Unable to proceed past the early game

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 16:22

Re: Unable to proceed past the early game

Nah, RTFM isn't snark. We use it all the time on some of the other forums i belong to. It's RTFA on Fark, and it's just a common phrase in most places. You imagine the F stands for Fornication (or some other word meaning the same thing), but it could just as easily stand for "Free" because the manual is free. Or "Freaking" because why not.

To insult you, he could have said "For more information, read the free novel I painstakingly typed and included into the game. It's about some Spanish guy name Manual."

//ok, i have nothing new to contribute, but this thread is full of good information. The best advice I ever got was from a thread I saw last year where the person posting showed pairs of two screenshots, 1) When I notice an enemy, and 2) Where I fight that enemy.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 21st February 2014, 18:17

Hopeless wrote:Some down right funny posts here and some useful ones too. Sorry I haven't been available recently. Had a MTGO article to write and other things occupying my attention. I've done some runs with various Vms and my current one is a OcVM, still early on but I started getting the hang of it. The biggest difficulty being that some monsters just shrug at the whole Venom line. On a previous run my OcVm got to level 10 and was slain by a Basilisk in L1. Honestly though people have said otherwise I have found the Mines easier (except OM4). I was doing great, then splat! And yep I like the advice to try different things when it gets boring. That's been my approach all along which is why I am still plugging away at this.

I am sure this current run will splat eventually and then I'll start over again. I have shied away from Necromancer because the few times I played it, it seemed like a ton of overhead to keep up an undead army. I don't recall getting the Pain spell so maybe I'll try that angle again.

Thanks again for all the great insights into the game. I do recall it took me a while (many months) before I had some success in most of the other Roguelikes so I should expect no less here. Just need to keep my chin up, and change things up when I get frustrated/bored.

What do you mean by "overhead to keep up undead army"? Your minions are just backup insurance. Summon them and ignore them until you face a challenging monster, then use them as meat shields + extra damage. They don't follow you between levels so their job is to make your life easier on the current floor. Also you begin with the pain spell memorized... use it.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 07:49

Keep in mind that Necromancers aren't going to be able to rely purely on their spells for damage. At some point you'll want to start training a weapon skill. Polearms are good since you can poke at enemies from behind your minions, and staves give good damage for low investment and will pay off if/when you find a staff of death.

Also, you can hit ctrl+e to make yourself travel at the same speed as your undead while autoexploring, so you don't keep leaving them behind.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 22nd February 2014, 20:49

The ctrl+e tip is helpful, and training for some type of melee is a good thing with basically any character and necromancers are no exception, however your starting book can handle pretty much anything for quite some time, with the exception of some tough mid-tier demons. But those are very rare outside of certain weird circumstances and/or vaults.

EDIT: I guess just to clarify—probably I am reading too much into what Viashino_wizard wrote, but I felt there was an implication that "pure necromancy" is bad whereas "pure conjuration" or "pure summoning" or something isn't. I think "pure" anything is a bad way to play Crawl, but if you are going to play it that way, I think relying almost entirely on necromancy to kill things and not training any weapon skill is really not much worse or less viable than relying entirely on conjurations and never hitting stuff with a weapon.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 08:08

tedric wrote:Winning isn't everything.
Take it on faith that EVERY game is winnable.

That's really good advice, though that said, winning is still freaking awesome. It'll give you that feeling of "Oh that dude died, but at least I know I can win in principle!" :D

Either way I have another two bits that helped me, when I was stuck getting killed midgame:

Play online/Spectate This can help you a great deal. Even if you dont play online - due to lag or not wanting others to laugh about your failure (that happens rarely) it will still give you a live experience of other players play-styles. Good and bad. ;)

Play some Wanderers - And I don't mean that you scum them, no just take what the game gives you and try very hard to make it work. For me that was an interesting learning experience, showing how little really depends on the background and how much you are in control of your character. Also Wanderers are rarely really bad, just unconventional.

and into wrote: I guess just to clarify—probably I am reading too much into what Viashino_wizard wrote, but I felt there was an implication that "pure necromancy" is bad whereas "pure conjuration" or "pure summoning" or something isn't. I think "pure" anything is a bad way to play Crawl, but if you are going to play it that way, I think relying almost entirely on necromancy to kill things and not training any weapon skill is really not much worse or less viable than relying entirely on conjurations and never hitting stuff with a weapon.

Okay, I'll disagree on this one. Maybe I'm missing something, but I found pure necromancy a bad choice of playstyle. Sure one could use Haunt I suppose (too tedious for me). But on the direct damage side of things, necromancy looses it's worth at some point - so for me at least a necromancer transitions into a melee dude supported by minions and utility spells, while it is possible and even fun to mostly use a bunch of conjurations, since those scale through the whole game, make for short fights and are able to kill everything, demons/undead/oof included. (This is be offtopic, though, I'd be interested in your reasoning nevertheless).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 08:31

also, play some really fragile species. that will teach you to be the coward you need to be. Op really helped meon that point. my first win was with Ds, I learned a lot about adaptation with it. also playing some nagas teaches you to be careful, as a single fatfinger can screw you a lot.
play some Xomnites too. they teach adaptation very well.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 08:42

wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg
wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg (19.67 KiB) Viewed 11125 times
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 4
Arkhan, tedric, ZipZipskins, zogre

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 08:55

Hirsch I wrote:also, play some really fragile species. that will teach you to be the coward you need to be. Op really helped meon that point. my first win was with Ds, I learned a lot about adaptation with it. also playing some nagas teaches you to be careful, as a single fatfinger can screw you a lot.
play some Xomnites too. they teach adaptation very well.

That sounds a bit on the perverse side. I mean if I want to be frustrated for a bit I guess I can try that again :P. But seriously I have done exactly that, before I ever came to these forums I was playing badly with Xom (I had no idea) and while I didn't play the wanderer class (tourist much? why not call it that?) I played each race in .13 at least once. I am sad there is no Djinn (mentioned in another thread) as that sounds pretty awful. Despite knowing better I still clumsily engage the keyboard, fat-fingering away. Which is funny because I've been a guitarist for 36+ years. Though coming here passively taught me a number of the short cuts that were not apparent to me. (I had no idea about Tab keying. And it still seems like a bad idea now that I've tried it. Also had no idea about the upper 5 key rest since I am used to using the number key pad 5 for that.) Autoexplore (o) seems bad too past a certain level. I do intend to make a character that deliberately wears as much cursed stuff as I can get and worship the shattered god guy. Seems like a trip in total masochism. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two.

OTOH I've learned about Kiting and running away creatively (I knew some of that before and I was a little dismayed when I first learned that the only way to transform the environment is with magic/prayer/items since there is no digging skill and no shovels or mining picks.) I learned a bit more about how the backgrounds and races mesh to make synergistic builds. I am still playing badly but now I am doing so armed with better information. I expect someday I will arrive victorious from the Lair, OM, and various other vaults and unceremoniously die in Hell or Zot or whatever. :) I look forward to that.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 08:56

XuaXua wrote:

[snip]

Zugzwang eh?

For this message the author Hopeless has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 09:45

using tab and o prevents lots of mistakes. 5 too.
tab: highly reduces your chance of pressing the wrong button and moving to a dangerous place. also takes the shortest route to the nearest monster, wich can be very important.
o: autoexplore stops when something important happens, manual exploring does not. at least 1/3 of my deaths in the first month happened because of not using this 2 keys.

also, ashenzari is amazing. it enhances your skills greatly, and provides a lot of info. knowing where the monsters are, peeking trough walls... and remove curse is very common, it is really no big deal to keep yourself cursed.

Hopeless wrote:That sounds a bit on the perverse side

oh deer, no, I'm one of the good guys! :lol:
I suggest playing with fragile characters because if you get used to being smashed by every gnoll, you will become more careful, even when playing Mi or Gr.
I suggest playing Ds because... well, because it is good, fun, powerful and teaches about adaptation.
I suggest playing Na because a new player often thinks just one wrong move wont kill you. this is not true, and Na shows this more than any other race.
xom I guess is a little too much.
nothing you read will beat experience. took me 5 months of constant crawling and over 600 characters to get my first win, but none of those were wasted. I had fun, and I learned a lot. and still learn.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 11:05

Hopeless wrote:I had no idea about Tab keying. And it still seems like a bad idea now that I've tried it.

Play a polearmer and you'll change your mind.

Also had no idea about the upper 5 key rest since I am used to using the number key pad 5 for that.)

shift+numpad5 also works that way (that's on tiles, on console it's just numpad5)

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 11:19

stickyfingers wrote:
Hopeless wrote:I had no idea about Tab keying. And it still seems like a bad idea now that I've tried it.

Play a polearmer and you'll change your mind.

Also had no idea about the upper 5 key rest since I am used to using the number key pad 5 for that.)

shift+numpad5 also works that way (that's on tiles, on console it's just numpad5)

That might explain some of my confusion. I played DCSS a long long time ago on tiles and when I first got it recently I got the console version and found it too small to see anything properly so I downloaded the tiles and I expected the keys to be the same exact thing.

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 12:04

YASD #426426471
  Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.13.1 (tiles) character file.

16052 Thierge the Reanimator (level 12, 0/99 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Necromancer on Feb 22, 2014.
             Was an Elder of Makhleb.
             Slain by a blink frog (5 damage)
             ... on Level 2 of the Lair of Beasts on Feb 23, 2014.
             The game lasted 02:51:06 (16165 turns).

Thierge the Reanimator (Deep Dwarf Necromancer)    Turns: 16165, Time: 02:51:06

HP   0/99        AC  7     Str 12      XL: 12   Next:  4%
MP   3/28        EV 23     Int 21      God: Makhleb [****..]
Gold 274         SH  0     Dex 13      Spells: 11 memorised,  4 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   a - +1,+4 elf dagger (elec)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : .   I - +2 elf robe {MR+}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : +   (no helmet)
Res.Elec. : +       Clarity    : .   E - +0 cloak of Starlight {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth-}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   q - +0 pair of gloves (curse)
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   j - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Flight     : .   G - amulet of resist corrosion
Saprovore : . . .                    F - ring of see invisible
                                     s - +3 ring of evasion

@: non-regenerating, drained, very resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, sense surroundings 2, slow healing 3,
spit poison 1
a: Device Recharging, Spit Poison, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb,
Major Destruction, Renounce Religion

You were on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worshipped Makhleb.
Makhleb was greatly pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and saw 15 of its levels.
You also visited: Sewer.

You collected 846 gold pieces.
You spent 592 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +1,+4 elven dagger of electrocution (weapon)
 H - the cursed +3,+2 mace "Maffeeta" {vamp, Dex+3 SInv, unknown}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It inflicts no extra harm, but heals its wielder somewhat when it strikes a
   living foe.

It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 T - a +0,+3 scimitar of flaming
Missiles
 m - 24 poisoned needles
Armour
 j - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 q - a cursed +0 pair of gloves (worn)
 E - the +0 cloak of Starlight (worn) {rElec rC+ EV+4 Stlth-}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)   

It affects your evasion (+4).
   It protects you from cold.
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It makes you much less stealthy.
 I - a +2 elven robe of magic resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 c - a wand of heal wounds (3)
 e - a wand of fire (3) {unknown}
 g - a wand of frost (13) {unknown}
 z - a wand of disintegration (10)
 N - a wand of flame (4)
Comestibles
 p - a bread ration
 X - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 t - 2 scrolls of recharging
 y - a scroll of teleportation
 A - a scroll of remove curse
 Q - a scroll of vulnerability
 Z - a scroll of fear
Jewellery
 r - an uncursed ring of flight
 s - a +3 ring of evasion (left hand)
 v - an uncursed ring of poison resistance
 B - an uncursed ring of invisibility
 F - a ring of see invisible (right hand)
 G - an amulet of resist corrosion (around neck)
 S - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation {unknown}
Potions
 d - 2 potions of degeneration {unknown}
 k - 4 potions of resistance
 l - 2 potions of agility {unknown}
 n - 2 potions of speed
 u - a potion of magic {unknown}
 w - 2 potions of brilliance {unknown}
 x - a potion of poison {unknown}
 D - 2 potions of might {unknown}
 J - 3 potions of heal wounds
 K - a potion of invisibility
 O - 3 potions of curing
 R - 2 potions of restore abilities {unknown}
 W - a potion of flight {unknown}
Books
 f - a book of Unlife   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Recall                            Summoning/Translocation      3
   *Animate Dead                      Necromancy                   4
   *Control Undead                    Necromancy                   4
   Twisted Resurrection               Necromancy                   5
   Death Channel                      Necromancy                   6
   Simulacrum                         Ice/Necromancy               6
 o - a book of Spatial Translocations   

*Apportation                       Translocation                1
   Portal Projectile                  Translocation                2
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   *Shroud of Golubria                Charms/Translocation         2
   Teleport Other                     Translocation                3
   Passage of Golubria                Translocation                4
 L - a book of Hinderance   

Confusing Touch                    Hexes                        1
   Slow                               Hexes                        2
   Confuse                            Hexes                        3
   Petrify                            Transmutation/Earth          4
   Leda's Liquefaction                Hexes/Earth                  4
   Metabolic Englaciation             Hexes/Ice                    6
 M - a book of Minor Magic   

Magic Dart                         Conjuration                  1
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   Call Imp                           Summoning                    2
   Repel Missiles                     Charms/Air                   2
   Slow                               Hexes                        2
   *Conjure Flame                     Conjuration/Fire             3
   Mephitic Cloud                     Conjuration/Poison/Air       3
 P - a book of Necromancy   

*Pain                              Necromancy                   1
   *Animate Skeleton                  Necromancy                   1
   *Lethal Infusion                   Charms/Necromancy            2
   *Vampiric Draining                 Necromancy                   3
   Regeneration                       Charms/Necromancy            3
   *Animate Dead                      Necromancy                   4
   *Control Undead                    Necromancy                   4
Magical staves
 b - an uncursed staff of wizardry
 h - an uncursed staff of energy
 i - an uncursed staff of poison
Miscellaneous
 C - a crystal ball of energy
 Y - a crystal ball of energy

Skills:
 + Level 6.1(5.5) Fighting
 - Level 3.9(3.4) Short Blades
 - Level 1.0(0.5) Throwing
 + Level 7.9(7.3) Dodging
 - Level 3.1(2.6) Stealth
 + Level 9.7(9.1) Spellcasting
 - Level 11.0(10.4) Necromancy
 + Level 8.1(7.5) Translocations
 - Level 1.5(1.0) Evocations

You had 4 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Pain                  Necr           ####         1%          1    None
b - Animate Skeleton      Necr           N/A          1%          1    None
c - Vampiric Draining     Necr           ######....   1%          3    None
d - Animate Dead          Necr           N/A          1%          4    ##.....
e - Control Undead        Necr           ######....   1%          4    ##.....
f - Lethal Infusion       Chrm/Necr      ####......   1%          2    None
g - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
h - Apportation           Tloc           #####.....   1%          1    None
i - Recall                Summ/Tloc      N/A          4%          3    None
j - Shroud of Golubria    Chrm/Tloc      ####......   1%          2    None
k - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #.......     24%         3    None

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (12/27)            Temple (1/1) D:7             Orc (0/4) D:6
   Lair (2/8) D:12       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One

Shops:
D:6 *+*!/   D:10 +   D:11 %

Portals:
Ziggurat: D:7 (3580 gp)

Annotations:
D:12 exclusion: oklob plant

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are resistant to damage.
You can recharge devices by infusing magical energy.
You passively map the area around you.
You do not heal naturally.
You can spit poison.

Message History

The blink frog momentarily phases out as your attack passes through it.
The blink frog is almost dead.
The blink frog blinks! The blink frog completely misses you. The blink frog closely misses you.
You miss the blink frog.
The blink frog closely misses you. The blink frog completely misses you.
The blink frog momentarily phases out as your attack passes through it.
The blink frog completely misses you. The blink frog hits you.
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The blink frog blinks!
You hit the blink frog.
The blink frog hits you!
The blink frog blinks! The blink frog hits you.
The blink frog blinks!
The blink frog closely misses you. The blink frog hits you!
You die...

#.##...#F#                   #f.####
   ##........#              #######.#..#####
   #P.####.#.#              #..#..#.....##.#
   ##%.##..#.#########       #...........[..
   ##.###.......##P#.###     #..##.#(##..#..
   #...........§.......########.#####.#.....
####..###P..#........#..##.##....#####..f.f#
#.....P###......###......................###
#....### ###P...# ##.#.#.##.#....#.#.#P.####
#....P########..#  ##...####.#..#....#P..##f
#......##.P##...#  ##..P###.#..#............
#f..............####§#<.##..#..#...####.....
#.....P###.#.#.#..(#.#@.###...###..#.#  ###.
##..#### ##..f......FFF..............# .P##.
#P.##   ###z...#...#...#....................
#..#    #......#..##..###..##.##..#.####.#..
##.##   ##........#..F#.##.....##.#..#..####
#...#    #.............>...f#..z..z......##.
##.##  ###......###........##.#..z..#f......
 #..####P......#####...#########....(.z.....
 #...#.#..#..###.##...##       #.##.##.####.
 #....................#        ##.######  ##
 #..###.P.#########...#          ##
 #### #####       #P.##
                  ####

You could see 4 blink frogs.

Vanquished Creatures
  Erica (Lair:2)
  The ghost of Eightlegs the Tainter, an experienced OpVM of Vehumet (Lair:1)
  An unseen horror (D:10)
  5 hill giants
  A cyclops (D:12)
  3 spiny frogs (Lair:1)
  A two-headed ogre (D:12)
  A troll (D:9)
  2 trapdoor spiders (D:11)
  A wyvern (D:9)
  A hill giant zombie (D:8)
  3 hippogriffs
  4 sharks
  8 yaks
  2 hungry ghosts
  A manticore (D:11)
  2 ice beasts
  2 orc warriors
  3 porcupines
  5 ogres
  A phantom (D:6)
  2 crocodiles
  2 centaurs
  Duvessa (D:5)
  A gnoll sergeant (D:9)
  A komodo dragon zombie (D:9)
  A giant slug (Lair:1)
  An agate snail (Lair:1)
  3 water moccasins
  8 giant frogs
  4 electric eels
  6 killer bees
  A troll skeleton (D:12)
  5 wights
  2 jellies
  6 crimson imps
  A giant frog zombie (D:5)
  Dowan (D:5)
  5 iguanas
  A goliath beetle (D:7)
  6 hounds
  A centaur skeleton (D:4)
  5 orc priests
  4 scorpions
  A big fish (D:12)
  A giant frog skeleton (D:9)
  8 orc wizards
  6 worker ants
  A hound zombie (D:3)
  10 adders
  16 gnolls
  11 green rats
  2 giant mites
  An inept feature mimic (D:9)
  8 worms
  An adder zombie (D:10)
  A grey rat (D:3)
  An iguana skeleton (D:5)
  A giant eyeball (D:5)
  3 oozes (Sewer)
  5 giant geckos
  27 orcs
  24 bats
  9 giant cockroaches
  12 hobgoblins
  10 jackals
  17 kobolds
  5 quokkas
  4 ball pythons
  A giant cockroach zombie (D:5)
  A giant gecko skeleton (D:8)
  6 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  9 goblins
  A goblin skeleton (D:4)
  A kobold skeleton (D:3)
  An orc skeleton (D:10)
  18 rats
  6 ballistomycetes
  8 fungi
  4 plants (D:12)
360 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (collateral kills)
  2 hill giants (D:11)
  A cyclops (D:11)
  A feature mimic (D:11)
  4 yaks (D:9)
  2 centaurs
  A crocodile (D:9)
  A big kobold (D:11)
  2 killer bees (D:12)
  A hippogriff zombie (D:11)
  2 wights (D:7)
  A crimson imp (D:6)
  A goliath beetle (D:6)
  2 orc priests (D:6)
  2 scorpions
  2 orc wizards (D:6)
  A mummy (D:9)
  2 adders
  4 gnolls
  2 giant mites (D:3)
  A worm (D:11)
  15 orcs
  A ball python (D:3)
  2 goblins
  A hobgoblin (D:8)
  A kobold (D:11)
  A bat (D:9)
  A giant newt (Sewer)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:4)
  2 ballistomycetes (D:9)
60 creatures vanquished.

Vanquished Creatures (others)
  A hill giant zombie (D:11)
  A spiny frog zombie (Lair:1)
  A cyclops zombie (D:11)
  A manticore skeleton (D:11)
  A yak zombie (D:10)
  A hippogriff skeleton (D:7)
  A yak skeleton (D:10)
  A giant frog zombie (D:7)
  A porcupine zombie (Lair:2)
  2 giant frog skeletons (D:6)
  A water moccasin skeleton (Lair:2)
  4 killer bee zombies
  An ogre zombie (D:6)
  A crocodile skeleton (D:12)
  3 hound zombies
  An ogre skeleton (D:5)
  2 worker ant zombies
  A worm zombie (D:7)
  A goliath beetle zombie (D:7)
  2 electric eel zombies (Lair:1)
  2 iguana skeletons
  2 adder skeletons
  5 bat skeletons
  A bat zombie (D:9)
  7 gnoll zombies
  A green rat skeleton (Lair:2)
  A giant cockroach zombie (D:8)
  A giant gecko skeleton (Sewer)
  2 giant spores
  2 goblin skeletons
  A goblin zombie (D:7)
  4 green rat zombies (Lair:2)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:7)
  A hobgoblin zombie (D:9)
  3 jackal skeletons
  A jackal zombie (D:11)
  2 kobold skeletons
  2 kobold zombies (D:11)
  13 orc skeletons
  12 orc zombies
  A quokka skeleton (Lair:1)
  4 rat skeletons
  A rat zombie (D:8)
  5 plants (D:12)
103 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 523 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
--------------------------------------------------------------
     0 | D:1      | Thierge, the Deep Dwarf Necromancer, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 15/15 MP: 3/3
   410 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 22/22 MP: 1/4
   770 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Necromancy
  1260 | D:2      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 24/28 MP: 3/6
  1472 | D:2      | Learned a level 1 spell: Animate Skeleton
  2329 | D:3      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 28/36 MP: 1/8
  2365 | D:3      | Found a glowing drain.
  2425 | Sewer    | Entered a sewer
  3045 | Sewer    | Gained mutation: You can spit poison. [potion of beneficial mutation]
  3239 | Sewer    | Reached XP level 5. HP: 37/42 MP: 7/10
  4555 | D:4      | Reached skill level 6 in Necromancy
  4555 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 19/49 MP: 7/13
  4682 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  4689 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  4760 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4773 | D:5      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 4 turns
  4904 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 23/55 MP: 11/16
  4912 | D:5      | Reached skill level 7 in Necromancy
  5113 | D:5      | Noticed Dowan
  5167 | D:5      | Killed Dowan
  5181 | D:5      | Noticed Duvessa
  5403 | D:5      | Killed Duvessa
  5631 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  5869 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 19/62 MP: 1/19
  5912 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
  6038 | D:6      | Learned a level 3 spell: Vampiric Draining
  6043 | D:6      | Learned a level 4 spell: Animate Dead
  6048 | D:6      | Learned a level 4 spell: Control Undead
  6051 | D:6      | Learned a level 2 spell: Lethal Infusion
  6095 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Evocations
  6147 | D:6      | Found Muewierch's Assorted Antiques.
  6157 | D:6      | Reached skill level 8 in Necromancy
  6178 | D:6      | Bought a scroll labeled VOSKUNL OCRUPA for 21 gold pieces
  6348 | D:6      | Found Haopuen's Assorted Antiques.
  6363 | D:6      | Bought a scroll of recharging for 154 gold pieces
  6363 | D:6      | Bought a scroll of identify for 56 gold pieces
  6428 | D:6      | Found Wedghousesk's Book Shoppe.
  7042 | D:6      | Learned a level 2 spell: Blink
  7044 | D:6      | Learned a level 1 spell: Apportation
  7049 | D:6      | Found Chairom's Magical Wand Boutique.
  7072 | D:6      | Bought a wand of disintegration (14) for 180 gold pieces
  7115 | D:6      | Found Zikhifik's Distillery.
  7146 | D:6      | Bought a potion of porridge for 13 gold pieces
  7163 | D:6      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  7166 | D:6      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
  7166 | D:6      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  7358 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Necromancy
  7523 | D:7      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  7536 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  7702 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Makhleb the Destroyer
  7894 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Short Blades
  7903 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You passively map the area around you. [level up]
  7903 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 65/68 MP: 0/21
  7982 | D:7      | Reached skill level 1 in Translocations
  8106 | D:7      | Found a gateway to a ziggurat.
  8116 | D:7      | Got a distressingly furry scale mail
  8483 | D:7      | Acquired Makhleb's first power
  8617 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Throwing
  9113 | D:8      | Reached skill level 10 in Necromancy
  9485 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
  9610 | D:9      | Identified the cursed +1 scale mail of the City {rC++ Str+3 Stlth--} (You found it on level 7 of the Dungeon)
  9740 | D:9      | Acquired Makhleb's second power
  9875 | D:9      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  9942 | D:9      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 76/76 MP: 16/24
 10353 | D:9      | Learned a level 3 spell: Recall
 10356 | D:9      | Learned a level 2 spell: Shroud of Golubria
 10767 | D:9      | Reached skill level 11 in Necromancy
 10782 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 10782 | D:10     | Found Deugom's Book Emporium.
 10783 | D:10     | Noticed a hill giant
 10795 | D:10     | Killed a hill giant
 10795 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Translocations
 11120 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
 11309 | D:10     | Acquired Makhleb's third power
 11573 | D:10     | Noticed a hill giant
 11591 | D:10     | Killed a hill giant
 11627 | D:10     | Noticed an unseen horror
 11639 | D:10     | Killed an unseen horror
 11639 | D:10     | Reached XP level 11. HP: 58/87 MP: 0/26
 11847 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 11849 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 11863 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 11872 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 12452 | D:11     | Found Leataneuscha's Food Emporium.
 12454 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 12472 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 12485 | D:11     | Bought a meat ration for 56 gold pieces
 13069 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 13077 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 13547 | D:12     | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
 13881 | D:12     | Acquired Makhleb's fourth power
 14035 | D:11     | Noticed a hill giant
 14048 | D:11     | Killed a hill giant
 14412 | D:12     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 14439 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 14471 | Lair:1   | Got an iridescent mace
 14618 | Lair:1   | Learned a level 3 spell: Conjure Flame
 14997 | Lair:1   | Noticed Eightlegs' ghost (experienced OpVM)
 15058 | Lair:1   | Killed Eightlegs' ghost
 15862 | Lair:2   | Noticed Erica
 15883 | Lair:2   | Killed Erica
 15883 | Lair:2   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 97/99 MP: 1/28
 16165 | Lair:2   | Slain by a blink frog

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Mace              |     8 |    55 |    12 |       ||    75
       Dagger            |       |       |   100 |   248 ||   348
       Staff             |       |       |       |    50 ||    50
Throw: Dart              |     2 |     2 |    22 |     7 ||    33
 Cast: Pain              |    75 |   156 |   269 |   326 ||   826
       Animate Skeleton  |     6 |    18 |    26 |    13 ||    63
       Vampiric Draining |       |       |    47 |   131 ||   178
       Animate Dead      |       |       |    23 |    32 ||    55
       Control Undead    |       |       |     2 |     2 ||     4
       Blink             |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
       Recall            |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Invok: Minor Destruction |       |       |       |     5 ||     5
 Abil: Spit Poison       |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Evoke Invisibilit |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
       Device Recharging |       |       |     1 |       ||     1
Evoke: Wand              |       |     4 |    12 |     8 ||    24
  Use: Scroll            |     7 |    10 |    16 |     7 ||    40
       Potion            |       |     2 |     1 |     5 ||     8
 Stab: Sleeping          |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Distracted        |       |       |     2 |     2 ||     4

I know I know, horribly stupid. But hey that was my 3rd best character to date and also my best Necro attempt. Lair 2 is tough. Not sure how to defeat the blink frogs since they surround you and make it difficult to escape even if you blink/teleport. :(

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 14:11

As with any pack of monsters, It's best to lure them individually, This can typically be done with a bit of stealth and a handful of stones.

Against blink frogs (and any other melee blinkers) make sure your not giving away free hits. Don't step towards them, step away. This applies to anything faster than you, but with a blink frog it can take effect multiple times in one fight.

For this message the author 1010011010 has received thanks:
Hirsch I

Dis Charger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 14:20

IMO, you want 10 short blades as soon as you find a dagger of electrocution(assuming that you are going to use it as your main weapon).

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 23:15

Code:
H - the cursed +3,+2 mace "Maffeeta" {vamp, Dex+3 SInv, unknown}

Yikes, bet it would have been nice to know you were carrying this (though you might have picked it up just before the fatal frog encounter). Also you had unused !heal wounds, !speed, !invis, any of which could have helped instead of taking one more swing at a high-EV enemy with multiple enemies adjacent to you. Also you could have taken one step north to the up-stairs and either escaped or lured just one of them away, killed it, and returned to L:2 by a different staircase.
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 23:19

tedric wrote:Yikes, bet it would have been nice to know you were carrying this (though you might have picked it up just before the fatal frog encounter).
That weapon would not have aided this character in any way.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 23rd February 2014, 23:44

duvessa wrote:
tedric wrote:Yikes, bet it would have been nice to know you were carrying this (though you might have picked it up just before the fatal frog encounter).
That weapon would not have aided this character in any way.

An early vamp weapon on a DD is not useful? I get that vamp is better on high-damage weapons, but...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 00:22

Code:
God: Makhleb [****..]

Code:
c - Vampiric Draining     Necr           ######....   1%          3    None

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 01:00

Touche, salesman.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 02:24

I knew the weapon was vampiric. I could not use it even if I wanted to though it was definitely a nice one. And I posted that dump fully aware that I screwed the pooch hence "stupid I know". But even so those blink frogs are insane. They don't take damage at all from anything. (They do but it heals really fast.) And I was doing what I could to get away (though I should have definitely healed that last step instead of moving.)

It was actually a good run considering that was by far the most success I had had with a caster and a necro at that. I will be trying that again. currently doing a DeCj run. We will see how that goes.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 02:34

You need to be satiated (have "Full" displaying in your status bar) to wield a vamp weapon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 02:36

Hopeless wrote:I knew the weapon was vampiric. I could not use it even if I wanted to though it was definitely a nice one.
actually it was a pretty crappy one, your dagger of elec was way better for basically any character

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
Sar, sir_laser

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 03:11

Hopeless wrote:I knew the weapon was vampiric. I could not use it even if I wanted to though it was definitely a nice one. And I posted that dump fully aware that I screwed the pooch hence "stupid I know". But even so those blink frogs are insane. They don't take damage at all from anything. (They do but it heals really fast.) And I was doing what I could to get away (though I should have definitely healed that last step instead of moving.)

It was actually a good run considering that was by far the most success I had had with a caster and a necro at that. I will be trying that again. currently doing a DeCj run. We will see how that goes.

Disintegration. You had it here, and it wrecks almost anything that you can find in Lair. For my current DECj, I wound up using this in preference to Iskenderun's Mystic Blast for blink frogs, because I didn't want to give them any extra opportunities to pummel me. This is with 0 evocations.. I always neglect evoc, honestly, I should try training it up sometime, see what kind of wand damage I can do with 15 levels of evoc.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 05:47

savageorange wrote:
Hopeless wrote:I knew the weapon was vampiric. I could not use it even if I wanted to though it was definitely a nice one. And I posted that dump fully aware that I screwed the pooch hence "stupid I know". But even so those blink frogs are insane. They don't take damage at all from anything. (They do but it heals really fast.) And I was doing what I could to get away (though I should have definitely healed that last step instead of moving.)

Disintegration. You had it here, and it wrecks almost anything that you can find in Lair. For my current DECj, I wound up using this in preference to Iskenderun's Mystic Blast for blink frogs, because I didn't want to give them any extra opportunities to pummel me. This is with 0 evocations.. I always neglect evoc, honestly, I should try training it up sometime, see what kind of wand damage I can do with 15 levels of evoc.

Funny you should say that. I did use it earlier but had some fails with it so I stopped using it and put it out of mind. If I had a Wand of Disintegration on this last run I might not have died to Blink Frogs on Lair 4. (Hey I did relatively clear L1-3 (3 had a few stray nasty mobs that I fled) which is a first).

Code:

15643 Blasto the Thaumaturge (level 11, -10/59 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Elf Conjurer on Feb 23, 2014.
             Was a High Priest of Sif Muna.
             Mangled by a blink frog (16 damage)
             ... on Level 4 of the Lair of Beasts on Feb 24, 2014.
             The game lasted 02:09:39 (15394 turns).

Blasto the Thaumaturge (Deep Elf Conjurer)         Turns: 15394, Time: 02:09:39

HP -10/59        AC  7     Str 11      XL: 11   Next: 98%
MP   1/33        EV 13     Int 26      God: Sif Muna [*****.]
Gold 438         SH  0     Dex 15      Spells:  7 memorised, 14 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .   b - +4,+0 sling (frost)
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   C - +1 elf leather armour
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : .   d - +1 wizard hat {Int+3}
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   g - +0 cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   (no gloves)
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   j - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Flight     : .   (no amulet)
Saprovore : . . .                    P - ring of wizardry
                                     J - +5 ring of strength

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, fairly stealthy
A: blink 1
a: Blink, Channel Energy, Forget Spell, Renounce Religion

You were on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worshipped Sif Muna.
Sif Muna was extremely pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You visited 2 branches of the dungeon, and saw 12 of its levels.

You collected 418 gold pieces.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +5,+4 dagger of electrocution
 b - a +4,+0 sling of frost (weapon)
Missiles
 p - 58 stones (quivered)
 I - 15 darts of flame
Armour
 d - a +1 wizard hat of intelligence (worn)
 g - a +0 cloak (worn)
 j - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 C - a +1 elven leather armour (worn)
Magical devices
 s - a wand of cold (0)
 v - a wand of teleportation (5)
 B - a wand of teleportation (7)
 L - a wand of fire (0)
 N - a wand of flame (13)
 Q - a wand of frost (9)
 U - a wand of teleportation (4)
Comestibles
 k - a meat ration
 m - 3 apples
 z - 9 cheeses
 F - 3 pears
 G - 7 sultanas
 H - an apricot
 K - a honeycomb
 O - 9 bread rations
 R - 2 chokos
Scrolls
 e - 7 scrolls of teleportation
 f - a scroll of curse armour {unknown}
 h - 3 scrolls of identify
 l - a scroll of amnesia
 o - a scroll of recharging {unknown}
 y - 4 scrolls of magic mapping
 D - 3 scrolls of remove curse
 M - a scroll of blinking
 V - a scroll of enchant armour {unknown}
Jewellery
 u - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
 w - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 A - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 J - a +5 ring of strength (left hand)
 P - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
 X - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation {unknown}
Potions
 i - a potion of agility
 r - 3 potions of brilliance
 t - 4 potions of restore abilities
 x - a potion of flight
 S - a potion of degeneration {unknown}
 W - 2 potions of strong poison {unknown}
Books
 c - a book of Conjurations   

*Magic Dart                        Conjuration                  1
   *Searing Ray                       Conjuration                  2
   *Dazzling Spray                    Conjuration/Hexes            3
   *Iskenderun's Mystic Blast         Conjuration                  4
   *Iskenderun's Battlesphere         Conjuration/Charms           4
   *Fulminant Prism                   Conjuration/Hexes            5
 Z - a book of Envenomations   

Spider Form                        Transmutation/Poison         3
   Poison Weapon                      Charms/Poison                3
   *Summon Scorpions                  Summoning/Poison             4
   Olgreb's Toxic Radiance            Poison                       4
   Poisonous Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       6

Skills:
 * Level 4.9 Fighting
 - Level 3.5 Short Blades
 + Level 0.8 Slings
 - Level 1.4 Armour
 - Level 4.7 Dodging
 - Level 2.4 Stealth
 + Level 13.7 Spellcasting
 + Level 12.3 Conjurations
 + Level 0.6 Hexes
 + Level 0.4 Charms
 * Level 9.7 Invocations
 + Level 0.2 Evocations

You had 14 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         1%          1    None
b - Iskenderun's Mystic   Conj           ######..     1%          4    None
c - Iskenderun's Battles  Conj/Chrm      ######..     1%          4    None
d - Dazzling Spray        Conj/Hex       ######..     1%          3    None
e - Searing Ray           Conj           ######       1%          2    None
f - Fulminant Prism       Conj/Hex       ######....   3%          5    None
g - Summon Scorpions      Summ/Pois      ###.......   16%         4    None

Branches:
Dungeon (8/27)             Temple (0/1) D:5            Lair (4/8) D:8
   Orc: D:6-11       Swamp: Lair:3-6    Shoals: Lair:3-6     Snake: Lair:3-6
Spider: Lair:3-6   

Altars:
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Sif Muna

Shops:
D:4 (

You can translocate small distances at will.

Message History

Use which ability? (? or * to list)
You channel some magical energy. You feel somewhat more hungry.
The blink frog closely misses you.
It hits your scorpion but does no damage.
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: s - a wand of cold {zapped: 3}
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - crocodile
Aim: a crocodile (heavily wounded)
The bolt of cold misses the blink frog. The bolt of cold hits the crocodile.
The crocodile is almost dead.
The blink frog misses you. Something barely misses your scorpion. The crocodile bites your scorpion!
Your scorpion dies!
Your scorpion's corpse disappears in a puff of smoke!
The blink frog barely misses you. Your scorpion misses the blink frog.
Evoke which item? (* to show all) (? for menu, Esc to quit)
Zapping: s - a wand of cold {zapped: 4}
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f/p - crocodile
Aim: a crocodile (almost dead)
Nothing appears to happen. Something barely misses your scorpion. The blink frog hits you!
You die...

###
     #@#
  #.sF##
  ##t.
  #...
 .F...
.(P[..

You could see 2 blink frogs, a crocodile and a friendly scorpion.

Vanquished Creatures
  Gastronok (Lair:1)
  A hydra (Lair:3)
  Harold (Lair:1)
  4 spiny frogs
  Psyche (Lair:2)
  A fire drake (Lair:1)
  A troll (D:8)
  2 komodo dragons
  12 blink frogs
  A basilisk (Lair:4)
  2 hippogriffs
  Eustachio (D:8)
  2 hungry ghosts
  7 wolves
  Edmund (Lair:2)
  6 porcupines
  4 orc warriors
  A black bear (D:7)
  6 humans
  2 ogres (D:6)
  2 phantoms
  A centaur (D:6)
  3 giant frogs
  Blork the orc (D:4)
  4 crocodiles
  4 water moccasins
  2 giant slugs (Lair:3)
  2 agate snails (Lair:3)
  A jelly (D:8)
  A jellyfish (D:8)
  6 killer bees (D:7)
  5 electric eels
  4 goliath beetles
  A centaur skeleton (D:8)
  3 crimson imps
  13 hounds
  A scorpion (D:8)
  6 orc priests
  A water moccasin zombie (D:8)
  4 big fish (D:8)
  2 worker ants
  8 orc wizards
  A gnoll shaman (D:3)
  2 iguanas
  5 sheep
  Ijyb (D:2)
  An ogre skeleton (D:8)
  11 gnolls
  8 green rats (Lair:2)
  16 adders
  A giant centipede (Lair:2)
  A worm zombie (D:6)
  An inept feature mimic (D:7)
  A giant mite (D:1)
  10 worms
  An iguana skeleton (D:7)
  A scorpion zombie (D:7)
  A giant eyeball (D:6)
  11 giant geckos
  An ooze (D:1)
  38 orcs
  19 bats
  A bat skeleton (D:5)
  4 giant cockroaches
  A gnoll skeleton (D:8)
  11 hobgoblins
  17 jackals
  9 quokkas
  A ball python (D:4)
  5 giant newts
  2 giant spores
  12 goblins
  9 kobolds
  An orc skeleton (D:5)
  24 rats
  5 ballistomycetes
365 creatures vanquished.

A scorpion (Lair:4)
  A kobold (D:7)
2 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 367 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Blasto, the Deep Elf Conjurer, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 10/10 MP: 4/4
   276 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 15/15 MP: 3/6
   440 | D:1      | Reached skill level 5 in Conjurations
   799 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 19/19 MP: 7/9
  1198 | D:2      | Noticed Ijyb
  1207 | D:2      | Killed Ijyb
  1414 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 24/24 MP: 9/13
  1508 | D:2      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
  1513 | D:2      | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Battlesphere
  1966 | D:2      | Reached skill level 1 in Short Blades
  1973 | D:2      | Paralysed by a potion of paralysis for 2 turns
  2212 | D:3      | Reached skill level 6 in Conjurations
  2368 | D:3      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 28/28 MP: 14/16
  3006 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 32/32 MP: 8/20
  3731 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Spellcasting
  4187 | D:4      | Found Amaas' Weapon Boutique.
  4266 | D:4      | Noticed Blork the orc
  4274 | D:4      | Killed Blork the orc
  4274 | D:4      | Reached skill level 1 in Armour
  4433 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Conjurations
  4636 | D:4      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  4636 | D:4      | Found a white marble altar of Elyvilon.
  4645 | D:4      | Became a worshipper of Sif Muna the Loreminder
  4818 | D:4      | Learned a level 3 spell: Dazzling Spray
  4821 | D:4      | Learned a level 2 spell: Searing Ray
  4825 | D:4      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  4917 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  5303 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 36/36 MP: 2/22
  5573 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  6588 | D:6      | Acquired Sif Muna's first power
  6642 | D:6      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 41/41 MP: 15/25
  6751 | D:6      | Reached skill level 8 in Conjurations
  6751 | D:6      | Reached skill level 1 in Invocations
  7720 | D:7      | Acquired Sif Muna's second power
  7720 | D:7      | Reached skill level 9 in Spellcasting
  7912 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 45/45 MP: 8/28
  8694 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You can translocate small distances at will. [potion of beneficial mutation]
  8695 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You have a fast metabolism. [potion of mutation]
  8695 | D:7      | Gained mutation: Your muscles are strong. (Str +2) [potion of mutation]
  8695 | D:7      | Gained mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [potion of mutation]
  8696 | D:7      | Lost mutation: Your muscles are strong. (Str +2) [potion of cure mutation]
  8696 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You have a fast metabolism. [potion of cure mutation]
  8696 | D:7      | Lost mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [potion of cure mutation]
  8776 | D:7      | Reached skill level 10 in Spellcasting
  9183 | D:7      | Reached skill level 10 in Conjurations
  9511 | D:8      | Reached skill level 1 in Fighting
 10047 | D:8      | Noticed Eustachio
 10048 | D:8      | Killed Eustachio
 10048 | D:8      | Reached skill level 5 in Invocations
 10048 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 52/52 MP: 3/31
 10643 | D:8      | Reached skill level 11 in Spellcasting
 10814 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 10883 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 11114 | Lair:1   | Acquired Sif Muna's third power
 11461 | Lair:1   | Noticed Harold
 11469 | Lair:1   | Killed Harold
 11469 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 12 in Spellcasting
 11476 | Lair:1   | Learned a level 5 spell: Fulminant Prism
 12513 | Lair:1   | Noticed Gastronok
 12537 | Lair:1   | Killed Gastronok
 12537 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 31/58 MP: 1/33
 12932 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 13 in Spellcasting
 13222 | Lair:2   | Noticed Edmund
 13222 | Lair:2   | Noticed a human
 13223 | Lair:2   | Noticed Psyche
 13226 | Lair:2   | Killed Edmund
 13230 | Lair:2   | Killed a human
 13232 | Lair:2   | Killed Psyche
 13498 | Lair:2   | Learned a level 4 spell: Iskenderun's Mystic Blast
 14857 | Lair:3   | Noticed a six-headed hydra
 14862 | Lair:3   | Killed a six-headed hydra
 15174 | Lair:4   | Learned a level 4 spell: Summon Scorpions
 15394 | Lair:4   | Mangled by a blink frog

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Dagger            |       |    15 |    90 |    33 ||   138
 Fire: Sling             |       |       |       |    11 ||    11
 Cast: Magic Dart        |    74 |   148 |   198 |    93 ||   513
       Iskenderun's Myst |       |    28 |   126 |   205 ||   359
       Iskenderun's Batt |       |     2 |     3 |     1 ||     6
       Dazzling Spray    |       |       |     6 |       ||     6
       Summon Scorpions  |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
Invok: Channel Energy    |       |       |     7 |    88 ||    95
       Forget Spell      |       |       |       |     1 ||     1
 Abil: Evoke Teleport Co |       |     1 |       |       ||     1
       Blink             |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |    10 ||    10
  Use: Scroll            |       |    12 |     9 |    10 ||    31
       Potion            |       |     1 |    10 |     8 ||    19

4th highest character. I think my mistake here was not teleporting more but to be honest I did that to get into that corner and I figured my defensive options would only worsen and I am not sure I was wrong on that count. BUT if I could have teled to a stairs I might have had a chance. OTOH I ran from a big nasty on the floor prior so maybe not. I managed to clear a few (12) Blink Frogs but the hordes overwhelmed me in the end. I should note that my last action screwed me (doesn't it always? :p) since the wand was empty, as I was looking for a way to kill both monsters in my los because I knew I was dead otherwise. And little did I know that there was a Scroll of Recharge unided in my pack. :( They didn't show up at all early on unlike the game prior when I found 7!

By the way was Sif Muna's gift giving nerfed? Never recieved one spell book ever. Found a couple but never got a gift from the God and I was at ***** for a fairly long while.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 09:24

I am on the webtiles now as Hopeless2 (someone else took Hopeless :(). Took a little getting used to.

and my 5th attempt garnered this (using .13)

Code:
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.13.1-27-ga479965 (webtiles) character file.

50138 Hopeless2 the Tortoise (level 14, -11/127 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Berserker on Feb 24, 2014.
             Was a High Priest of Trog.
             Mangled by an orc knight
             ... wielding a -1,+1 orcish great sword
              (36 damage)
             ... on Level 4 of the Orcish Mines.
             The game lasted 03:51:47 (18137 turns).

Hopeless2 the Tortoise (Minotaur Berserker)        Turns: 18137, Time: 03:51:48

HP -11/127       AC 33     Str 25      XL: 14   Next: 16%
MP   5/5         EV 16     Int  4      God: Trog [*****.]
Gold 593         SH  0     Dex 12      Spells:  0 memorised, 13 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : +   a - +5,+4 glaive (venom)
Res.Cold  : + . .   Warding    : +   k - +2 plate armour {rC+}
Life Prot.: + . .   Conserve   : +   (no shield)
Res.Poison: .       Res.Corr.  : +   (helmet restricted)
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   r - +2 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : .   I - +2 pair of gauntlets
Res.Mut.  : .       Stasis     : .   Y - +1 pair of boots of Ubapt {MR+ SInv}
Res.Rott. : .       Flight     : .   d - brooch of Shielding {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
Saprovore : . . .                    v - +5 ring of evasion
                                     B - ring of regeneration

@: regenerating, extraordinarily resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion

You were on level 4 of the Orcish Mines.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was extremely pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and saw 20 of its levels.

You collected 1590 gold pieces.
You spent 1017 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +5,+4 glaive of venom (weapon)
 b - a +5 blowgun
 K - a +1,+3 orcish trident
Missiles
 o - 8 needles of slowing
 E - 31 poisoned needles
Armour
 k - a +2 plate armour of cold resistance (worn)
 r - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn)
 I - a +2 pair of gauntlets (worn)
 R - the +6 shield of the gong {rElec rN+ MR+}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
 Y - the +1 pair of boots of Ubapt (worn) {MR+ SInv}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
   It enhances your eyesight.
Magical devices
 e - a wand of fire (14)
 f - a wand of slowing (7)
 z - a wand of digging (13) {unknown}
 F - a wand of hasting (2)
 H - a wand of fireball (1) {unknown}
 O - a wand of disintegration (15)
 Q - a wand of digging (13) {unknown}
 S - a wand of flame (9)
 W - a wand of confusion (16)
Comestibles
 c - 7 bread rations
 h - 2 rotting chunks of orc flesh
 i - 2 pears
 n - a royal jelly
 w - 4 chokos
 x - 9 meat rations
 N - 2 chunks of orc flesh
 P - 2 apples
 T - 8 strawberries
 V - 4 chunks of warg flesh
Scrolls
 q - 2 scrolls of magic mapping
 C - 3 scrolls of recharging
 J - 4 scrolls of remove curse
 U - a scroll of noise
 Z - 3 scrolls of teleportation
Jewellery
 d - the brooch of Shielding (around neck) {Ward AC+4 EV+4}
   (You found it on level 6 of the Dungeon)   

[amulet of warding]
   It affects your AC (+4).
   It affects your evasion (+4).
 m - an uncursed ring of see invisible
 v - a +5 ring of evasion (right hand)
 B - a ring of regeneration (left hand)
 X - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
Potions
 g - 2 potions of resistance {unknown}
 j - a potion of berserk rage
 l - 3 potions of curing
 p - 2 potions of might {unknown}
 t - 2 potions of flight
 u - 2 potions of mutation {unknown}
 A - 2 potions of porridge {unknown}
 D - 3 potions of restore abilities {unknown}
 G - 3 potions of degeneration {unknown}
 L - a potion of beneficial mutation {unknown}
 M - 2 potions of poison {unknown}

Skills:
 * Level 14.9 Fighting
 * Level 16.3 Polearms
 - Level 0.6 Throwing
 + Level 16.3 Armour
 * Level 8.3 Dodging
 - Level 0.1 Stealth
   Level 1.9 Shields
 + Level 0.6 Evocations

You had 13 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Branches:
Dungeon (8/27)             Temple (0/1) D:4             Orc (4/4) D:8
   Lair (8/8) D:8          Shoals (0/5) Lair:4       Spider (0/5) Lair:4
  Slime (0/6) Lair:7     
   Elf: Orc:3-4     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Sif Muna
Trog
Xom
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh

Shops:
D:4 *   Orc:1 **%?   Orc:4 =[

Annotations:
Orc:4 Grum, Sonja

You reflexively headbutt those who attack you in melee.
You have a pair of horns on your head.

Message History

You slash the orc warrior! The orc warrior is poisoned.
Your headbutt misses the orc warrior.
The orc warrior is moderately wounded.
The orc high priest mumbles some strange prayers to Beogh against you.
Something smites you!
The orc warrior hits you with an orcish great mace!
Read which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
As you read the scroll of fog, it crumbles to dust.
The scroll dissolves into smoke.
You hear a shout!
The orc knight hits you but does no damage.
The orc knight hits you from afar with an orcish bardiche!
Use which ability? (? or * to list)
Okay, then.
Drink which item? (? for menu, Esc to quit)
You feel better. The orc warrior barely misses you. You furiously retaliate!
You headbutt the orc warrior!
The orc knight hits you with an orcish great sword!
You die...

###
         ##§##       ###
        ##§§.########..##
        #@oo###...##....#
        ##oh.#......<..##
       ##.oo......#.....#
       #..(#.....#......#
   ######.........#.....#
 ###....h#o.............#
 #...f.o.......#.......##
##.f..off.o.....#......##
#....(..o.f....##.......#

You could see an orc warlord, 2 orc knights, 2 orc warriors and a wolf.

Vanquished Creatures
  Josephine (Orc:3)
  5 hydras
  5 death yaks (Lair:4)
  Erolcha (Orc:4)
  3 orc knights
  A giant amoeba (Lair:4)
  A wolf spider (Lair:8)
  A spiny worm (Lair:8)
  2 black mambas
  Maurice (Orc:4)
  The ghost of qtip the Fighter, an experienced MiFi (D:5)
  5 elephants (Lair:5)
  A spriggan druid (Lair:6)
  10 spiny frogs
  An item mimic (Lair:1)
  A mermaid (Lair:4)
  A queen ant (Lair:5)
  5 fire drakes
  11 spriggans (Lair:8)
  A polar bear (Lair:6)
  2 giant fireflies (Lair:8)
  3 komodo dragons
  2 boulder beetles
  8 blink frogs
  4 trapdoor spiders (Lair:4)
  7 basilisks
  4 grizzly bears (Lair:8)
  A steam dragon (D:8)
  2 elephant slugs
  23 yaks
  7 hippogriffs
  28 wolves
  A necrophage (D:8)
  6 soldier ants (Lair:5)
  Edmund (D:6)
  Menkaure (D:6)
  5 manticores (Lair:5)
  8 orc warriors
  10 porcupines
  A sky beast (D:7)
  3 giant goldfish (Lair:1)
  9 black bears
  2 ice beasts (D:5)
  2 phantoms
  7 centaurs
  5 ogres
  3 wargs
  6 giant slugs
  12 giant frogs
  14 water moccasins
  18 crocodiles
  9 agate snails
  A gnoll sergeant (D:8)
  3 jellyfish (Lair:1)
  3 hounds
  6 crimson imps
  7 iguanas
  A goliath beetle (D:8)
  Crazy Yiuf (D:6)
  A giant frog skeleton (D:8)
  5 jellies
  12 orc priests
  11 orc wizards
  2 scorpions
  21 worker ants
  6 sheep
  A sky beast zombie (D:7)
  A mummy (D:8)
  17 adders
  4 gnolls
  5 giant centipedes
  2 giant mites
  57 green rats
  4 worms
  A scorpion zombie (D:5)
  A giant centipede zombie (D:8)
  7 giant geckos
  13 oozes
  76 orcs
  24 bats
  A bat skeleton (D:5)
  10 giant cockroaches
  19 hobgoblins
  5 jackals
  10 kobolds
  4 ball pythons
  12 giant newts
  14 goblins
  A goblin skeleton (D:4)
  A hobgoblin skeleton (D:5)
  A hobgoblin zombie (D:7)
  3 orc skeletons (Orc:3)
  11 orc zombies
  4 quokkas
  19 rats
  A ballistomycete (D:7)
  3 fungi
684 creatures vanquished.

A hydra (Lair:5)
  A griffon (Lair:5)
  4 fire drakes (Lair:5)
  2 basilisks (Lair:5)
  2 hippogriffs (Lair:5)
  A manticore (Lair:5)
  A crocodile (Lair:5)
  2 jellies (Lair:5)
  A hound (Lair:5)
  7 green rats (Lair:5)
  2 oozes (Lair:5)
24 creatures vanquished.

A crimson imp (D:7)
  An orc priest (Orc:3)
  2 green rats (Lair:8)
  4 orcs (Orc:3)
  3 jackals (Lair:5)
  A giant spore (D:7)
  A goblin zombie (Orc:3)
  An orc zombie (Orc:3)
  6 fungi
  3 plants (Lair:5)
23 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 731 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Hopeless2, the Minotaur Berserker, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 0/0
   125 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Polearms
   213 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 26/26 MP: 0/0
   553 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 33/33 MP: 1/1
   588 | D:1      | Acquired Trog's second power
  1140 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 36/40 MP: 1/1
  1515 | D:2      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
  1516 | D:2      | Found an ancient bone altar of Kikubaaqudgha.
  1801 | D:3      | Found a shimmering altar of Xom.
  2368 | D:3      | Found a deep blue altar of Sif Muna.
  2661 | D:4      | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
  2734 | D:4      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 46/46 MP: 1/1
  2794 | D:4      | Noticed an ogre
  2803 | D:4      | Killed an ogre
  2803 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Polearms
  2853 | D:4      | Found Paxom's Assorted Antiques.
  2862 | D:4      | Bought an orange potion for 27 gold pieces
  2862 | D:4      | Bought a metallic cyan potion for 27 gold pieces
  2862 | D:4      | Bought a glowing blowgun for 77 gold pieces
  2877 | D:4      | Noticed a phantom
  2904 | D:4      | Killed a phantom
  2904 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Armour
  2904 | D:4      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 53/53 MP: 2/2
  3023 | D:4      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  3226 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  3263 | D:5      | Reached skill level 6 in Armour
  3263 | D:5      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 60/60 MP: 2/2
  3345 | D:5      | Acquired Trog's third power
  3447 | D:5      | Noticed qtip's ghost (experienced MiFi)
  3464 | D:5      | Killed qtip's ghost
  3464 | D:5      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  3464 | D:5      | Reached skill level 7 in Armour
  3554 | D:5      | Basil: Yo
  3583 | D:5      | Basil: If you're prompted to upgrade your save, I suggest you don't.
  3583 | D:5      | Reached skill level 8 in Armour
  3583 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 39/68 MP: 2/2
  3678 | D:5      | Hopeless2: why is that?
  3678 | D:5      | Hopeless2: (and thanks)
  3678 | D:5      | Basil: Long and short of it is that I made some mistakes, and that upgrading might break your save
  3678 | D:5      | Hopeless2: OK will keep that in mind
  3678 | D:5      | Hopeless2: thank you
  3678 | D:5      | Basil: No problem
  4103 | D:6      | Noticed Menkaure
  4209 | D:6      | Noticed Edmund
  4292 | D:6      | Reached skill level 9 in Armour
  4390 | D:6      | Killed Menkaure
  4461 | D:6      | Killed Edmund
  4517 | D:6      | Noticed Crazy Yiuf
  4526 | D:6      | Killed Crazy Yiuf
  4576 | D:6      | Identified a +1 cloak of preservation (You took it off Crazy Yiuf on level 6 of the Dungeon)
  4963 | D:7      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
  4978 | D:7      | Reached XP level 9. HP: 74/74 MP: 3/3
  5053 | D:7      | Reached skill level 5 in Dodging
  5710 | D:8      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
  5772 | D:8      | Reached skill level 11 in Armour
  6088 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
  6088 | D:8      | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
  6628 | D:8      | Found a staircase to the Lair.
  6644 | D:8      | Reached skill level 12 in Armour
  6800 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
  6917 | Lair:1   | Killed a robe mimic
  6917 | Lair:1   | Reached XP level 10. HP: 81/83 MP: 3/3
  6926 | Lair:1   | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
  6956 | Lair:1   | Noticed a spiny frog
  6967 | Lair:1   | Killed a spiny frog
  7191 | Lair:1   | Reached skill level 10 in Polearms
  7220 | Lair:1   | Noticed a spiny frog
  7230 | Lair:1   | Killed a spiny frog
  7471 | Lair:1   | Received a gift from Trog
  8073 | Lair:2   | Reached skill level 13 in Armour
  8867 | Lair:3   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 87/93 MP: 3/3
  9237 | Lair:3   | Noticed a black mamba
  9246 | Lair:3   | Killed a black mamba
  9583 | Lair:4   | Noticed a death yak
  9585 | Lair:4   | Noticed a death yak
  9757 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 10050 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 14 in Armour
 10120 | Lair:4   | Noticed a death yak
 10130 | Lair:4   | Killed a death yak
 10165 | Lair:4   | Killed a death yak
 10168 | Lair:4   | Killed a death yak
 10181 | Lair:4   | Killed a death yak
 10189 | Lair:4   | Killed a death yak
 10334 | Lair:4   | Found a hole to the Spider Nest.
 10467 | Lair:4   | Reached XP level 12. HP: 91/104 MP: 5/5
 10577 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Shoals.
 10654 | Lair:4   | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 10665 | Lair:4   | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 10775 | Lair:5   | Noticed a four-headed hydra
 10792 | Lair:5   | Killed a four-headed hydra
 11051 | Lair:5   | Received a gift from Trog
 11232 | Lair:5   | Noticed a four-headed hydra
 11245 | Lair:5   | Killed a five-headed hydra
 11255 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 15 in Armour
 11257 | Lair:5   | Reached skill level 1 in Shields
 11563 | Lair:5   | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 11575 | Lair:5   | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 12104 | Lair:5   | Received a gift from Trog
 12146 | Lair:5   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 115/115 MP: 5/5
 13429 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 13950 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 15 in Polearms
 14454 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 14799 | Lair:8   | Got a bloodstained scimitar
 14800 | Lair:8   | Identified the scimitar "Ubuaforu" {flame, rF+ Dex+4} (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)
 14823 | Lair:8   | Received a gift from Trog
 14887 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 16 in Armour
 15423 | Lair:8   | Found a shattered altar of Ashenzari.
 15506 | Lair:8   | Received a gift from Trog
 16498 | D:8      | Reached XP level 14. HP: 104/126 MP: 5/5
 16596 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
 16596 | Orc:1    | Found Smaumm's General Store.
 16596 | Orc:1    | Found Xureur's General Store.
 16596 | Orc:1    | Found Thrucosmagoa's Magic Scroll Boutique.
 16614 | Orc:1    | Bought a scroll of acquirement for 520 gold pieces
 16634 | Orc:1    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 16634 | Orc:1    | Found Sano Gom's Food Shop.
 16872 | Orc:1    | Bought a potion of curing for 20 gold pieces
 16872 | Orc:1    | Bought a scroll of enchant weapon II for 55 gold pieces
 16878 | Orc:1    | Bought a scroll of identify for 32 gold pieces
 16891 | Orc:1    | Bought a scroll of enchant weapon II for 71 gold pieces
 16901 | Orc:2    | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
 16979 | Orc:2    | Found a bloodstained altar of Trog.
 17396 | Orc:3    | Noticed Josephine
 17418 | Orc:3    | Killed Josephine
 17432 | Orc:3    | Received a gift from Trog
 17798 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 17801 | Orc:4    | Noticed Erolcha
 17817 | Orc:4    | Killed Erolcha
 17857 | Orc:4    | Noticed Maurice
 17893 | Orc:4    | Killed Maurice
 17929 | Orc:4    | Found Borogru's Antique Armour Emporium.
 18090 | Orc:4    | Bought a pair of crude boots for 188 gold pieces
 18093 | Orc:4    | Identified the +1 pair of boots of Ubapt {MR+ SInv} (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)
 18097 | Orc:4    | Found Twiex's Jewellery Shop.
 18097 | Orc:4    | Noticed an orc warlord
 18099 | Orc:4    | Noticed Grum
 18110 | Orc:4    | Noticed Sonja
 18137 | Orc:4    | Mangled by an orc knight

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Spear             |    85 |   167 |   259 |       |    38 ||   549
       Trident           |       |       |   216 |  1069 |   785 ||  2070
       Glaive            |       |       |       |       |   159 ||   159
Throw: Dagger            |    11 |    44 |    63 |    19 |       ||   137
       Dart              |       |    10 |    43 |   123 |    40 ||   216
Invok: Berserk           |     1 |     2 |     7 |     6 |     1 ||    17
       Trog's Hand       |       |       |     6 |    20 |    21 ||    47
       Burn Spellbooks   |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
       Brothers in Arms  |       |       |       |     1 |     1 ||     2
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |       |     2 |       ||     2
  Use: Scroll            |       |     8 |    18 |    11 |    10 ||    47
       Potion            |       |       |     6 |     3 |     3 ||    12
 Stab: Fleeing           |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2

Orcish Mines is just too hard for me personally I guess. I just keep dying there no matter how many other things I do.

I have to say I was really really unhappy with the "gifts" Trog kept dropping on me. One of Five was semi usable. The trident I picked up and enchanted was better than most of them. (I guess not counting the bow and sling which I didn't keep at all since I had a decent blowgun with needles.)

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 14:17

Regarding blink frogs, even though they are faster than you, it's usually pretty easy to escape from them, because they constantly blink. If you just keep moving away from them, they will usually blink away before they reach you. If you start running at a decent health total, you can generally get to stairs and escape before taking too many hits.

Blink frogs have high MR compared to other common Lair monsters (40 as compared with 28 for yaks, spiny frogs, and black mambas; 24 for fire drakes and basilisks . . .). Only the rarer and much more dangerous Lair monsters have more MR: dire elephant (100), death yak and catoblepas (93), elephant (60), and hydra (52).

Edit: And thus, wand of disintegration is not a particularly reliable way to kill blink frogs.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
Magipi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 15:34

Hopeless wrote:Orcish Mines is just too hard for me personally I guess. I just keep dying there no matter how many other things I do.

I have to say I was really really unhappy with the "gifts" Trog kept dropping on me.

You had 3 scrolls of teleportation and plenty of time to read one. If you didn't get cornered in the first place the escape would've been free. A +4 glaive is ok for the orcish mines and for a while after that.

Mines Malingerer

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 16:17

Well, you don't have to do everything the first time you see it. You could have easily done D8-10 or so once you encountered that orc warlord. Also, use BiA! God granted summoning abilities are extremely powerful and you should use them whenever you encounter a very difficult enemy.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 16:24

Hey you're getting better! Finishing Lair is a big milestone... that's usually the point where characters start picking up steam. Orc should be as easy or easier than Lair. Knights can be really dangerous though, and warlords even more so. If even one enters your LOS, you should be thinking of where is safe to lure it and fight it, or whether you should avoid it entirely. Having 4 on your screen at once should be instant panic button time. I sometimes postpone Orc 4 because it is generally much more difficult than the regular dungeon post Lair.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 19:44

Hopeless wrote:I have to say I was really really unhappy with the "gifts" Trog kept dropping on me.

With Trog and Oka, you should never count on getting decent, or even usable, gifts. On a current Oka run I have 18 Long Blades with no other weapon skills, and the only weapons he's dropped on me are polearms. When a crap gift drops, there's no sense getting mad -- Trog works in mysterious ways, after all. Just treat it like any other random loot spawned on the floor (i.e. ignore it) and move on with your game. One way or the other, you will find good gear eventually.

EDIT: And both those gods provide plenty of support even without the gifts. The occasional good drop is just a bonus, not a guarantee.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 19:52

tedric wrote:
Hopeless wrote:I have to say I was really really unhappy with the "gifts" Trog kept dropping on me.

With Trog and Oka, you should never count on getting decent, or even usable, gifts. On a current Oka run I have 18 Long Blades with no other weapon skills, and the only weapons he's dropped on me are polearms. When a crap gift drops, there's no sense getting mad -- Trog works in mysterious ways, after all. Just treat it like any other random loot spawned on the floor (i.e. ignore it) and move on with your game. One way or the other, you will find good gear eventually.

EDIT: And both those gods provide plenty of support even without the gifts. The occasional good drop is just a bonus, not a guarantee.

This is true for Oka, but Trog usually gives you a good endgame weapon before you finish the Lair.

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks: 2
Sar, tedric

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 24th February 2014, 20:34

Magipi wrote:Trog usually gives you a good endgame weapon before you finish the Lair.

Keyword 'usually.' But I suppose I should have said you can't count on every gift being decent or even usable.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 21:03

Just found my way out of the Abyss (run, run, run!) Lost lots hp (perm??) on the way but at least I got out and punished the ogre mage who sent me there. She won't be bothering anyone else (until the next time of course :p).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 23:16

escaping the abyss feels good. thats why it is my favourite branch.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 26th February 2014, 23:50

Hopeless wrote:Lost lots hp (perm??)

Unless you got a -N% HP mutation (which is curable with potion of Cure Mutation), you were probably rotted (which doesn't cancel from the mere passing of time, but is curable, not permanent)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 00:15

Hirsch I wrote:escaping the abyss feels good. thats why it is my favourite branch.

Especially when you see an early exit, take a deep breath and muster your resolve, and then go get the rune first before escaping. It's so satisfying.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 00:16

savageorange wrote:

Unless you got a -N% HP mutation (which is curable with potion of Cure Mutation), you were probably rotted (which doesn't cancel from the mere passing of time, but is curable, not permanent)

Not rotted, definitely mutated by the purple star things that kept spamming harmful only mutations at me from the distance of 15 tiles+. Thankfully they were not quite so good at doing that when I turned corners.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 00:16

Arkhan wrote:
Hirsch I wrote:escaping the abyss feels good. thats why it is my favourite branch.

Especially when you see an early exit, take a deep breath and muster your resolve, and then go get the rune first before escaping. It's so satisfying.

What do you consider early? I had to jump through 4-5 portals (I don't recall exactly how many.)

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 00:28

It's hard to really quantify, but I'll say something along the lines of "before panic sets in." There's like a lull at the start of most abyss entries where you haven't encountered anything horrifying yet, and sometimes you get lucky enough to ride those to an exit before things get dangerous.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 00:44

Hopeless wrote:I had to jump through 4-5 portals (I don't recall exactly how many.)

Are you saying you went deeper into the Abyss, like to depth 4 or 5? Because my understanding is that unless you're there intentionally and/or feel truly ready to hunt for the rune (and it sounds like you were banished unintentionally in this case), it's not a good idea to go deeper if you can avoid it. Abyss gets harder the deeper you go, like any branch, only you can't retreat back up the stairs. And even though exits are more likely to spawn on lower levels, it's usually not worth the increased danger.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 27th February 2014, 05:01

Hopeless wrote:
savageorange wrote:

Not rotted, definitely mutated by the purple star things that kept spamming harmful only mutations at me from the distance of 15 tiles+. Thankfully they were not quite so good at doing that when I turned corners.

Wretched Stars mutate everything on screen, but fortunately their mutations are temporary. They'll go away as you gain experience, just like being Drained.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 3rd March 2014, 23:53

Well, I managed several runs where I cleared the lair and orcish mines so there is that.

I was going to post my first one when the forums went down (due to slow DNS propagation?) for several days.

Here is the morgue from that run. (I did it on the .13 client not the webtiles. The webtile runs post-mines were later.)

Code:

167738 Billshut the Tortoise (level 17, -14/158 HPs)
             Began as a Minotaur Fighter on Feb 26, 2014.
             Was an Elder of Trog.
             Killed from afar by an eidolon (46 damage)
             ... with a bolt of negative energy

... on Level 16 of the Dungeon on Feb 27, 2014.
             The game lasted 05:52:27 (40453 turns).

Billshut the Tortoise (Minotaur Fighter)           Turns: 40453, Time: 05:52:27

HP -14/158       AC 24     Str 30      XL: 17   Next:  1%
MP   0/5         EV  6     Int  5      God: Trog [****..]
Gold 2773        SH 46     Dex 11      Spells:  0 memorised, 16 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .   X - +0,+5 spear (freeze) {=f}
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : .   Z - +1 orc plate armour {rPois}
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .   S - +1 large shield
Res.Poison: +       Res.Corr.  : .   J - +0 wizard hat
Res.Elec. : .       Clarity    : .   G - +0 cloak
Sust.Abil.: . .     Spirit.Shd : +   P - +0 pair of dwarf gauntlets
Res.Mut.  : .       Rnd.Telep. : +   K - +0 pair of boots
Res.Rott. : .       Flight     : .   x - amulet of guardian spirit
Saprovore : . . .                    q - ring of regeneration
                                     D - +3 ring of strength

@: slowed, afraid, drained, very slow, somewhat resistant to hostile
enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: retaliatory headbutt, horns 2, herbivore 2, teleportitis 1
a: Burn Spellbooks, Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Renounce Religion
}: 1/15 runes: serpentine

You were on level 16 of the Dungeon.
You worshipped Trog.
Trog was greatly pleased with you.
You were not hungry.

You visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and saw 34 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 2 times.
You also visited: Bailey.

You collected 3105 gold pieces.
You spent 352 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +1,+5 orcish trident of protection
 C - a +0,+6 anti-magic halberd
 Q - a +0,+3 trident of dragon slaying
 X - a +0,+5 spear of freezing (weapon) {=f}
Missiles
 f - 32 darts of dispersal (quivered)
 A - 2 javelins of penetration
Armour
 v - a +0 mottled dragon hide
 G - a +0 cloak (worn)
 J - a +0 wizard hat (worn)
 K - a +0 pair of boots (worn)
 P - a +0 pair of dwarven gauntlets (worn)
 S - a +1 large shield (worn)
 Z - a +1 orcish plate armour of poison resistance (worn)
Magical devices
 c - a wand of digging (15)
 g - a wand of cold (7)
 j - a wand of fire (5)
 l - a wand of frost (7)
 m - a wand of random effects (13)
 n - a wand of paralysis (7)
 t - a wand of hasting (7)
 u - a wand of frost (1)
 w - a wand of random effects (11)
 z - a wand of slowing (2)
 E - a wand of lightning (2)
 N - a wand of digging (16)
 R - a wand of enslavement (20)
 T - a wand of teleportation (2)
 W - a wand of hasting (4)
Comestibles
 d - 8 bread rations
 o - 7 apples
 p - 4 honeycombs
 r - 12 meat rations
 s - a choko
 O - 18 grapes
Scrolls
 b - a scroll of summoning {unknown}
 h - 2 scrolls of identify
 k - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 I - a scroll of acquirement {unknown}
 V - a scroll of vulnerability
Jewellery
 q - a ring of regeneration (right hand)
 x - an amulet of guardian spirit (around neck)
 D - a +3 ring of strength (left hand)
 H - an uncursed ring of see invisible
Potions
 e - 9 potions of curing
 F - 3 potions of flight
 L - a potion of restore abilities
 U - a potion of heal wounds
 Y - 3 potions of speed
Miscellaneous
 y - a lamp of fire (inert)
 B - a phial of floods (inert)

Skills:
 * Level 18.1(17.0) Fighting
 + Level 17.0(15.9) Polearms
 + Level 19.0(17.9) Armour
 + Level 17.5(16.4) Shields

You had 16 spell levels left.
You didn't know any spells.

Branches:
Dungeon (16/27)            Temple (1/1) D:4             Orc (4/4) D:6
    Elf (0/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:13          Swamp (0/5) Lair:4
  Snake (5/5) Lair:5        Slime (0/6) Lair:6     
Vaults: D:15-20     

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
the Shining One
Beogh
Jiyva

Shops:
D:4 +   D:6 ((   Orc:2 *((   Orc:4 ([*+   Snake:1 =

Annotations:
D:7 exclusion: ice statue
Lair:4 exclusion: oklob plant

You reflexively headbutt those who attack you in melee.
You have a pair of horns on your head.
You digest meat very inefficiently.
Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity.

Message History

You block the skeletal warrior's attack.
It hits you!
You block its attack.
Aim the phial where?
Press: ? - help, Shift-Dir - straight line, f - eidolon
Aim: an eidolon (lightly damaged, inspiring fear)
The flood of elemental water misses the eidolon.
Splash!
You fall into the shallow water.
Moving in this stuff is going to be slow.
The water rises up and takes form. You block the eidolon's attack. You block the eidolon's attack. It hits you.
It bites you but does no damage.
The skeletal warrior hits your water elemental with a glaive!
The skeletal warrior hits you with a great mace.
The eidolon stares piercingly at you.
The bolt of negative energy hits you! You feel drained.
You die...

#...#
      ##...#
    ###....#
    #.....##
   ##.....#
   #....###
   #...##
   #....##
   ##....###
    ##.....#
Z  ####....#
Zz #.###...#
 #Z#...#@).#
 #.....#Wz.#
  #.W..ZzE.#
  ###.....##
    ##...##
     #####

You could see an eidolon, 2 skeletal warriors, a boulder beetle zombie and a
friendly water elemental.

Vanquished Creatures
  Lamia (Snake:4)
  Kirke (Snake:1)
  A shadow dragon (D:14)
  An orc warlord (Orc:3)
  Louise (Snake:3)
  Gastronok (D:10)
  9 greater nagas (Snake:5)
  2 stone giants (D:14)
  Azrael (Snake:1)
  6 dire elephants (Lair:8)
  4 hydras (D:14)
  Harold (Orc:2)
  13 anacondas
  Nessos (Orc:4)
  2 ogre magi (D:14)
  5 death yaks (Lair:8)
  A rakshasa (D:14)
  A wretched star (Abyss:1)
  2 orc high priests (Orc:4)
  14 naga warriors
  3 centaur warriors
  A catoblepas (Lair:6)
  A large abomination (Abyss:1)
  An unseen horror (D:15)
  3 skeletal warriors (D:15)
  Erolcha (D:11)
  5 sea snakes (Snake:5)
  The ghost of Tentacles the Quickloader, an experienced OpWn of Jiyva (D:8)
  6 hill giants
  A wolf spider (Lair:7)
  A necromancer (D:16)
  8 orc knights
  A draconian (shapeshifter) (D:13)
  4 orc sorcerers
  A cyclops (D:14)
  A griffon (D:14)
  A phantasmal warrior (D:14)
  4 elephants (Lair:8)
  Maurice (D:11)
  A fire giant skeleton (D:16)
  An eye of devastation (D:14)
  36 black mambas
  7 guardian serpents
  6 spiny frogs
  A feature mimic (Lair:7)
  8 naga magi (Snake:5)
  A smoke demon (Abyss:1)
  10 trolls
  10 komodo dragons
  A hydra zombie (D:14)
  11 slime creatures
  2 two-headed ogres (D:14)
  A ynoxinul (Abyss:2)
  A boulder beetle (Lair:8)
  A trapdoor spider zombie (D:15)
  A shadow (D:14)
  4 basilisks
  15 blink frogs
  2 griffon skeletons
  An ice dragon zombie (D:16)
  3 redbacks (Lair:8)
  A grizzly bear (Lair:3)
  A tarantella (shapeshifter) (D:15)
  A trapdoor spider (D:14)
  2 fire elementals (Snake:1)
  3 wraiths
  6 wyverns
  6 hippogriffs
  2 vampires
  8 ugly things
  An elephant slug (Lair:8)
  2 hill giant zombies
  61 yaks
  Grum (Orc:4)
  The ghost of Ariage the Grave Robber, an average DDNe (D:4)
  A neqoxec (Snake:3)
  7 manticores
  4 hill giant skeletons
  4 hell hounds (Snake:1)
  5 hungry ghosts
  5 hogs (Snake:1)
  2 mottled dragons (D:14)
  A vampire mosquito (D:14)
  7 wolves
  10 porcupines
  A steam dragon (D:14)
  78 nagas
  A soldier ant (D:11)
  4 sky beasts
  A small abomination (Abyss:1)
  4 necrophages (Lair:7)
  A deep dwarf (D:7)
  3 phantoms
  A black bear (D:7)
  37 orc warriors
  2 boring beetles
  10 ogres
  5 ice beasts
  3 wargs
  17 big kobolds
  7 centaurs
  Sigmund (D:2)
  Duvessa (D:9)
  12 giant frogs
  5 giant slugs
  A brain worm (D:14)
  A gnoll sergeant (D:11)
  A cyclops zombie (D:14)
  11 crocodiles
  A komodo dragon zombie (D:13)
  A komodo dragon skeleton (D:14)
  39 water moccasins
  A wyvern zombie (D:12)
  2 agate snails
  24 killer bees
  A yak zombie (D:7)
  A vampire bat (Orc:2)
  2 yak skeletons (D:8)
  3 wights (D:10)
  Dowan (D:9)
  7 crimson imps
  3 goliath beetles
  11 hounds
  A two-headed ogre zombie (D:14)
  6 scorpions
  A black bear skeleton (D:4)
  19 orc priests
  2 two-headed ogre skeletons
  6 iguanas
  3 jellies
  2 quasits
  2 centaur skeletons (D:14)
  3 giant frog skeletons
  22 orc wizards
  9 worker ants
  A killer bee zombie (D:8)
  Ijyb (D:2)
  Jessica (D:2)
  8 sheep (Lair:8)
  2 ogre skeletons
  A mottled dragon skeleton (D:14)
  A mummy (D:10)
  5 gnolls (D:11)
  3 giant centipedes
  65 green rats
  5 giant mites
  An inept item mimic (D:6)
  A shadow imp (D:14)
  67 adders
  An inept feature mimic (D:5)
  A white imp (Abyss:1)
  6 worms
  4 ufetubi
  An iguana zombie (D:9)
  A giant eyeball (D:7)
  6 giant geckos
  An ooze (D:1)
  142 orcs
  4 ball pythons
  31 goblins
  21 hobgoblins
  26 jackals
  49 kobolds
  10 quokkas
  27 bats
  5 giant cockroaches
  6 giant newts
  8 illusory rakshasas (D:14)
  2 kobold skeletons
  3 orc zombies
  20 rats
  A rat skeleton (D:7)
  4 ballistomycetes (D:11)
  A fungus (Orc:3)
  7 plants
1310 creatures vanquished.

A greater naga (Snake:5)
  An anaconda (Snake:5)
  A naga warrior (Snake:5)
  2 nagas (Snake:5)
  3 ufetubi (Orc:4)
  An orc zombie (Orc:4)
9 creatures vanquished.

A necromancer (D:16)
  A black mamba (Snake:5)
  2 two-headed ogres
  An ogre (Orc:4)
  A rotting devil (Orc:4)
  4 killer bees (D:11)
  2 lemures (Abyss:1)
  2 orcs
  A giant spore (D:11)
  6 fungi (Lair:8)
  7 plants
  4 starspawn tentacles (Abyss:4)
  52 starspawn tentacle segments (Abyss:4)
84 creatures vanquished.

Grand Total: 1403 creatures vanquished

Notes
Turn   | Place    | Note
     0 | D:1      | Billshut, the Minotaur Fighter, began the quest for the Orb.
     0 | D:1      | Reached XP level 1. HP: 19/19 MP: 0/0
   225 | D:1      | Reached skill level 4 in Armour
   225 | D:1      | Reached XP level 2. HP: 26/26 MP: 0/0
   777 | D:1      | Reached XP level 3. HP: 31/33 MP: 1/1
  1705 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Armour
  2071 | D:2      | Noticed Jessica
  2078 | D:2      | Reached XP level 4. HP: 37/40 MP: 1/1
  2096 | D:2      | Killed Jessica
  2251 | D:2      | Noticed Sigmund
  2262 | D:2      | Killed Sigmund
  2262 | D:2      | Reached skill level 5 in Fighting
  2262 | D:2      | Reached XP level 5. HP: 29/47 MP: 1/1
  2985 | D:3      | Reached skill level 6 in Armour
  3096 | D:3      | Reached XP level 6. HP: 55/55 MP: 2/2
  3810 | D:4      | Found Heiles' Book Boutique.
  4032 | D:4      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  4042 | Temple   | Entered the Ecumenical Temple
  4143 | Temple   | Became a worshipper of Trog the Wrathful
  4194 | D:4      | Noticed Ariage's ghost (average DDNe)
  4206 | D:4      | Killed Ariage's ghost
  4206 | D:4      | Reached skill level 5 in Polearms
  4206 | D:4      | Reached skill level 7 in Armour
  4206 | D:4      | Reached XP level 7. HP: 49/60 MP: 2/2
  4811 | D:4      | Reached skill level 8 in Armour
  4985 | D:5      | Entered Level 5 of the Dungeon
  4992 | D:5      | Acquired Trog's first power
  5308 | D:5      | Reached XP level 8. HP: 68/68 MP: 2/2
  5444 | D:5      | Found a staircase to the Ecumenical Temple.
  5450 | D:5      | Reached skill level 9 in Armour
  5460 | D:5      | the staircase to the Ecumenical Temple was a mimic.
  6395 | D:6      | Found Peshro Teni's Weapon Emporium.
  6487 | D:6      | Found Bracw's Weapon Boutique.
  6976 | D:2      | Noticed Ijyb
  6982 | D:2      | Killed Ijyb
  7192 | D:6      | Found a staircase to the Orcish Mines.
  7216 | D:6      | Found a roughly hewn altar of Beogh.
  7246 | D:6      | Reached skill level 10 in Armour
  7251 | D:6      | Acquired Trog's second power
  7518 | Orc:1    | Entered Level 1 of the Orcish Mines
  7577 | Orc:1    | Reached XP level 9. HP: 70/74 MP: 3/3
  8241 | Orc:2    | Reached skill level 10 in Polearms
  8251 | Orc:2    | Found Mnamn's Weapon Emporium.
  8424 | Orc:2    | Noticed an orc knight
  8472 | D:6      | Reached skill level 11 in Armour
  8607 | D:7      | Noticed an ice statue
  8935 | D:7      | Paralysed by a giant eyeball for 2 turns
  9150 | D:8      | Acquired Trog's third power
  9375 | D:8      | Reached skill level 12 in Armour
 10005 | D:8      | Reached XP level 10. HP: 72/81 MP: 3/3
 10113 | D:8      | Noticed Tentacles' ghost (experienced OpWn)
 10128 | D:8      | Killed Tentacles' ghost
 10171 | D:7      | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 10171 | D:7      | Found a snail-covered altar of Cheibriados.
 10173 | D:7      | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 10272 | D:8      | Reached skill level 13 in Armour
 10677 | D:9      | Noticed Dowan
 10684 | D:9      | Noticed Duvessa
 10693 | D:9      | Killed Duvessa
 10718 | D:9      | Killed Dowan
 10793 | D:9      | Noticed a centaur warrior
 10813 | D:9      | Killed a centaur warrior
 11329 | D:10     | Entered Level 10 of the Dungeon
 11353 | D:10     | Reached skill level 5 in Shields
 11655 | D:10     | Found a flagged portal.
 11681 | Bailey   | Entered a bailey
 11683 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc knight
 11687 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc knight
 11712 | Bailey   | Killed an orc knight
 11712 | Bailey   | Reached XP level 11. HP: 36/89 MP: 1/3
 11934 | Bailey   | Noticed an orc knight
 11965 | Bailey   | Killed an orc knight
 11965 | Bailey   | Reached skill level 14 in Armour
 12146 | Bailey   | Killed an orc knight
 12401 | D:10     | Noticed Gastronok
 12441 | D:10     | Killed Gastronok
 13732 | D:11     | Noticed Maurice
 13790 | D:11     | Killed Maurice
 14065 | D:11     | Noticed Erolcha
 14096 | D:11     | Cast into the Abyss (Erolcha)
 14175 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a wretched star
 14215 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a wretched star
 14230 | Abyss:1  | Killed a wretched star
 14282 | Abyss:2  | Reached skill level 10 in Shields
 14290 | Abyss:2  | Noticed a starcursed mass
 14337 | Abyss:4  | Noticed a tentacled starspawn
 14351 | Abyss:4  | Noticed a thrashing horror
 14369 | Abyss:4  | Noticed a starcursed mass
 14373 | D:11     | Escaped the Abyss
 14382 | D:11     | Killed Erolcha
 14388 | D:11     | Reached XP level 12. HP: 80/80 MP: 2/2
 15077 | D:12     | Reached skill level 15 in Armour
 15526 | D:12     | Received a gift from Trog
 15636 | D:12     | You fall through a shaft!
 15636 | D:15     | Entered Level 15 of the Dungeon
 15636 | D:15     | Found a blossoming altar of Fedhas.
 16313 | D:15     | Noticed a dragon
 16369 | D:14     | Entered Level 14 of the Dungeon
 16426 | D:13     | Found a staircase to the Lair.
 16777 | D:13     | Reached skill level 10 in Fighting
 17502 | Lair:1   | Entered Level 1 of the Lair of Beasts
 18436 | Lair:2   | Found a glowing golden altar of the Shining One.
 18560 | Lair:2   | Reached XP level 13. HP: 106/111 MP: 4/4
 19131 | Lair:3   | Got a twisted dagger
 19132 | Lair:3   | Identified the dagger of Makhleb {stab, rN+ SInv} (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20235 | Lair:4   | Found a staircase to the Swamp.
 20303 | Lair:4   | Reached skill level 16 in Armour
 20809 | Lair:5   | Got a heavily runed leather armour
 20829 | Lair:5   | Identified the -8 leather armour of Summer {+Fly rPois} (You found it on level 5 of the Lair of Beasts)
 20895 | Lair:5   | Found a staircase to the Snake Pit.
 21227 | Lair:5   | Received a gift from Trog
 21919 | Snake:1  | Entered Level 1 of the Snake Pit
 22211 | Snake:1  | Noticed Azrael
 22249 | Snake:1  | Killed Azrael
 22328 | Snake:1  | Found Ukud's Jewellery Boutique.
 22522 | Snake:1  | Noticed Kirke
 23288 | Snake:1  | Killed Kirke
 24102 | Lair:6   | Found a viscous altar of Jiyva.
 24104 | Lair:6   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 24559 | Lair:7   | Reached XP level 14. HP: 105/122 MP: 4/4
 24754 | Lair:7   | Received a gift from Trog
 24874 | Lair:7   | Reached skill level 15 in Shields
 24880 | Lair:7   | Found a staircase to the Slime Pits.
 24886 | Lair:7   | the staircase to the Slime Pits was a mimic.
 25352 | Lair:8   | Entered Level 8 of the Lair of Beasts
 25381 | Lair:8   | Identified the Reference Book on Darkness (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)
 26068 | Lair:8   | Received a gift from Trog
 26113 | Lair:8   | Reached skill level 17 in Armour
 26820 | Lair:8   | Found a glowing silver altar of Zin.
 27581 | Snake:2  | Received a gift from Trog
 28286 | Snake:3  | Noticed Louise
 28287 | Snake:3  | Cast into the Abyss (Louise)
 28348 | Abyss:1  | Gained mutation: You digest meat inefficiently. [mutagenic glow]
 28412 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a lich
 28415 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a cacodemon
 28424 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a cacodemon
 28427 | Abyss:1  | Gained mutation: You digest meat very inefficiently. [a cacodemon]
 28428 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a Brimstone Fiend
 28441 | Abyss:1  | Noticed a Brimstone Fiend
 28464 | Abyss:1  | Gained mutation: Space occasionally distorts in your vicinity. [mutagenic glow]
 28475 | Abyss:1  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 28520 | Abyss:2  | Found a corrupted altar of Lugonu.
 28598 | Abyss:2  | Noticed an Executioner
 28638 | Snake:3  | Escaped the Abyss
 28689 | Snake:3  | Killed Louise
 28761 | Snake:3  | Reached XP level 15. HP: 131/134 MP: 5/5
 28916 | Snake:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Polearms
 29222 | Snake:3  | Received a gift from Trog
 29356 | Snake:4  | Noticed Lamia
 29379 | Snake:4  | Killed Lamia
 29379 | Snake:4  | Reached skill level 15 in Fighting
 30748 | Snake:5  | Entered Level 5 of the Snake Pit
 31606 | Snake:5  | Received a gift from Trog
 31812 | Snake:5  | Reached skill level 18 in Armour
 32393 | Snake:5  | Got a smoking battleaxe
 32641 | Snake:5  | Reached XP level 16. HP: 147/147 MP: 1/5
 33326 | Snake:5  | Got a serpentine rune of Zot
 34309 | Orc:2    | Killed an orc knight
 34408 | Orc:2    | Found Ozaad's Assorted Antiques.
 34429 | Orc:2    | Bought a red potion for 29 gold pieces
 34429 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of identify for 66 gold pieces
 34429 | Orc:2    | Bought a scroll of identify for 66 gold pieces
 34603 | Orc:4    | Entered Level 4 of the Orcish Mines
 34800 | Orc:2    | Noticed Harold
 34818 | Orc:2    | Killed Harold
 35304 | Orc:2    | Found Shreit's Antique Weapon Boutique.
 35446 | Orc:4    | Found Uphobla's Antique Weapon Boutique.
 35501 | Orc:4    | Found a staircase to the Elven Halls.
 36027 | Orc:4    | Found Ussutaqe's General Store.
 36032 | Orc:4    | Noticed Grum
 36098 | Orc:4    | Paralysed by an orc sorcerer for 6 turns
 36190 | Orc:4    | Killed Grum
 36206 | Orc:4    | Bought 21 darts of dispersal for 100 gold pieces
 36206 | Orc:4    | Bought 19 darts of dispersal for 91 gold pieces
 36359 | Orc:4    | Found Litagori's Book Boutique.
 36413 | Orc:4    | Noticed Nessos
 36456 | Orc:4    | Killed Nessos
 36605 | Orc:4    | Found Cink's Antique Armour Boutique.
 37897 | D:14     | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 37965 | D:14     | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 38053 | D:14     | Received a gift from Trog
 38117 | D:14     | Noticed an eight-headed hydra
 38133 | D:14     | Killed an eight-headed hydra
 38310 | D:14     | Noticed a shadow dragon
 38310 | D:14     | Noticed a stone giant
 38332 | D:14     | Killed a shadow dragon
 38338 | D:14     | Killed a stone giant
 38521 | D:14     | Noticed a seven-headed hydra
 38530 | D:14     | Killed a seven-headed hydra
 39746 | D:14     | Noticed a stone giant
 39762 | D:14     | Killed a stone giant
 40356 | D:16     | Reached skill level 19 in Armour
 40388 | D:16     | Reached XP level 17. HP: 135/158 MP: 5/5
 40453 | D:16     | Killed from afar by an eidolon

Action                   |  1- 3 |  4- 6 |  7- 9 | 10-12 | 13-15 | 16-18 || total
-------------------------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------++-------
Melee: Trident           |   141 |   194 |   619 |  1341 |  2359 |       ||  4654
       Bardiche          |       |       |       |       |    43 |       ||    43
       Spear             |       |       |       |       |   382 |  1527 ||  1909
Throw: Dart              |     9 |     2 |    26 |       |       |     8 ||    45
       Javelin           |       |       |       |    48 |    25 |     6 ||    79
       Spear             |       |       |       |     2 |       |       ||     2
Invok: Berserk           |       |       |     3 |     9 |    16 |    11 ||    39
       Burn Spellbooks   |       |       |     1 |       |     1 |     3 ||     5
       Trog's Hand       |       |       |     1 |    13 |    37 |    35 ||    86
       Brothers in Arms  |       |       |       |       |     1 |     3 ||     4
Evoke: Wand              |       |       |     2 |    21 |     1 |     9 ||    33
       Miscellaneous     |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2
  Use: Potion            |     1 |       |     6 |     7 |     8 |     6 ||    28
       Scroll            |       |       |    27 |    22 |    19 |     7 ||    75
 Stab: Fleeing           |       |       |       |       |       |     2 ||     2

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 00:43

Well, I have already advised you to use demon trident instead of spear so I don't have other comments. I am not sure even the best crawl players would be able to win with Trog using 0,+5 spear of freezing.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 04:22

Sandman25 wrote:Well, I have already advised you to use demon trident instead of spear so I don't have other comments. I am not sure even the best crawl players would be able to win with Trog using 0,+5 spear of freezing.

You are looking at a non-web tiles dump there. I am not sure how you could have advised me to do any such thing in that game. Another game perhaps... And imho neither weapon was very good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 04:33

Hopeless wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:Well, I have already advised you to use demon trident instead of spear so I don't have other comments. I am not sure even the best crawl players would be able to win with Trog using 0,+5 spear of freezing.

You are looking at a non-web tiles dump there. I am not sure how you could have advised me to do any such thing in that game. Another game perhaps... And imho neither weapon was very good.

I apologize, maybe I confused you with another player. I gave that advice to player with nick Hopeless2 in webtiles who had polearms skill about 18 and demon trident but was still using a spear.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 07:39

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure even the best crawl players would be able to win with Trog using 0,+5 spear of freezing.

I contradict. It would be tedious but not actually difficult...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 14:58

Sandman25 wrote:
Hopeless wrote:

I apologize, maybe I confused you with another player. I gave that advice to player with nick Hopeless2 in webtiles who had polearms skill about 18 and demon trident but was still using a spear.

Not confusing me at all. Yes that was me, several days after this guy died. :D

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 15:06

Tedronai wrote:
Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure even the best crawl players would be able to win with Trog using 0,+5 spear of freezing.

I contradict. It would be tedious but not actually difficult...

Well, I cannot run fsim tests now but I suspect it will be extremely hard to kill Orb of Fire, Cursed Skull, Ancient Lich, Bone Dragon etc. even with BiA. Hell Sentinels, Hellions, Fiends and Panlords during orb run will be very fun too. No wands of hasting/HW of course.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 4th March 2014, 16:47

Sandman25 wrote:Well, I cannot run fsim tests now but I suspect it will be extremely hard to kill Orb of Fire, Cursed Skull, Ancient Lich, Bone Dragon etc. even with BiA. Hell Sentinels, Hellions, Fiends and Panlords during orb run will be very fun too. No wands of hasting/HW of course.

No need for fsim... This here

Code:
MiBe the Minotaur Porcupine (Minotaur Berserker)     Turns: 914, Time: 00:04:38

HP 271/271       AC 30     Str 23      XL: 27
MP  10/10        EV 23     Int  4      God: Trog 200 (0)
Gold 0           SH  0     Dex 13      Spells:  0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .     h - +0,+5 spear (freeze)
rCold  x . .     Clarity  .     d - +8 fire dragon armour
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     (no shield)
rPois  .         rCorr    .     (helmet restricted)
rElec  .         rRot     .     f - +2 cloak
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (no gloves)
rMut   +         Warding  .     (no boots)
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     j - amulet of resist mutation
MR     ++...                    (no ring)
                                (no ring)

Skills:
 + Level 26.9 Fighting
 O Level 27 Polearms
 + Level 26.9 Armour
 + Level 25.1 Dodging

is enough to just tab an orb of fire. If you are impatient you can go berserk or summon a bro. And you don't have to fight all those scary demons on the orb run...

For this message the author Tedronai has received thanks:
Sandman25
PreviousNext

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice