FR: Customizable Skill Alerts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 2nd May 2014, 21:59

FR: Customizable Skill Alerts

This is a suggested addition to the interface of the skills menu. When I'm adjusting my skill focuses, I often have in mind goal numbers that, when reached, would necessitate another visit to the menu: "I'll focus M&F until 16," "I'll focus dodging until 22," etc. Running over is not disastrous, but it'd be less cognitive overhead if I could set the target number on the skill screen itself, and get a "MORE" prompt in the main game when said skill reached that point.

Suggested functionality would work similar to the drop menu. Type a letter and simply toggle between "untrain", "train" and "focus". Type a number (integer between 1-27) and then a letter (that would set the skill to train or focus), and you will set an alert that will fire when the goal is reached. To erase an alert, simply toggle the skill to off. All currently set alerts could be listed with their targets at the bottom of the skill window: "Polearms target = 22".

For this message the author bisonbisonbison has received thanks: 2
Brannock, Patashu

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 03:25

Re: FR: Customizable Skill Alerts

Rather than an alert, how about simply turning off the skill when it reaches that point?

If that was the only skill you were training, it would still result in a pause, as the game would then force you to pick a skill to train. However, if you had multiple skill targets set, the training would keep going without your intervention.

This would also help in the early game in those odd situations where you kill an out of depth monster while training a skill that is at a low level and good aptitude: rather than gaining 3 levels in the skill when you just wanted one, you would gain 1 level, then be forced to repick a skill to train, redistributing the skill points where you want them.

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 3rd May 2014, 18:46

bisonbisonbison wrote:it'd be less cognitive overhead if I could set the target number on the skill screen itself, and get a "MORE" prompt in the main game when said skill reached that point.

Just add this to your rc-file:

Code:
force_more_message += increases to

You'll get a -more- whenever a skill reaches a new level.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks:
XuaXua

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 19:38

Re:

Turukano wrote:
bisonbisonbison wrote:it'd be less cognitive overhead if I could set the target number on the skill screen itself, and get a "MORE" prompt in the main game when said skill reached that point.

Just add this to your rc-file:

Code:
force_more_message += increases to

You'll get a -more- whenever a skill reaches a new level.

That's helpful. I do think there's an added benefit from this suggestion though, just by allowing some planning and then hands-off until the milestone is reached.

Return to Game Design Discussion