Door opens, door shuts

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 20:42

Door opens, door shuts

Monsters remain poisoned

End this scummy tyranny please, but only after I finish this game
Last edited by twelwe on Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 04:04, edited 2 times in total.
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

For this message the author twelwe has received thanks: 3
dolphin, Sandman25, TeshiAlair

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:09

Re: Door opens, door shuts

'Monster sticks its foot in the door.'

'Monster forces its way through.'

If there is monster in pursuit of you, then you can't close a door adjacent to that monster.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:30

Energy randomization stops this, doesn't it? The monster will step into the door sooner or later.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 21:51

Leafsnail wrote:Energy randomization stops this, doesn't it? The monster will step into the door sooner or later.
This is correct.

Opening a door could just take an aut or two less than closing it, perhaps only you opened it a turn or so after it was closed if you want to effect just this one case.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks: 2
dolphin, duvessa

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 22nd April 2014, 22:42

This is called 'door dancing', it's basically pillar dancing on the spot except more powerful because it works on ranged enemies just as well as on melee-ers. Energy randomization makes this eventually fail. It's still very powerful.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 23rd April 2014, 02:23

I've been killed by an allied demonic guardian opening a door that I closed the previous turn, allowing sight for an orc priest to smite me. Units under your control should respect doors (maybe only if they see you close/open it?).

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 19:44

Doors should not be a defensive element in crawl to this degree

seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 21:22

I don't think player use of the wildly powerful death cloud spells that monsters have no meaningful way to deal with is really germane to the door-dancing issue. One could reasonably argue that the clouds are overpowered, but removing doors from the game would not suddenly change that status quo. More relevant to the issue of door-dancing would be situations where door-dancing provides a miniscule but real advantage, like incremental hp or mp recovery, rather than situations where it clinches a victory that has clearly already been won. Door-dancing some orcs so you can recover mp from 0 to 6 in order to cast a Bolt of Foo and then door-dancing for another 6mp so you can cast it again is undesirable behavior. Stalling for a few turns after you kill everything until the last stragglers realize that they are dead is not so clear.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 26th April 2014, 21:32

KoboldLord wrote:I don't think player use of the wildly powerful death cloud spells that monsters have no meaningful way to deal with is really germane to the door-dancing issue. One could reasonably argue that the clouds are overpowered, but removing doors from the game would not suddenly change that status quo. More relevant to the issue of door-dancing would be situations where door-dancing provides a miniscule but real advantage, like incremental hp or mp recovery, rather than situations where it clinches a victory that has clearly already been won. Door-dancing some orcs so you can recover mp from 0 to 6 in order to cast a Bolt of Foo and then door-dancing for another 6mp so you can cast it again is undesirable behavior. Stalling for a few turns after you kill everything until the last stragglers realize that they are dead is not so clear.

I'm not advocating removal of doors, I just want monsters to be able to enter a door tile the same turn as opening it

Return to Game Design Discussion