thought regarding the rage mutation:

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 22:23

thought regarding the rage mutation:

It's just a thought, but I think that if you kill the last enemy in LOS, the mutation should have a higher chance to not trigger. I find that I often end a combat, and on the last kill, I go berserk with nothing around to use it on. This makes it just added hunger for finishing combat. Unless this was the intention, i think that, even if the rage is supernatural in nature, you would have a chance to see that nothing nearby remains, and not berserk. Just a chance, sort of like how you have an extra chance for poison to end/reduce when it puts you down to 1 HP.

This would, for me, reduce tedium, since i often berserk at the end of the last guy in combat, and just have to wait it out and waste food. Again, it might be intentional, but if it isn't, i think it would make sense.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 22:40

Re: thought regarding the rage mutation:

I think that the whole point of the mutation is that it goes off at inconvenient times. However, as has been stated in other threads, there is a huge abundance of food in the game. So it is mostly an annoyance that it sometimes happens at the end of combat. I think that what should really happen is that a lot of the food sources should be removed from the game but that is a much bigger (and more controversial) change.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 22:45

The bad thing about rage triggering like that is not food loss, it's that the battle that triggered it might've attracted other enemies and you'll have to deal with them while slowed.
It's a harmful mutation, after all.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 16:25

Sar wrote:The bad thing about rage triggering like that is not food loss, it's that the battle that triggered it might've attracted other enemies and you'll have to deal with them while slowed.
It's a harmful mutation, after all.

Oh ok. if the fact that it triggers at the end of combat so often is an intended feature, then this thread is pointless.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 16:34

I doubt that the "triggering at the end of combat" thing is anything other than "it triggers sometimes when you melee attack and you notice it happening at the end of combat"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
johlstei, Sar, XuaXua

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 20:23

njvack wrote:I doubt that the "triggering at the end of combat" thing is anything other than "it triggers sometimes when you melee attack and you notice it happening at the end of combat"

That's possibly true, I totally hold tab down and pay no attention until the screen is flooded with "no enemy in range" messages. I have no idea when i actually went berserk, and submitted this thread after it happened only one time.

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 30th January 2014, 21:55

That's not what njvack is saying. Why do you get super defensive any time anyone questions your assumptions?

Like I get it when people have a bad day and lash out in undeservingly as a result but you seem to do it consistently.

Return to Game Design Discussion