Vampire bite shouldn't give sustanence

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 08:11

Vampire bite shouldn't give sustanence

I've been seeing some unpleasant situations, where you accidently bite a naga in Snakes and then you get more damage than you should. Wouldn't it be fine if bites only would give hp and not sustenance, because managing near bloodless state is quite tedious sometimes and I even sometimes carry a ring of hunger which is otherwise useless and it souldn't really be that useful, imo. It's a minor thing, but still.

Btw, vampiric weapons seem to give a bit too much sustenance, too.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:21

Re: Vampire bite shouldn't give sustanence

What are you doing to get back down to near bloodless? Maybe there's a less tedious way to do it?

It has to be said Vampire bite giving sustenance (in a context where sustenance = blood) is very strongly thematic...
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:24

Sorry, I wanted to say bloodless, actually, since near bloodless makes you vulnerable to some poison and torment.

I know it makes sense for bites to give you some blood, but a lot of things a made the way it would be comfortable even if it doesn't make sense. Like training weapons(first what comes to mind).
Last edited by Amnesiac on Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:26

Actually, being hungry actually increases your bite attack. I suspect that's supposed to be there as a slight counter to it being fairly easy to get bloodless in the first place, making it not-quite-so-easy to remain in that state which is optimal for the strategy you're using.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:33

You can indeed easily become bloodless, but why encourage more resting?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:35

Well, I suppose, for the very reasons you list, because going from bloodless to near-bloodless mid-combat exposes you to certain vulnerabilities that being bloodless exempts you from. Being bloodless is powerful, perhaps it was felt when it was made that it needed some kind of drawback.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:41

It's not really that dangerous, it's just slightly annoying. And most of times it's with nagas, because you can't draw blood of spiders or demons.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 23:22

Vampires feed on blood.

Vampires suck blood by biting.

Sucking blood and not getting nourishment from it just because you're in combat makes next to no sense. Vampires that don't bite make the same kind of sense.

Nobody said staying bloodless would be easy, how easy do you think it is for an undead monter to lay of the food when it's moving and palpitating right before you within arms reach?

Edit: I noticed you already said some things are made to be comfortable even if they make less sense. This is true. That doesn't mean, however, that everything has to be handled in that same way, and in this particular case I think it'd totally kill the flavor. I myself like the satiation-on bite attack, and on vampiric weapons too, even if sometimes it's disadvantageous.
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 23:27

But it IS *usually* easy. Like I said in the second post, it does make sense that they get some blood(along with hp, that they get only from bites, for some reason), but sometimes common sense is put after convenience, like training weapons without using them, right?

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 23:31

I don't think vamp weapons give you any nutrition, at least not now.
Also, if you want to get technical, you can bite without sucking blood. Maybe your character is spewing it out because he wants to keep that sweet rPois, I dunno.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 00:07

Some have suggested a "slit wrist" ability to immediately return to bloodless, which is likely problematic (vampires are already one of Crawl's most complicated species, balance issues w/r/t rPois and rTorment, etc.) but worth pointing out.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 13th February 2014, 02:36

archaeo wrote:Some have suggested a "slit wrist" ability to immediately return to bloodless, which is likely problematic (vampires are already one of Crawl's most complicated species, balance issues w/r/t rPois and rTorment, etc.) but worth pointing out.

LOL

Not sure if that's a serious suggestion that looks like trolling; or trolling that looks like a serious suggestion, either way it's hilarious :mrgreen:
Hirsch I wrote:Also,are you calling me a power-gamer? this is highly offensive! now excuse me, I have to go back to my GrBe game, that I savescummed until trog gave me a Vampiric +9 claymore.

Return to Game Design Discussion