--more-- after every fight

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2011, 05:56

--more-- after every fight

I just downloaded the new version of SS (tiles) and I keep getting prompted with --more-- during/after combat. I've been looking through the options, but I'm not sure how/if I can make it stop.

help?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2011, 07:28

Re: --more-- after every fight

You get more prompts because there's too many messages in a single turn to fit in the message area. There's several way to deal with it:

Increase message area by using the msg_min_height option (maybe should have a higher default value?).
Disable "filled message more prompts" with "show_more = false". You'll still get more prompts for important events.
mute some unimportant messages (see settings/messages.txt).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
forbiddenspell

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 6th May 2011, 04:38

Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th May 2011, 19:43

This happens to me all the time; I always edit the options before I start a new distribution.

I never noticed it in 7 and the first few versions of 8 that I downloaded, but one day it was suddenly almost constant, and I hadn't changed anything on my side than just downloading and using the "latest" release.

I reported it as the first half of this bug, the second half having to do with that experience movement bug that was resolved.

Regarding issue 3600, galahar did explain that it was my viewing screen, and I guess I do agree, but the thing is, I wasn't getting this many more prompts before I updated. Once I updated to whatever version I put that bug under, I suddenly had many more "-- more --" posts out the wazoo. And I hadn't changed my screen area.

I think this may possibly actually be a chronic problem that devs might be either attuned to or blocking out due to their own configs, or not using tiles.

ForbiddenSpell - what version did you upgrade from and to?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 6th May 2011, 20:23

I think I changed the default layout a while back. That's why I'm saying it should probably use a bigger message area by default. I'll fix it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 6th May 2011, 20:53

I always uncomment "show_more = false" ever since you explained it, but it would be cool to see the underlying issue addressed. Thanks, g.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 08:58

Thanks for explaining how to fix this issue, the game is significantly more enjoyable to play now that its not being constantly interrupted by "more".

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 18:43

Remember you have to do this every time you update your build (I always run a comparison against the settings; I also have arbitrary force mores for inviso.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 07:42

XuaXua wrote:Remember you have to do this every time you update your build (I always run a comparison against the settings; I also have arbitrary force mores for inviso.

To keep my options when upgrading, I put them in a myprefs.txt file and start crawl like that:

Code:
crawl -extra-opt-last include=myprefs.txt

there's only an issue with the runrest_stop_message option which doesn't work properly like that for some reason. Otherwise, it's quite useful.

Return to Technical Support