Normalize !porridge despite species/mutations (except Vp/Mu)

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 14:40

Normalize !porridge despite species/mutations (except Vp/Mu)

The thread title sums up basic idea: Just make !porridge give the same nutrition to everything except Vp and Mu. Anything that normally eats food at all should just get the same ~6 k (IIRC) nutrition from chugging !porridge. This avoids weirdness for Gozag from having carnivorous species or picking up carnivorous mutations, and it removes strange special cases that don't have any real game play effect. !porridge isn't too strong or anything, it is supposed to be a meal-in-a-bottle, it should behave in that manner and give same benefit for all species that have a "starving––near starving–––––very full––engorged" food clock.

Gozag always gives porridge to all species as the d.) option of Potion Petition, except Vp, which would still be offered blood as now.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 15:18

Re: Normalize !porridge despite species/mutations (except Vp

The only mutation that affects porridge is carnivore 3 preventing you from getting any nutrition from it at all, so I don't think most of the special-casing and weirdness you're talking about actually exists? Only Felids, Kobolds and Ghouls are affected.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 15:25

Alternately, change it to potion of nutrition and have it give 6000 to all races.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 15:30

Lasty wrote:Alternately, change it to potion of nutrition and have it give 6000 to all races.

Yeah I mean adjust flavor (pardon the pun) accordingly, of course.

MarvinPA wrote:The only mutation that affects porridge is carnivore 3 preventing you from getting any nutrition from it at all, so I don't think most of the special-casing and weirdness you're talking about actually exists? Only Felids, Kobolds and Ghouls are affected.

Yes, and this affects how Gozag plays for those species. Not by very much, of course, but it is precisely the minuteness of the difference that makes removing the difference a good idea. (Incidental q: However rare, if you do end up with carnivore 3 mutation, would Gozag start offering potions of blood? Is that niche case covered?)

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 15:53

Though it isn't special-cased I do find the nutrition thing a little odd. It's particularly annoying as a Centaur; getting less nutrition from chunks and needing more because of fast metabolism. *shrug* In the extreme cases (Carnivore 3 and Herbivore 3) I get and see the differences and what they do; but in between; it's mostly just tedium.

• I agree with making !porridge into !nutrition.
  • I'd also suggest condensing meat rations and bread rations into... 'rations' while we are at it.
  • Making Carnivore/Herbivore a single level intrinsic mutation instead of the 3 levels of weirdness also appeals to me.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
and into

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 16:43

everyone in here wrote:You're already cutting all the charming little corners off the game, why not make it even blander?
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

For this message the author Megabass has received thanks: 3
Robotron, TeshiAlair, XuaXua

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 17:24

Megabass wrote:
everyone in here wrote:You're already cutting all the charming little corners off the game, why not make it even blander?

Because that "charming little corner" interferes (in however minor a way) with the conduct of a god?

I'm fine with flavor. I'm even fine with flavor for the sake of flavor. I'm not okay with things justifiable only in terms of flavor interfering with something like a new god, which adds a new strategic option to the game and brings more game play depth to it.

And also... Charming? Really?

I think having !porridge in the game is cute flavor, and frankly I'd be fine with it staying on that basis alone, since, you know, who is it hurting? But I don't see anything particularly charming, interesting, or flavorful about !porridge not being consumable by some species.

EDIT:
v Exactly what I had in mind. I like that vault. We should let all species benefit from !porridge so that even more enjoyment can be derived from that vault.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 17:26

think about that one bears vault

think about it

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
Lasty, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th May 2014, 17:54

and into wrote:(Incidental q: However rare, if you do end up with carnivore 3 mutation, would Gozag start offering potions of blood? Is that niche case covered?)
You can't get the diet mutations any longer, but if you could that edge case is indeed covered.

For this message the author sgrunt has received thanks:
and into

Return to Game Design Discussion