Proposal: split "Crazy Yiuf's Corner"

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 12:43

Proposal: split "Crazy Yiuf's Corner"

Crazy Yiuf's Corner (CYC) is described with "If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered."

In fact, CYC seems to serve a double purpose:
  • more or less serious ideas which don't belong to other forums
  • crazy and nonsense communication
I'm sure people like both - but is it possible to separate these things? One forum for "anything else" and one forum for "nonsense"? The latter could keep the name Crazy Yiuf's Corner imo.
Last edited by Turukano on Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks: 3
Hirsch I, MyOtheHedgeFox, XuaXua

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 13:21

Re: Proposal: split "Crazy Yiuf's Corner"

What is serious and yet doesn't fit anywhere else? I don't mind adding another forum, but I'd want to define what's going in it. Or do the crazy people prevent any sane conversation from happening there?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 13:38

galehar wrote:What is serious and yet doesn't fit anywhere else? I don't mind adding another forum, but I'd want to define what's going in it. Or do the crazy people prevent any sane conversation from happening there?

Yes.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, Turukano

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 14:36

So, some kind of "General Discussions" forum, where people can discuss movies, politics and stuff? Is there really interest for that?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 15:01

galehar wrote:So, some kind of "General Discussions" forum, where people can discuss movies, politics and stuff? Is there really interest for that?

I bet MyO would be pretty happy about it.

For this message the author some12fat2move has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 15:44

galehar wrote:So, some kind of "General Discussions" forum, where people can discuss movies, politics and stuff? Is there really interest for that?

"General Discussions" is alright but I thought more about things related to crawl - and in a more serious way than it happens in CYC.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 16:18

At a glance I don't see any examples of attempts at "serious" threads in CYC that have been derailed by nonsense, if there are some then maybe that should just be discouraged instead of creating a whole new subforum?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 17:37

"Sour Dowan's Hidey-Hole"
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
dowan, moocowmoocow

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 17:53

Re:

Turukano wrote:

"General Discussions" is alright but I thought more about things related to crawl - and in a more serious way than it happens in CYC.

There are 3 forums to talk about crawl (advice, YASD, GDD). What kind of discussion is related to crawl yet doesn't fit in any of those?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 19:33

"I haven't really figured out the details enough to make a serious proposal, but it would be cool if there were an ice-themed race. What would be good drawbacks to go with a high ice magic aptitude and natural AC?"
Doesn't fit in the new stricter GDD, but CYC isn't really the right place either.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 20:49

Eh, Advice seems fine for that to me? For stuff that's closely related to Crawl but too vague to be based on a specific character (YAVP) or to turn into a specific proposal (GDD).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 9th October 2013, 21:05

Or just post in CYC and deal with the silliness (or politely ask people to keep the silliness to a minimum).

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 13th October 2013, 06:05

Anyone want to split an order of Tournament Clams? You can have the horseradish as long as I get the cocktail sauce.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 15th October 2013, 20:35

Yeah I don't see a need for this. You could put "[serious]" or something in your thread title. I would be happy to police it for you.

As far as wide-ranging offtopic discussions go, I'm sure everyone here already has their own preferred fora for discussing politics, religion, Doctor Who etc.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 3rd December 2013, 20:48

Oh, so I needed to put the word "serious" in the topic title in square brackets! Did not know the syntax! Now I see why that topic got flooded! =)

Truth be told, I'd be happy to play forum-based games or discuss something else without running into Yuif mood. Even when not playing Crawl, I'd like to still find some repose in the community. Without any interest in Crawl, staying here seems like a rather bland idea -- and the absense of "Let's Talk About Something Else Than Crawl In a Relatively Serious Manner" forum section makes it quite hard for me.

In most forums I visited, there have been two Offtopic sections -- reasonably.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 5th February 2014, 21:52

I occasionally use CYC's for half-baked ideas/suggestions. Things that I want some feedback on but that I'm not going to throw together a more serious GDD proposal for. You could split that off if you like, but I don't mind it being in CYC either.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 6th February 2014, 00:51

Agree with MyO, it always struck me as very weird that there isn't any "non-Crawl" talk around here. I figure Yiuf is probably the right place for that in the current setup, but most boards do have a General Discussions and Media board at the very least (in addition to a spammy, random forum).

Grimm wrote:As far as wide-ranging offtopic discussions go, I'm sure everyone here already has their own preferred fora for discussing politics, religion, Doctor Who etc.

On the other hand, having these sort of off topic discussions are also a great way to get to know people in the DCSS community better without being strictly limited to Crawl talk.

I doubt I would personally use other forums for general talk much if they were added, but it does seem strange that they don't exist.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 6th February 2014, 01:16

Boris's Badgering: Topical Crawl Chatter
Discussions about Crawl that don't fall into game advice, quality designs, tournaments or game instances.

Crazy Yiuf's Corner: Completely Off-Topic Chatter
Everything else; chaos reigns; hail Xom!!!1!1!!one

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 04:13

well, I would like to have a place to discuss various things in the tavern. people here have a lot in common (at least a masochistic tendency), and can be very fun and interesting. but even those people can be very, very nonsensical and chaotic, preventing truly interesting conversations. it is ok to behave like that, it is fun, so we can have a place for this. but discussing other things will bring us closer, and we will treat each other less and less as strangers. people tend to be more civil when they are less anonymous, so the amount of toxicity of the users will possibly go down.
also, I would love to learn more about the people that share this strange hobby with me. it is like a small town, where everybody knows each other, and this is nice.
if more people share this feeling, then a split can be interesting. maybe a Confused Crazy Yiuf Corner.
my posts are to be read in a mildly playful tone, with a deep, sexy voice.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th February 2014, 05:45

Cyc and Floor Trash

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 6th March 2014, 20:36

Please make a forum for asking for and giving bad crawl advice. "Hmm, you're next to an ogre at low hp, try equipping and unequipping that distortion weapon. You'll eventually be abyssed where you can heal to full safely."

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 7th March 2014, 06:29

Second one?

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
and into

Return to Suggestions & Criticism