resistances

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 15:46

resistances

Not all the time. rHoly isn't that important (Holy pan blows chunks, but other than that I don't think holy monsters show up that often).

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 15:59

Re: Proposal: Iashol, God of balance and sacrifice

Holy Pan is better than tomb. [/off topic]

One issue that a '-' pip in a random resistance brings up is we don't currently have a meaning for rN- or rElec- and those would have to be coded. PERSONALLY I think they should have been long ago, but that's neither here nor there. (only thing I -don't- think needs a '-' tick of resistance is Hellfire; because that's meant to just ignore resistances, like smiting does.)

My proposed meanings thereof:
rN-: You take 50% extra damage from draining and (including skill XP damage/Drain Status). Pain does 33% more damage. Vampiric attacks heal the attacker for 100% (instead of 50%) of the damage done (but no bonus damage). Torment takes 2/3's (instead of 1/2) of your current HP; [will kill you directly if you have 1 or 2 HP left.]
rElec-: Electric attacks ignore your AC completely (instead of checking 1/2 of it).
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 16:06

rN-: You take 50% extra damage from draining and (including skill XP damage/Drain Status). Pain does 33% more damage. Vampiric attacks heal the attacker for 100% (instead of 50%) of the damage done (but no bonus damage). Torment takes 2/3's (instead of 1/2) of your current HP; [will kill you directly if you have 1 or 2 HP left.]
rElec-: Electric attacks ignore your AC completely (instead of checking 1/2 of it).

rN- being so complicated is probably a good reason to not add it, especially if it would only apply to this god.
With regard to rElec-, why would you make it work differently from rF- or rC-? You are introducing a new mechanic - an unintuitive one at that, because I assume players would assume that rFoo- effects are symmetrical - to achieve something very similar to rF- or rC- does.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 16:32

Some of us have been discussing a god here.

khalil: Do you have anything to add to the actual topic? If not, please keep your opinions on other topics to other threads.
To be clear: Your last message would be off-putting in most places; it sticks out like a sore thumb in this thread.

(Mod edit: the post in question is gone, woops)

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, Lasty

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 17:07

cerebovssquire wrote:rN- being so complicated is probably a good reason to not add it, especially if it would only apply to this god.
With regard to rElec-, why would you make it work differently from rF- or rC-? You are introducing a new mechanic - an unintuitive one at that, because I assume players would assume that rFoo- effects are symmetrical - to achieve something very similar to rF- or rC- does.

rN- is no more complicated that rN+ (which affects things in similar proportion).
rElec- yea you are probably right, though rElec+ already isn't congruent with rF+. [rF+ = 50% damage reduction; rElec+ = 66% damage reduction.] I just thought something unique tied to the element's gimmick would be interesting (similar to how rPois- doesn't actually do much to direct poison damage (you take the same damage from String and B.Venom as normal); but take increased damage per tick of poison status.)
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th April 2014, 17:19

bcadren wrote:
cerebovssquire wrote:rN- being so complicated is probably a good reason to not add it, especially if it would only apply to this god.

rN- is no more complicated that rN+ (which affects things in similar proportion).
rElec- yea you are probably right, though rElec+ already isn't congruent with rF+. [rF+ = 50% damage reduction; rElec+ = 66% damage reduction.] I just thought something unique tied to the element's gimmick would be interesting (similar to how rPois- doesn't actually do much to direct poison damage (you take the same damage from String and B.Venom as normal); but take increased damage per tick of poison status.)

It would be interesting if it had a significantly different effect than boosting elec damage by a certain damage. But both amount to more damage at the end of the day, so making the player learn an additional rule isn't worth it. I'm not suggesting that rElec- should get some unique property, just staying with the normal effect of rFoo- is fine. Players wouldn't expect anything else.

rN- does mirror rN+, but that doesn't necessarily make it intuitive (mostly referring to its effect on vamp. draining here - the player probably wouldn't know whether to expect more damage or more monster healing, and of course noone expects being killed by torment).

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner