List your favourite builds

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 17th December 2010, 17:00

List your favourite builds

From the other forum:

danr wrote:Spriggan Enchanter of Makhleb (for ranged attack and minions)
Deep Elf Wizard
Deep Dwarf Necromancer
Kobold Berserker
Mountain Dwarf Paladin (pre-armour nerf)

xtc wrote:Deep Elf Conjurer
Mountain Dwarf Hunter
Minotaur Hunter
Deep Dwarf Chaos Knight
Spriggan Assassin

RangerC wrote:#1 - DDNe (Makhleb) - wand of healing makes you invincible early on, Revivification does so in the late game. Combo was even easier in 0.5 as a heavy armour hybrid caster.
#2 - SpEn (don't even really need a god, Nemelex or Okawaru are good choices) - haste nerf hurts a bit. Still winnable at XL 14.
#3 - MfCr (Makhleb/Fedhas/Sif/Oka/Ely/TSO) - hurt by the haste nerf, still great. Getting to start with a trident and a spellbook is pretty ridiculous.

After that, it's debatable. Here's a few more I think rank highly.

DsVM (Kiku) - Demonspawn are great, Venom magic rules the early game. Kiku branded demonwhip of pain wipes out all living branches easily. Kiku is also best on a non-necro start, as otherwise you don't get the 1st book (you already have it)
DrTm (any god will do) - Evaporate early, Blade Hands midgame, Dragon Form late.
VpCk (Makhleb) - you can hit and run endlessly in bat form with minor destruction
MuWz (Sif, book of minor summoning) - if you can stay alive early on through Spammals/CCF, hungerless channeling/sickness-free Haunt wipes out everything
HaBe/KoBe - probably the easiest melee wins left
MfIE (Sif) - plays like a crusader who can also cast Ice Bolt and Ozo's Fridge. You need Sif for Ozo's/Crusader spells.
GhCK (Makhleb) - ridiculous resistances, CK (Makhleb) isn't hurt by Ghouls' poor stats/aptitudes.

Poopbridge wrote:GhMo of Yredlemnul is pretty fun. Unarmed melee with fellow undead buddies is cool, and the hunger system is nice for a change of pace.

minmay wrote:Sludge Elf Transmuter - used for my first 15-rune win, really fun for most of the game
Naga/Demigod/Demonspawn Air Elementalist - I like air conjurations, and like the unique challenges posed by these races (though all three of them feel overpowered at times...)
Deep Elf Conjurer - after a particularly stupid death, I have a tendency to regress to this rather easy build
Merfolk Ice Elementalist - fun melee/caster hybrid build in 0.8 (in 0.7 and older Mf is way overpowered)
Spriggan Enchanter - unusual playstyle, vampires would also be a candidate if they weren't so annoying to play

Found a new combo that I really like in 0.8: mummy ice elementalist. You can use Ozocubu's Refrigeration with abandon and put freezing clouds on yourself, due to your innate rC+ and no potions to freeze. And with the 0.8 buffs to mummies, they no longer need to resort to grinding.

Hybrid wrote:Kobold Berserker/Assassin/Stalker/Healer of Trog. All about equal.
Kenku Wizard -- As squishy as a deep elf; trades spellcasting and enchantment aptitudes for fighting, conjurations, and summoning. Permanent fly and speed boosts (swiftness) are nice too.
Human Wizard -- Fast leveler. Not the best at casting, but naturally more robust than deep elf or kenku.
Demonspawn Venom Mage -- Demonspawn are late bloomers. Venom mages are great early on. They're natural complements.

Happy Corner wrote:Kobold Berserker
Minotaur Berserker - cause sometimes I feel like going on a rampage with something OTHER than a short blade.
Ghoul Monk
Spriggan Stalker
Deep Dwarf Chaos Knight - always of Makhleb, as kill-healing and demon meatshields help the healing issue a lot.
Vampire Chaos Knight - haven't really gotten the hang of playing Vampires yet, but I keep trying.
Demonspawn Chaos Knight - or any other class. I rarely have much luck with Demonspawn either, but the random mutations give me fond reminders of playing Chaos Warriors in Zangband back in the day.

Joellercoaster wrote:Sludge Elf Transmuter: Definitely my favourite (and most successful). Cheibriados is really good fun but I'm starting to give Sif Muna, Kiku and Yredelemnul some tries too.

Sludge Elf Earth Elementalist: I will figure this one out. My Transmuter games are getting fairly long, so when one dies and I can't face starting again, I give this a go. Starting to get the hang of it... haven't really worked out a good God though.

Spriggan Enchanter: Stabby rib stab stab! So refreshing to be able to run away, after spending so many turns wearing Ponderous armour!

Deep Dwarf Necromancer: Played with either Kiku or Makhleb, can be very different experiences. And (like the SpEn) there are opportunities for munchkinism galore, which is good because I'm not very good at Crawl yet :$

Human Wizard: Let whatever spellbooks turn up shape the progression process. It's fun

Strongpoint wrote:Minotaur\Monk (so many ways to adapt for items)
Demigod\Wizard (No god sucks, but so much int and dex...)
Demonspawn\Chaos knight(xom) (It's just fun )
Halflling\Gladiator (Dodgy, shieldy, throwing fighter. Usually take Trog for no spells game)
Spriggan\Fire elementalist of Vehumet (It's just monster even with bad attitudes.)

Grimm wrote:MDFi Okawaru all the time
I only recently started trying an DSCK Makhleb.

Orshelack wrote:Centaur Hunter - awesome if you can keep your supply of arrows & food up.

Kobold Berserker - being able to eat chunks till engorged lets you zerk much more freely, and I love the thought of a small dog/lizard creature going totally insane on hydras & ogres.

Naga Transmuter (of Chei) - This one gave me some problems at first, until I learned to abuse Spit Poison to get through the early game.

Merfolk Crusader - Start with Oka when I find the altar, then switch to TSO later. Honestly I probably could have won a game or two with this class, but I keep messing around with the extended endgame & going for more runes.

Demonspawn Chaos Knight - The demonspawn mutations make every game a little different, and I really like being able to start with a god.

Draconian Wizard - Starts out as a general mage-type, then you can specialize a bit once you learn your color. Hopefully will be even better once spell elements don't oppose each other.

danr wrote:High Elf Reaver - HEs have good fighting and spellcasting abilities, so a good fit.
Mountain Dwarf Hunter - you start with a crossbow, which is a very powerful ranged weapon. You also start with a bit of melee ability. Okawaru for all your armour, weapon and ammunition needs!
Human Wizard Aptitudes are so-so, but you gain levels and MP very quickly and you have flexibility to go with any spellbooks you find because all school aptitudes are equal
Deep Dwarf Chaos Knight (Makhleb) - you get a +2 weapon and start with Makhleb, a very useful god who grants ranged attacks and summons to supplement your melee game. DD's benefit from Makhleb's healing when they kill, and DD's have excellent invocations ability, which increases the power and reliability of Makhleb's given abilities. Very straightforward to play. Also very good with evocations, which can also supplement the melee game, as wands and evokable abilities become more effective.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 07:49

Re: List your favourite builds

TrBe - n00b classic, powerful killer. High HP gets you through battles and healing is easy with high HP, regen 2, and Trog's Hand
TrHe - good unarmed damage, Elivylon provides nice utility for Trolls because they can't cast spells
TrCK:
Xom grants you an implement of some kind.
_Something appears at your feet!
4790 gold pieces {god gift}.

DsAr:
You blink. You feel slightly more hungry. Prince Ribbit hits you. You die...
"Hey, that's my toy!"
Xom revives you!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 4th January 2011, 13:53

Strange that no one mentions the [drumroll] Poison Arrow Gatling Gun, or Spriggan Venom Mage of Vehumet.

They breeze through the early game - what they can't poison, they can easily outrun.

They breeze through the midgame - Mephitic Cloud and IMB are your friends, and you can still outrun almost everything.

They even breeze through the late game. Almost nothing can compare to a hasted, DMsl-ed, poison-arrow-spamming machine gun, with an occasional Dispel Undead and Abjuration thrown into the mix.

Five wins under my belt, including the first and, so far, the only SpVM all-runer on CAO and CDO.
... and forgive us our YASDs,
As we forgive our developers,
And lead us not into the Abyss,
But deliver us from Sigmund,
For Thine is the Roguelike,
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 8th January 2011, 21:46

Demigod Transmuter (DGTm)- You needn't worry about pleasing or displeasing any gods. Huge stats, lots of HP (200+ in the late game) and lots of MP as well. The high stats translate directly into damage with Blade Hands. The hardest part for me is surviving the first few dungeon levels.

Deep Dwarf Earth Elementalist (DDEE)- I like Shatter and I like Deep Dwarves. With Makhleb you get free healing.

Troll Monk (TRMo)- Nemelex will take all the good armour and weapons you don't need. Spam the inferior decks to get legendary ones. Then just hack, slash and eat everyone in the dungeon.

High Elf Paladin (HEPa) - A blessed triple sword will make you a late game badass without going the Necromutation route. This build struggles until you find a good weapon and can cast some basic spells.
Mangled by Mennas

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 9th January 2011, 05:40

Some stuff I've been messing around with :)

**IE of kiku.

Mf**/HE** of kiku (** is NOT Ne).

DECr of kiku.

The above are awesome at necrusading, DE for its amazing apts, Mf for its strong hybrid ability and IE for the same. Of course, MfIE of kiku is also amazing.

DEFE/DEIE (after sticky nerf) of Ashenzari. Try it. This is a deep elf with HP. Reskill fire into fighting because you really don't need that much. Conj as well. Then when you have ridiculous apts and hp to back it up, get the tornado up and have fun clearing those zigs!

KeBe (heavy armour) of Ashenzari. Good early start and a good finish with reskilling. I could cast tornado at fair with brilliance in plate by the end :)

Okay back to the classics.

SpEn (of Oka, of Mak, of Kiku) -- nice and reliable, easy, fun, and can go into crusading easily.

DDNe (of Makhleb) -- easiest combo in 0.7 IMO. The best crusader. If you play 0.8 give the heavy armour a try with DDCK which is also really strong. For a bit more variety, try a DD of Elyvilon. I did a DDAr, but rods are rare enough this wasn't that wise and I ended up mainly meleeing anyway. DDFi of Elyvilon is likely fine.

MDBe, HOBe, MiBe, HaBe -- Trog in 0.8 is awesome. He shows it in these heavy / light armoured berserkers!
Go kiku!

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th January 2011, 19:44

Spriggan VM is one of the best for early game survivability, and more importantly, it finally taught me that Crawl is less about being a heroic badass and more about being paranoid and RUNNING AWAY from things that are too scary for young (D lvl 4-9) characters to beat.

For this message the author jackalKnight has received thanks: 3
Kerslake, Roderic, Zicher

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 02:37

Lately I've been playing TrCk's of Xom because they are hilarious. Trolls are hearty enough that you can survive when Xom's capriciousness turns on you. Later, when the troll starts to slow down and the dungeon starts to put up a fight, Xom picks up the slack.

Also for some weird reason this combo always seems to find an amulet of faith, which only adds to the fun.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 12th January 2011, 12:49

I do like the TrCK combo. Has anyone ever won as a CK of Xom? I think I've heard of them having won after ditching him for someone else, but not while holding onto him.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 19:37

I've been running DSNes of Nemelex:

1. Pain everything until level four.
2. Pain most things and start building up maces & flails or some other fighting skill, obliterate things with vampiric draining.
3. Sacrifice nothing but consumables until you get a deck of wonder, spam it for the exp, bridge to midgame, get tons of wonders decks to offset DS slow levelling and acquire your set of ridiculous mutations early.
4. Haunt and Necromutation along with the 15 legendary summonings decks for the endgame plus even more effective demon-whipping everyone.

For this message the author Funkymoses has received thanks: 2
bryanpeddy, orz

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 19:55

That sounds pleasurable.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 27th January 2011, 19:47

Playing a DDNe without Maklheb?
That and Nemelex just seems to confuse the crap outta me.

wait... I tried to use haunt on an Orb of Fire once and lets just say that... It didn't work.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 28th January 2011, 16:16

DS (Demonspawn), not DD.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 29th January 2011, 02:43

omndra wrote:Playing a DDNe without Maklheb?
That and Nemelex just seems to confuse the crap outta me.

wait... I tried to use haunt on an Orb of Fire once and lets just say that... It didn't work.

By that point these characters usually have a demon whip, hopefully of freezing, they're at max speed with and a fighting in the high teens, which they use to take down Orbs after necromutating and spamming the surrounding area with decks of summoning.

I did play a DDNe with Nemelex under the misconception that evocations mattered much for Nemelex worshippers. Got to level 27, tried to go down in hell, found out that was a bad idea, and then decided to go for the win and got blasted in zot:5.

Lair Larrikin

Post Sunday, 6th February 2011, 08:49

Mountain Dwarf Hunter (killer with the crossbow!)
Mountain Dwarf Chaos Knight of Makhleb (hell of a fighter with a mighty god!)
Kobold Assassin (stealthy, and VERY powerful with backstabbing and poison darts)
Hill Orc Paladin of The Shining One (quite powerful in combat)

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 19th February 2011, 09:55

My new favourite combo:

CeMo of new Okawaru

There are a lot to thing to say about this build, but I'll point out only the most important.

1. Easy early game
that which you can't kill you can escape from, and most likely kill it later. You can kite with wands, or if you want to bother with darts/blowgun. Besides you're most likely powerful enough in melee to kill most of what you meet.

2. Ranged weapon later on is a huge help.
That's right, either a bow or a crossbow (I'm leaning for a crossbow now because of steel, silver and penetration brands) will make your life that much easier.

3.New Oka complements a CeMo perfectly.
Heroism will boost your defenses and make your blows that much harder. Finesse is a killer for any melee oriented character, and you will get more arrows than you will ever need. Somewhere along the way he will probably give you a branded (or a randart) barding.

4. Centaurs aren't horrible at spellcasting.
Actually they're about as good at it as demonspawn apart from spellcasting apt and a few minor schools. Hunger will be a problem here, but less of one in the mid game.

I strongly encourage you to try it out.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 00:41

I'm transmuter crazy.

I've been playing NaTm, but I've recently fallen in love with the SeTm of Ashenzari. You might not think it's a good choice, but gear isn't really all that important for a Tm, as it melds a lot, and you can abuse the weapon binding by dropping the weapon when you go into spider form.

Also, reskilling is silly powerful. Sure, you lose 10% of exp, but with a fully bound character, that's still a net gain of 25%.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 10th March 2011, 03:05

Well, my thinking and playing has evolved a lot since starting this thread / forum.

My new favourite by a long shot is the Halfling Hunter of Okawaru:

- Ha have amazing dodging and shields aptitudes. Heavy armour is better again, but there are still certain attacks that seem to bypass AC completely but where EV/SH are still good. I've learned that defence is by far the most important attribute. If you can't keep up your HP, it doesn't matter how good your offence is.
- Slings are powerful right up to Zot, esp. once you get steel and silver bullets. Which you will, from Okawaru.
- Although Spc is not great (-2), they have good aptitudes for charms / air / translocations, which covers some of the most useful survivability spells in the game : RMsl/DMsl, Blink, Apport, cTele, Swift, Lev, Fly, Regen, Berserk. Most of these are lower level spells so you don't need too much MP / Spc levels to really benefit.
- Although short blades are not as good on their own, once you stack heroism and berserk rage on them, you can do a lot of damage real fast.
- Very survivable in the early game - anything slightly menacing (hobgoblin, kobold, snake, ogre) you can soften up real well with skill 6 in Slings and those +1 bullets. The biggest problem is that it often kills them instead of letting you finish them with your dagger to train fighting / short blade.

It is not the most powerful build, but I would argue it is probably the most survivable and easy to play and with no major glaring weakness. Decent HP, decent defence, decent damage output, decent magic capability, decent equipment (Okawaru!), decent food clock (slow met. 1, and not herb/carn). Early on, the only thing you need to learn is when to sling and when to melee. It is also an easy introduction to the magic game, as you just slowly introduce buff / escape spells as you find them. MP management is really not an issue.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 11th March 2011, 06:52

Playing the latest trunk, my current favorite is the Mountain Dwarf Fighter (MDFi). Armoured and highly proficient in armour, shields, fighting and axes, he is an excellent melee build.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 12:33

I'm starting to really like Spriggan Berserker.
Craziest Hamster

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 19:20

I'm starting to really like MDBe.

7hm

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 04:02

Anything berserker.

Use berserker to dive as far as you reasonably can and build up levels and a large xp pool.

Then return to D:1 and work your way down properly. When you hit Lair trog will have given you some good items, when you're at Lair:7 or 8 you should have an endgame weapon or something very close to it.

Then give up Trog and pick a better god. :)

Ash is fun because he can reskill you into a caster fairly quickly (assuming that you kept this plan in mind as you chose your stats and picked INT every time). A caster with good fighting and melee skills.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 23rd March 2011, 10:30

Mummy Fighter and Mummy Monk.

Yes they're tough, but then that's exactly how DCSS should be. :twisted:

EDIT: I usually go Okawaru. Heroism makes a Monk happy. :D
Last edited by pratamawirya on Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 29th March 2011, 06:45

My favorite classic builds are:

MiBe of Trog using axes, armour, and unarmed so that when I had to I could kill hydras barehanded. My first win was with one of these, back before there was a Stone Soup.
SETr of Makhleb, which I remember winning with once, but I couldn't even estimate how many of these guys I've killed.
DECo of Vehumet, with a goal of using Firestorm. Back then you could still cast Detect Creatures.

More recently I've been playing as (but not winning as, I haven't won in a long time):

SETr of Chei, so my tradition of killing off endless sludge elf characters can continue.
KoBe of Trog, which is pretty fun, although eventually short blades are just too damn weak. I've been trying SpBes lately but haven't seen the awesome god gifts others have reported. I do get a lot of ammo, though.

I converted to version 8 on my home computer, still playing 6 at work because more recent versions don't run. I'm interested in:

HaWr of Chei, which I've just started playing with. I like Chei a lot and halflings are OK. The idea is that I can use translocations as the escape key because spider form won't do anymore, if I gather correctly. The stat boosts will mostly help counter the halfling weakness with spells, I guess. I haven't really got that far.
MiGl of Okawaru, now that armour has been buffed a little. I've never played Oka that much and still like minotaurs.
DrDK of Yred because I haven't played draconians in years and I'm guessing that death knights are flexible enough to manage the random nature of draconian adulthood. I tried monks but they died in uninteresting ways, not like those inventive sludge elves.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 31st March 2011, 06:34

Felid necromancer. So I can name myself Rin Kaenbyou. :P

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 00:16

Demonspawn hunter rulz! If you get enough arrows and cool mutations like a meltable icy envelope (AC +10), resistence to magic and passive mapping, the game is really fun! For a god, I recomend Okawaru, he really helps giving really strong arrows latter in the game. Perfect match if you get the amulet of faith, gives u ammo during big fights!

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 16:58

Vampire Summoners are working really well for me- besides being nicely thematic, the lack of a proper food clock works well with Summoning spam (and Sif Muna's channeling ability). Wade into the fight when you're full of blood and regenerating at crazy speeds. Hang back and drown your opponents in summons when you're running dry.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 16th April 2011, 17:00

ghend wrote:Felid necromancer. So I can name myself Rin Kaenbyou. :P

I always call mine Jupiter, a la Robin Jarvis.
Dowan says "Her death will not be in vain!"
You bludgeon Dowan!
This raw flesh tastes great!

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 17:13

Kobold Enchanter woshipping the plant god. Stab everything, retreat behind plants.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 28th April 2011, 17:24

orz wrote:Kobold Enchanter woshipping the plant god. Stab everything, retreat behind plants.

I've often thought a kobold of Fedhas would be good - they can't eat fruit, so might as well save it and use it for something cool.

Maybe venom mage or (old) stalker might work well, though you would have to be careful about using poison cloud or you could hit friendly plants and get your god angry.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 2nd May 2011, 22:33

All of your plants are immune to poison. So poison cloud away =D. Since the mushrooms don't move you can trap enemies in your clouds behind your lines. Those fedhas mushrooms stay useful all the way until you run out of corpses to make them.

I like SpNe of kiku. With high your high evasion, if anything does hit you you can just vampiric draining back up and wait for them to hit you again. Then just make armies of undead since you don't eat any corpses and stab stab stab.

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 3rd May 2011, 00:33

Spriggan everything

ghend wrote:Felid necromancer. So I can name myself Rin Kaenbyou. :P

What's Chen's build I wonder then. Probably FeWz :3

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 4th May 2011, 09:42

Felid/Spriggan Chaos Knight of Xom.

The funny parts being "how long will I survive Xom's wrath" and "how will I die ?" :twisted:
I had some epic results with this build, as well as Xomlarious deaths.

Xom is BORED.
*steps into a room full of jellies at like D:6*
Xom thinks it's hilarious !

EDIT : forgot to mention, but this build gives you an excellent reason to play totally unsafe. Because it's funnier that way.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 12:08

Started off and am having fun playing KoHu - Be interested in advice for similar builds which may be better - or any advice
A troll caster is a hybrid

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 13th May 2011, 15:29

I find Vampires fun to play. Being able to gain certain popular resistances without relying on equipment is great. I've been working on Crusaders, Enchanters and Necromancers recently but they're a little tricky in the early game.

I've only just started playing seriously again after a long hiatus but I'm doing quite nicely with a stabbing VpEn right now on CDO. With fantastic Stealth and reasonable Stabbing aptitudes, and bat form for when you need to run away, it's a bit like playing a Spriggan but without the food concern (and with the advantage of resistances). Obviously there's no regeneration at bloodless but there are ways to deal with that if you don't want to be any more satiated.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 25th May 2011, 23:52

I find OgWz is a fantastic build to play with their +2 Spc, +2 Fgt, and +3 M&F aptitudes. Although I haven't gotten much farther then Temple with them, I still find them incredibly fun to play with a nice flexible synergy of magic and melee. They've also taught me a few important lessons I've been slow to pick up before, like when and how to run (never been much of a problem for me before since I usually played Be's, including one that got 3 runes and died to my Xom-like boredom), how valuable Mephitic Cloud is (never used it much before), and other stuff. Anyways, I think it's absolutely great build and is a good way to ease your way into spellcasting if you've always been a meleer like me, with all their HP, MP, and utility spells.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 26th May 2011, 10:05

Un67 wrote:got 3 runes and died to my Xom-like boredom

Ha!

My Xom-like boredom happens in the bit just *before* 3 runes... after that the game gets really good again (JMO, obviously) :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 26th May 2011, 22:22

Spriggen Artificer of Namlex
I love Evocations!

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 28th May 2011, 21:47

I usually play Naga Wizard of Sif Muna.
The starting book is very nice IMHO, it has a lot of versatility.
I begin focusing on Conjuration, Charms, Air and I keep Poison at 5-10 to cast Poison Cloud at Excellent.
I stop training Charms when I can use reliably Haste.
I usually run the mid game by Posion Cloud spamming and I use Mystic Blast to kill poison immunes.
When I get ElecRes I start using Lightning Bolt. I try to get the Swiftness+Flight combo ASAP.
If I want to go for the extended game, I try to get decent Necomancy and Trasmutation for Necromutation and I start training Air to high levels to get Tornado going.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 29th June 2011, 16:05

TrMo of Nem
MDDK
KoAK (because it had the lowest best score on the web, and was therefore the only one I thought I stood a chance of beating!)
Trwz
decj

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 30th July 2011, 01:05

Minotaur Monk, Berserker of Trog, wields a shield and unarmed.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 30th July 2011, 01:16

DrAE is my current fav. Early Swift + Flight (via Levitation). They don't have negative air apts, and Steam and Storm have positive apts. It also hybridizes fairly easily, so if you find some nice weapon, you don't feel trapped. Really, what it comes down to is that AE is one of the easier Draconian starts, but I like Draconians for their variation and flexibility. However some colors are less fun (Grey, White, and Purple, I'm looking at YOU).
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Zzz

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 15th August 2011, 18:44

Kenku Conjurer
+ unarmed attacks smash the early dungeon
+ freezing cloud carries you through the midgame
+ quick flight makes you a spriggan that doesn't just plain suck
+ aptitudes set up for tornado and necromutation
Honestly I just love kenku for permanent flight I could care less about tornado abuse ;)
Tab tab tab tab x2
you die... ...wait what?

For this message the author Zzz has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 15:17

Hi all,
I'm currently writing a Poison Arrow Gatling Gun Guide.
I'd like to ask, whether this forum topic is the right one to post such a guide - and, if anyone would be interested at all.
Let me know :).
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 15:19

Zicher wrote:Hi all,
I'd like to ask, whether this forum topic is the right one to post such a guide - and, if anyone would be interested at all.

I thought the spriggin VM had been nerfed, is he still overpowered?

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 17th August 2011, 15:25

Yet Another Stupid Noob wrote:
Zicher wrote:Hi all,

I thought the spriggin VM had been nerfed, is he still overpowered?

By all means, SpVM are not overpowered - yet still capable of an all-runer win.
the Orb and the Victory,
now and forever.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 21st August 2011, 18:33

Vampire Necromancers (of Kiku)
thematic, cool, no bother with food, resistances, easy escape, see invisible -> covers every threat except demons

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 31st August 2011, 14:24

ilpalazzo wrote:Vampire Necromancers (of Kiku)
thematic, cool, no bother with food, resistances, easy escape, see invisible -> covers every threat except demons

You might as well start as an Ice/Earth Elementalist or whatever since not only do you have an alternative to necromancy but can also reap the full benefits of Kikubaaqudgha... being one of the best spellbooks of the game as early as * piety.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st September 2011, 13:10

RFHolloway wrote:TrMo of Nem
MDDK
KoAK (because it had the lowest best score on the web, and was therefore the only one I thought I stood a chance of beating!)
Trwz
decj

After a bit of experience

TrGl of trog - possibly fighter
TrNe (current high score)
SpWz/Vm
koHu
NaVm/Ne

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 17th September 2011, 14:07

My new favorite build in 0.10: CeGl.

At first, you might say, "Wait, what?" Well, in 0.10 all Polearms have been given free reaching brand, and you get to start with a nice trident and some other helpful equipment as well. Combined with your high speed, you can basically kite everything in the early game with a very strong weapon that can be used indefinitely. And of course if and when that fails you can just run away normally. I haven't gotten too far with one yet, but it's really the ultimate early-game survival build IMO.
You see here a dire elephant corpse.
You start butchering the dire elephant corpse with your claws.
You continue butchering the corpse.
You are engulfed in roaring flames. You stop butchering the corpse.
You die...

For this message the author Un67 has received thanks: 2
AtT, pratamawirya
Next

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice