Most unusual escapes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 12th April 2011, 20:46

Most unusual escapes

I have occasionally run across instances where something completely unexpected or weird might help me make an escape from a powerful unique or nasty situation. I'm assuming that the most unusual probably go away as you get more experienced and know what useful things to save to make escapes.

I'll start with an example of the most bizarre example I've had so far.

I was walking down a hallway, and as soon as I enter the room at the end of the hall, Sigmund appears, and is acutely aware of my presence. I take a few steps away first but he starts closing the distance faster than I felt I could get to the stairs. Having no other choice, I decide now is a good time to start using my unidentified scrolls in the hopes of something helpful happening.

First scroll I click is the scroll of random uselessness. Suddenly there are butterflies everywhere. I have no idea if the yell command can actually control these butterflies, but I yelled for them to attack anyway and fled northward, my butterfly minions preventing him from following. I managed to find the stairs and get down before he was able to catch up.

So what interesting escapes have you guys had?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 09:47

Re: Most unusual escapes

Butterflies are confused, they don't take orders.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 11:16

IDEA: Scroll of Unconfuse.
Unconfuses you and your allies, and this includes butterflies.
Craziest Hamster

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 16:07

varkarrus wrote:IDEA: Scroll of Unconfuse.

Ponders reading scroll of unconfuse while confused...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 16:44

JeffQyzt wrote:

That's akin to Nethack's famed scroll of cure blindness.

Back on topic, in my current game my DrTm was pinned down in a corner by a pack of jackals. Poisoned and with HP running out, it was time to start quaffing madly and hope for healing or heal wounds.

First potion, resistance. Now with rPois, I evaporate a confusion potion on top of myself and scatter the pack. I make my retreat and fortunately the poison wears off before my health gives out. Phew.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 13th April 2011, 23:31

JeffQyzt wrote:

I figure it has written on it something so amazingly blatantly obvious that it's impossible to be confused afterward.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 01:50

You can always tell a scroll of unconfusion is a scroll of unconfusion because it only has one syllable on it.
Craziest Hamster

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 02:06

D'oh!
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 05:33

Falling down a Shaft next to Gastronok, fleeing like hell, getting hit with a bite that takes me down to 4 HP from 51, Gastronok casts a spell...

...I find a corner, turn it and there's an altar of Fedhas.

I'm worshipping Fedhas. There's four plants near it, I have a scroll of Fog, I use it and stand on the altar, convert the four plants to oklob, Gastronok walks into melee range and immediately gets hit by four oklob plants and my Artifact spear under Berserk from an Amulet of Rage.

I then go down to Starving and have no fruit.

For this message the author The Mantis has received thanks: 3
mageykun, pratamawirya, XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th April 2011, 05:58

Classic.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 15th April 2011, 20:10

Latest SpPa tried to brave the hive with a rPois randart. Unfortunately, my evasion and AC were not us to snuff, and I was seriously in danger of being overwhelmed by the bees. To make matters worse, I miskeyed in my haste, and took some stairs I shouldn't have, acquiring more bees.

I tried a cleansing flame, but with only 2 invocations it failed. So In desperation, I read an un-ID-ed scroll. It was fear. Whoo! First time that's ever happened. :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th April 2011, 18:00

Here is one from my first win heavy armor MDDK of Yre in 0.6. Remember, heavy armor is crap in 0.6 so this wasn't such a strong combination at all.

Ok, the dwarf is surrounded by draconians and an orb fire in zot 5 in an open area with the orb but without means of teleportation or escaping. Why did I get my char surrounded? Well, I did not know that the hole level would be full of demons after the orb is picked up and I had to use all of my remaining escape scrolls (no spells) only to land on a very challenging position where my char is low on health (forty something) maybe slowed as well because of berserking. My char desperately hits his wand of healing but the HP gains are zero to low because of the monsters next to me.

Then I remembered the drain life ability so my char is in 80-90 hp. Still, my char could only use that ability for maybe like 3 times because of the high piety cost. So I feel my first W slipping away slowly because I'm constantly getting hammered, can't outrun them and gaining crappy mutations. The dwarf could survive for a couple of turns if I would ruin my piety completely abusing drain life but what about after that? Then, one of the draconins casts a spell "198666 | Zot:5 | You are cast into the Abyss!" :D :D . Needless to say, it was easy from this point on. I'm something like 80-90 % sure that without that banishment I woud not have my first win 8-) .

For this message the author Mankeli has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner