Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges Season 2 - Completed

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 03:52

Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges Season 2 - Completed

The competition is now complete.

CSDC Season 2 Results and Standings

The Week 1 challenge, VSSk, is now closed. High scorer: Tabstorm!
The Week 2 challenge, FoAE, is now closed. High scorer: Yermak!
The Week 3 challenge, OgAK, is now closed. High scorer: HilariousDeathArtist!
The Week 4 challenge, NaNe, is now closed. High scorer: Zooty!
The Week 5 challenge, KoHe, is now closed. High scorer: Roarke!
The Week 6 challenge, HuHu, is now closed. High scorer: HilariousDeathArtist!

Season 2 Playoff Results

Competition Information
Spoiler: show
Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges is a Crawl competition that aims to fill a niche between the biannual Crawl release tournaments and the much rarer dieselrobin events. The idea is for players to compete by trying to do as well as possible in a game of Crawl with one attempt only; if you die, that challenge is over (thus "sudden death", though you may - will - also die suddenly). This competition is a lower time commitment event that aims to challenges players, while simultaneously encouraging unusual characters and play styles that you might not normally consider.

Competition Rules:
*Note: Rules and format subject to change until the competition starts. Check back here for updates.
  Code:
   Format               
1   Each challenge consists of playing a randomly chosen Crawl race/class combo (e.g. DsTm).
2   You get ONE attempt to play each combo. The goal is to advance as far as possible (and win!) in each game, scoring points by reaching various in-game milestones. See "Scoring" below for details on earning points.
3   A new race/class combo will be announced on Friday evening each week of the competition. All players have 2 weeks to finish a game using that combo.
4   The season consists of 6 challenges total (i.e., 6 different combos).
5   Players are split into divisions based on approximate skill.  Divisions will be announced at the start of the competition and frozen when signups are closed. You only compete against the players in your division.
6   One redo is allowed if player XL < 5 (i.e., no redos once you hit XL 5). The highest score of the two games counts towards your score.
7   Each challenge has an optional bonus challenge in addition (see the "Overview" tab for the list). Each bonus will have two tiers; the second tier is more difficult, and worth more points.
8   Division winners are crowned via a one-game playoff after all 6 challenges. Playoff rules are below (see "Playoff Format").               

Restrictions
1   All games must be played online in TRUNK. Any logged server is allowable (CAO, CSZO, CLAN, CBRO, CDO, CKR).   
2   Playing the same race/class combo simultaneously on more than one server is not allowed. However, it is okay to practice each combo offline or using an alternate account; only games played on your designated account will be counted towards your score.            
3   Any races, classes, or gods that have not made it into a stable release will be ineligible for challenge combos (as of right now this includes Qazlal and Gozag). If a new race, class, or god is added to trunk during the season, it cannot be used for competition games.)
4   No races or classes will be selected for more than one challenge during the competition.
4   Each player's lowest weekly score will be dropped at the end of the challenges (does not affect miscellaneous points).

Scoring:
  Code:
   Weekly points (can be earned once per challenge):            
1   Kill a unique:                                           1 pt
2   Enter a multi-level branch of the Dungeon:               1 pt
3   Reach the end of any multi-level branch (includes D):    1 pt
4   Collect a rune:                                          1 pt
5   Collect 3 or more runes in a game:                       1 pt
6   Win a game (75,000 turns or more):                       1 pt
7   Win a game (less than 75,000 turns):                     2 pts
8   Complete a Tier I bonus:                                 1 pt
9   Complete a Tier II bonus*:                                3 pts
*Note, you only score points for the highest tier of bonus completed.

*   Maximum of 10 weekly points possible per game, for 50 maximum points.
*   Minimum of 6 weekly points per winning game, for 30 minimum points.

One-time points (earned only once per season):               
1   Win a game with 15 runes:                                3 pts
2   Enter Zot at XL 20 or lower:                             3 pts         
3   Season high score (in-game, per division):               3 pts         
4   Season min turn count win (per division):                3 pts
5   Win a game without entering Lair or Vaults:              10 pts         

*   Maximum of 22 one-time points possible during the season.

*   Total score is the sum of a player's weekly and one-time points, minus their lowest weekly score.
*   Maximum of 72 total points possible during the season.

Playoff Format:
  Code:
1   Each division has a separate playoff round. The top 4 players from each division after Week 6 are eligible to compete in their divisional playoff.
2   The playoff round consists of a one-game challenge, scored using the same rules as the weekly challenges.
3   The playoff round race/class combo and bonuses will be announced at the end of Week 6. All playoff games have 2 weeks to be completed.
4   Players are seeded according to their total season score. Seeding determines the XL cutoff to be eligible for a redo:
      #1 seed: Can redo if their first attempt ends at XL7 or below.
      #2 seed: Can redo if their first attempt ends at XL5 or below.
      #3 seed: Can redo if their first attempt ends at XL3 or below.
      #4 seed: Can redo if their first attempt ends at XL1.
    Tiebreakers for seeding are (in order): # of completed Tier II bonuses, # of completed total bonuses, # of wins, season high score (in-game).
5   The highest-scoring player in the playoff round (using weekly scoring rules, not Crawl's in-game score) is the division winner.
    Tiebreakers for the playoff round are (in order): Highest bonus tier completed, least turns to collect a rune, # of uniques killed, in-game score.

Changes from Season 1:
  Code:
Format Changes

*   Vine Stalkers, Formicids, and Dithmenos are now allowed for challenge games, as all were released in 0.14 stable.
*   Season length reduced from 10 games to 6, to avoid burnout due to season length.
*   Number of divisions reduced and number of players per division increased, to lessen impact of dropouts on division competitiveness.
*   Division winners to be decided by one-game playoff (see Playoff Format for details).
*   Redo criteria changed from XL < 4 to XL < 5, to compensate slightly for shorter season.

Scoring Changes

*   Removed points for 1st/2nd/3rd place per division for each challenge. This necessitated 15-runing and rewarded waiting to see results before playing games.
*   Removed points for winning with 6+ runes or losing with 10+ runes, to further remove pressure to complete 15-rune games.
*   Removed points for streak wins. This was redundant, as the competition allows only one try per challenge anyways.
*   Removed points for collecting a rune at XL 12 or lower. This was an unrealistically difficult challenge.
*   The lowest weekly score for each player is dropped (only best 5 are counted). This allows busy players to skip a challenge without penalty, and further helps to equalize bad luck over a shortened number of challenges.
*   Added points for in-game milestones rather than in-game score (branch enter, branch end, etc.). This creates a fixed, rather than relative, point scale for challenge scoring.
*   Added points for winning in less than 75,000 turns. This serves to roughly differentiate quality of wins by turn count rather than by in-game score, which is heavily influenced by # of runes.
*   Added new one-time bonuses to give players further challenges to attempt (see Scoring for details).

Big thanks to Lasty for helping me set up a more automated scoring system this season! The standings will now update automatically three or four times a day during the season. However, you can also use the bots in ##crawl to view relevant challenge information whenever you wish. If you find an error in the scoring sheet, please send me a message and I'll correct it as soon as possible.

Results from Season 1
Last edited by WalkerBoh on Saturday, 20th September 2014, 16:54, edited 46 times in total.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks: 8
and into, DracheReborn, DrKe, HilariousDeathArtist, rubinko, Sandman25, Tedronai, XuaXua

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 06:12

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges Season 2 - SIGNUPS OPEN

I'm in again. Thanks WalkerBoh!

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 06:46

KarsaOrlong will participate.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 07:24

I'm in!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 08:25

I'll sign up.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 08:39

Count me in. Also, there's no CDO on the server list, and I'm pretty sure RHF is quite dead.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 12:07

Count me in. Thank you!

Dis Charger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 12:25

Me too ! Previous one was lot of fun
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 12:46

I'm in, of course.

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 13:57

I'll be in again.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 14:17

Yes, please!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 14:26

Woo, second in line behind management.

QUESTIONS:

1) What are you using to determine race / class randomly?
2) Can a race or class or exact combination repeat on any subsequent round?
2) Are player ghosts considered uniques? If not, is there no reward for whacking them?
3) Any thought to giving a bonus point if your player ghost from the round kills another tournament player, or does that encourage one to play early, hard, and fail?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 17:21

Forgot to mention, if the username you use to play the games is different from your forum name, please tell me. I need that for tracking scores. 1st post updated to reflect this.

XuaXua wrote:1) What are you using to determine race / class randomly?
2) Can a race or class or exact combination repeat on any subsequent round?
2) Are player ghosts considered uniques? If not, is there no reward for whacking them?
3) Any thought to giving a bonus point if your player ghost from the round kills another tournament player, or does that encourage one to play early, hard, and fail?

1. I use "!rng @char" in ##crawl, which just selects a random playable char.
2. No. I re-roll if we get the same race or class. With 6 challenges there is no reason for repeats.
2. Nope, ghosts are not uniques. Ghosts aren't guaranteed in a game (if you play on a lower volume server, for example), and points should have equal availability in each game.
3. I won't add something like this. It's impossible for me to track and is way too variable. Plus, you shouldn't be rewarded for leaving a ghost. :wink:

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 18:08

Treerex5 is ready to quaff lignification potions for this.

In other words,

I'm In.
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 18:09

I'll be playing on "minmay".

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 18:12

duvessa wrote:I'll be playing on "minmay".

Knew it. [b][I just knew it/b]

Also, i'll be playing on treerex5.
Lord of Lignification, we bow down to you.

...why aren't you bowing? Stop reading this and bow.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 19:33

I'm in, this seems like a great reason to splat an unfamiliar combo every week.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 19:49

I'll join again :)

Rules suggestion: Also exclude the hall of blades from counting for a point. I know I'll forget to enter it, and it just encourages people to go in and step right back out for a free point.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:05

I'll join.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:09

I'd be happy to give a single orc priest yet another chance to triple-smite me. :D
So count me in.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:18

tasonir wrote:Rules suggestion: Also exclude the hall of blades from counting for a point. I know I'll forget to enter it, and it just encourages people to go in and step right back out for a free point.

My understanding is that you get only 1 point from entering a branch per game so if you play 5 games and die in Lair every time, you still get 1 point in every game (total 5).

If instead you play 5 games, enter Lair, Orcish Mines and die in Vaults every time, you still get 1 point in every game (total 5). So there is no reason to enter second non-Temple branch in every game, it does not add points.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:22

That's correct. I'm not totally happy with how it's worded but I'm not sure how to make it clearer without being long-winded.

All of the "Weekly points" are given once per challenge the first time you earn them - so entering multiple branches or killing multiple uniques still only gives 1 pt per week.

Edit: the reason I excluded Temple is to make the "branch enter" milestone requiring making it slightly further, to at least D:8. You get a point around D3 for a unique, another around D:8-10 for a branch, another about 15 deep for end of branch (end of lair, orc, or D), then on 1st rune, 3rd rune, and winning.
Last edited by WalkerBoh on Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:25

Yes, the description is not clear enough, at least for non-native English speakers. My understanding was result of solving a puzzle - how is it possible to have "* Maximum of 10 weekly points possible per game, for 50 maximum points.
* Minimum of 6 weekly points per winning game, for 30 minimum points." in the rules :)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:28

Yeah that's why I added the point total, to help clarify. Perhaps I will add a short example section later to make the scoring clearer.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:36

Ah, that makes more sense. As I thought it was, you'd have gotten a lot more points for going around killing uniques than actually winning. Thanks for the correction.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 20:56

I think I'm up for this. Count me in.
10 Wins: NaGl* (15) MuCj (15) DsFE* (4) DsWn*+ (5,8) HaBe (3) DECj (15) SpAK (5) GrBe+ (4) HoCK+ (15)
* on CAO; + on CZO

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 21:45

Firstly, sign me up for duty, sir!

Secondly, awesome job in the official tournament, Walkerboh. You were awesome. 5 game win streak *boggles*.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 02:00

If you accept really mediocre players, count me in. I mostly play as Strat on CSZO.

Thanks.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 02:35

fearitself wrote:Firstly, sign me up for duty, sir!

Secondly, awesome job in the official tournament, Walkerboh. You were awesome. 5 game win streak *boggles*.

That's nothing. I think I have a longer non-win game streak from the tournament.

I'll let diligent fact-checkers confirm that.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 07:51

Count me in :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 08:47

I'll play this time too!

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 17:58

Count me in!
I play as Xen.
Comborobin Admin

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 20:12

I'm in!
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 23:32

I'm in.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 23:54

me2

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th May 2014, 22:29

Yes, I'm up for more of this.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 4th May 2014, 23:09

I'm in, playing on "hypertraveller". Thanks for going to the trouble of running this
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 4th May 2014, 23:57

Update: The scoring for branch enter now reads, "Enter a multi-level branch of the Dungeon". This means Temple and all portal vaults are excluded - the only branches you can enter for points are Lair, Orc, Depths, and Abyss.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 14:17

WalkerBoh wrote:Update: The scoring for branch enter now reads, "Enter a multi-level branch of the Dungeon". This means Temple and all portal vaults are excluded - the only branches you can enter for points are Lair, Orc, Depths, and Abyss.

What about Elf, Vaults, Each of the Hells, Crypt, Tomb (And I suppose Zot?)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 15:18

In order to enter Vaults, Elf, etc. you would need to have already entered Lair, Orc, Abyss or Depths. So you would already have the points for entering a branch.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 15:24

I'm in!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 14:53

I'm in, playing as Lacuenta on CAO
aka: Innameasone and electricaloddity

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 17:46

cheibrodos is ready for round 2
take it easy

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 7th May 2014, 23:10

I'd like to join, even if I am quite bad at this game.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 18:43

I had a thought, is Wanderer excluded? That would make the random characters even more random.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 9th May 2014, 20:51

No, Wanderer is allowed. There is only a 6 out of 27 chance of drawing it though.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 12th May 2014, 11:20

I am in.

Thx

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 02:07

Sign me up.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 06:04

Zicher joins the fray. Expect a few splats :)
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 13th May 2014, 12:02

archaeo wrote:I'll play this time too!

omg really