Better inventory

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 5th January 2011, 23:58

Better inventory

Hello,
I hate just saying 'I want a better this and that' but I've always thought that the inventory in crawl could use abit of a tidy (I know it already is slightly organized). Now I know its not a big inv. to look through but I think it'd be a lot better if it could be organized into categories which could all be viewed at the same time in downward columns. For instance:

|weapons|armour|potions|scrolls|magicitems|
|xxxxxxx|xxxxxx|xxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|
|xxxxxxx|xxxxxx|xxxxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxxxxxx|

I don't know how we'd be for space with it, but I can't help thinking it'd look better!

All the best,
Bim
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 11:39

Re: Better inventory

For clarification, are you talking about the way the inventory is displayed in tiles?

Even so, I don't think this is feasible because the numbers of each item can vary wildly. Transmuters might have 20 potions but only a single weapon, whereas Hunters might carry 10 different types of ammunition but carry few wands.

Having a smarter sorting for the tiled inventory would be nice, though. Maybe put it on the wiki.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 17:53

Re: Better inventory

Sorry, Yes I meant the tile inventory. I suppose the only way to get round that would be a dynamically sizing inventory, but that would be a lot of work. But as you said even a smarter sorting one would be nice, I'll put it on the wiki!
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Return to Game Design Discussion