Djinn: how do you gain essence?

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 18:15

Djinn: how do you gain essence?

My title basically says it. There maybe should be a way for non-spoiled players to find out whether Spellcasting or Fighting is better (or if one doesn't contribute) to raising their essence. Currently I can't find that information anywhere.

I'm not sure where you would put it. Maybe in the skill description? maybe in the species description? It might be good in the 'A' screen. A simple line of "You are fueled by Spellcasting Essence" (or Fighting Essence, or A Combination of Fighting and Spellcasting Essence) would be enough.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 18:50

Re: Djinn: how do you gain essence?

EP is just HP plus MP. Period. Anything that would give you more HP (e.g. Fighting) gives you that much more EP. Anything that would give you more MP (e.g. Spellcasting) gives you that much more EP. There's no weirdness whatsoever; however much HP & MP you would have had, you just add them together.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th January 2014, 18:57

Re: Djinn: how do you gain essence?

It's not that complicated, your essence is always what your hp and mp would be in combination if the two were separate.

Fighting always contributes to your hp, and therefore essence, Spellcasting, Evocation or Invocation will always contribute to your MP (Whichever is highest) and therefore essence.

Dj are still a 'work in progress' so I'm not sure that the mechnisms used presently will continue as-is, I'm sure if it makes it's way into a stable build, more complete documentation will be one of the things that will come along with it.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Game Design Discussion