Proposal: pacified monsters drop items

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 14:04

Proposal: pacified monsters drop items

Making monsters drop their weapons on pacification would be very thematically appropriate. Making them drop items they've picked up would be, hmm, just nice.

Edit: Sorry, I had no time for reasoning when I created this topic. So here it is:
I dislike it when I have to worry whether that monster has picked up all the loot from the final vault room or not. I think there are enough questions I have to deal with to decide if I should try to pacify this monster besides aforementioned worrying.
Can I afford that big food cost for pacifying right now? Should I pacify this monster for some piety and half of its XP or should I kill it for the full XP? Will Lesser Healing be enough to pacify it or should I use Greater one (which costs piety)? Will trying to pacify this fat guy take too many attempts thus dropping my piety by a lot?
Imagine you're a monster that has been pacified. You're purified, you are in piece now, you are bathing in the lights of happiness. You no longer need these worldly things. All you want is to run toward the sun!
Last edited by Yermak on Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 18:56

Re: Proposal: pacified monsters drop weapons

I think there was a reason somewhere why this isn't going to happen. off the top of my head:

1) It does seem kind of abusable. you would get double piety gain (gain for pacification, gain for weapon sacrifice).
2) Not thematic. Why would an Ely ability encourage you gaining a weapon?
3) Not thematic. Why would a something not aggressive toward <i>you</i> think it wouldn't still need to defend itself from things in the dungeon?
4) boring. I like the choice involved, knowing that even though pacifying stuff isn't too hard, if i see a brand I would like, I'll have to kill and take it the hard way.

There may even be reasons I've missed. Perhaps there could be some way to get monsters to drop their weapons. I would almost rather see that as a Zin recital effect though.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:27

What if Ely just dissolved their weapon upon pacify
Three wins: Gargoyle Earth Elementalist of Ash, Ogre Fighter of Ru, Deep Dwarf Fighter of Makhleb (0.16 bugbuild :( )

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 19:31

It would make sense if they would at least drop their weapon. But you can always kill the monster if you think that you might need it's weapon for your holy mission :)

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 22:40

You have pacified the monster's aggressiveness towards yourself, not towards anything else. Just because you put a bandage on me and make me feel better and I like you for it doesn't mean I'll never be pissed at someone else and have to defend myself.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 12th February 2014, 22:51

Firstly, please see the edit of my initial post.

IronJelly wrote:I think there was a reason somewhere why this isn't going to happen. off the top of my head:

1) It does seem kind of abusable. you would get double piety gain (gain for pacification, gain for weapon sacrifice).
2) Not thematic. Why would an Ely ability encourage you gaining a weapon?
3) Not thematic. Why would a something not aggressive toward <i>you</i> think it wouldn't still need to defend itself from things in the dungeon?
4) boring. I like the choice involved, knowing that even though pacifying stuff isn't too hard, if i see a brand I would like, I'll have to kill and take it the hard way.

There may even be reasons I've missed. Perhaps there could be some way to get monsters to drop their weapons. I would almost rather see that as a Zin recital effect though.

1) Double piety gain? Man, have you played Healer? Ely grants piety for weapon destroying only before the moment you've reached *** for the first time. And even then weapon destroying is much less valuable than pacifying (please correct Me if I'm wrong).
2) Encouraging weapon gaining, huh? With the current system of not dropping weapon on pacifying player has more reasons to kill the monster rather to pacify it if he wants its weapon!
3) Pacified monster is aggressive to player in the same extent it is aggressive to any other (well, any not pacified) monster in the game. It blindly rushes to the exit, bumping into anything on its way no matter if it is player or another walking obstacle.
4) Boring? Choice involved? Do you say there is no real choice when player don't need monster's weapon? See my edited first post.

P.S. I wasn't going to thank your post, I just missed the 'Quote' button! Argh.
P.P.S. Learnt how to unthank.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Return to Game Design Discussion