Let Beogh gift high level orcs to high level players

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 09:47

Let Beogh gift high level orcs to high level players

Recently I've played a HoFi of Beogh and it was smooth sailing with my 6 orc warlords until Zot:5 when an unlucky encounter with pack of draconians and stray orb of fire reduced them to corpses within few turns (despite them rocking randart gear and crossbows with branded ammo)

When such things happen Beogh sometimes grants you permanent orc followers, but these are always Orcs, Orc Wizards or Orc Priests. In Zot:5 they die as soon as something looks at them funny and I've ran out of easier things to school them on long time ago.

My suggestion is to make these allies scale with your XL.

Take these numbers with a grain of salt:

Code:
XL 1-12  Orc (80%), Orc Warrior (19%) Orc Knight (1%), Orc Wizard (90%) Orc Sorceror (10%), Orc priest (95%), Orc High Priest (5%)
XL 12-17 Orc (40%), Orc Warrior (30%) Orc Knight (20%), Orc Wizard (60%) Orc Sorceror (40%), Orc priest (70%), Orc High Priest (30%)
XL 17-27 Orc Warrior (40%) Orc Knight (40%) Orc Warlord (20%), Orc Sorceror (100%), Orc priest (30%), Orc High Priest (70%)
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greatplayer!
[09:23] <Sequell> kroki is a greaterplayer!
[03:57] <Sequell> kroki is a polytheist!
[21:53] <Sequell> kroki is a greatberserker!

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 10:49

Re: Beogh needs fixing, suggestions inside

Playing Beogh is super fun and I enjoyed hours spent gearing and taking care of my orcs but accidents happen and it would be awesome if you could somehow stand up after losing your warlords in late game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 11:32

this will make him Yred, but with orcs. the point of beogh is that you must take care of your followers, give them equipment and experience, see them level up, and then become really useful.
the way to fix beogh, IMO, would be to give the player the ability to stop recruiting. having 300 useless orcs in sight makes taking care of the ones that matter terrible.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 12:10

Hirsch I wrote:having 300 useless orcs in sight makes taking care of the ones that matter terrible.

To me it has this great "survival of the fittest" when you leave orc mines with a fanatical mob of orcs who see you as their Orc Jesus. They plunder and try to kill everything that moves, no matter the dangers. In the end few of them survive and rise in the ranks. Pretty fucking cool and first time I felt immersed in this game.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 17:04

The fact that Beogh now gifts permanent orc followers, and doesn't just recruit them, means that Beogh has already been "Yred-ified." It sounds like the OP has a point, then, that if Beogh is going to have some Yred-like characteristics, then those might as well function reasonably.

I would not allow any possibility (even just 1%) for stuff like Orc Knights or Orc Sorcerors at low levels, however. So I'd disagree with the numbers you recommend, though I support the general idea.

Mod note: In GDD please title your threads in a manner that is as descriptively accurate as possible. I'm going to rename this thread "Let Beogh gift high level orcs to high level players." See here for details: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7178

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
Klown

Eringya's Employee

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 18:31

Re: Let Beogh gift high level orcs to high level players

Even though I have never come close to winning with my Beoghites, I'd like to point out that I believe that you're not supposed to take your orcs with you everywhere. You'll end up underleveled and they're very likely to die in some branches. Zot is one of those. You can think of your orcs as support to call when you think you're going to need them. You should tell them to stay in previous levels and call them when you need their help. It's fun to let your minions kill and grow but you shouldn't forget that you're the main character and you need to be formidable on your own.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 18:36

TehDruid wrote:Even though I have never come close to winning with my Beoghites, I'd like to point out that I believe that you're not supposed to take your orcs with you everywhere. You'll end up underleveled and they're very likely to die in some branches. Zot is one of those. You can think of your orcs as support to call when you think you're going to need them. You should tell them to stay in previous levels and call them when you need their help. It's fun to let your minions kill and grow but you shouldn't forget that you're the main character and you need to be formidable on your own.

That's all true. However, *if* Beogh is going to give you orc followers as gifts, then I do think it is a bit silly if you are level 26 and you just get some plain vanilla orcs.

Anyway, one (thematic) way to distinguish Beogh from Yred and also helping prevent a misjudgment from killing off you whole entourage: At high piety, Beogh has a chance to resurrect your Orc followers that have fallen in battle. So if you keep piety high, you get a bit of mitigation against certain enemies (fire crabs, bogart packs) getting lucky and massacring half your guys. This could replace or supplement Beogh gifting you Orc followers.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
File200

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 20:41

and into wrote:
TehDruid wrote:Anyway, one (thematic) way to distinguish Beogh from Yred and also helping prevent a misjudgment from killing off you whole entourage: At high piety, Beogh has a chance to resurrect your Orc followers that have fallen in battle. So if you keep piety high, you get a bit of mitigation against certain enemies (fire crabs, bogart packs) getting lucky and massacring half your guys. This could replace or supplement Beogh gifting you Orc followers.

I really like this idea. At high piety, you are already Orc Jesus, and. I think at *****, it wouldn't be unreasonable to raise the dead. Now I don't know what the chance for dropping a corpse is, but it's definitely not guaranteed, (33%?), with that, you should be able to ge a couple of them back. A requirement should be a corpse though.
Greaterplayer
Greatrace:Ds,Dr,Mf(1st)
Greatrole:Wz(1st),Mo(1st),AM(1st),EE(1st)

Barkeep

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 20:46

^ I should be clear: This idea has been suggested before and is fairly old even, I think. Certainly I'm not the first to suggest it. But I do think it is a good idea.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 5th May 2014, 23:47

and into wrote:
TehDruid wrote:Even though I have never come close to winning with my Beoghites, I'd like to point out that I believe that you're not supposed to take your orcs with you everywhere. You'll end up underleveled and they're very likely to die in some branches. Zot is one of those. You can think of your orcs as support to call when you think you're going to need them. You should tell them to stay in previous levels and call them when you need their help. It's fun to let your minions kill and grow but you shouldn't forget that you're the main character and you need to be formidable on your own.

That's all true. However, *if* Beogh is going to give you orc followers as gifts, then I do think it is a bit silly if you are level 26 and you just get some plain vanilla orcs.

Anyway, one (thematic) way to distinguish Beogh from Yred and also helping prevent a misjudgment from killing off you whole entourage: At high piety, Beogh has a chance to resurrect your Orc followers that have fallen in battle. So if you keep piety high, you get a bit of mitigation against certain enemies (fire crabs, bogart packs) getting lucky and massacring half your guys. This could replace or supplement Beogh gifting you Orc followers.

I like this idea, but I think if it is implemented it should be an activated ability. If your orcs are resurrected in view of a dangerous enemy, they'll just get killed again immediately.

Eringya's Employee

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 13:21

Wrong quotes, Sharkman1231. xD
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 6th May 2014, 17:19

I'm confused by this because I recently ran beogh in trunk and I'm pretty sure that when I did have an empty level and he gifted me followers, I was directly given an orc knight. That was a one time thing, but I got orc warriors several times. Obviously you get a lot more plain orcs and priests/wizards, and they mostly die, but I have been given knights, who have considerable survivability. Also when you're down in zot with a plain orc, you pretty much get them up to knight in one fight if they manage to not die. That'll probably mean you need to zone them out of the fight, which may not always be possible, but sometimes it is.

Return to Game Design Discussion