Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges Season 1 - Complete

Official tournaments, but also any competition, challenge of the week or other player initiative for competitive crawling.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:10

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges

Great idea! I am in.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:10

I almost never play online and I always play tiles.

Knowing the WebTiles does not support mouse, I've been doing my best to ween myself off the mouse. I can't recognize crap in ASCII Tiles.

I'd love to participate, but I'll need a little hand-holding for the set-up and whether WebTiles is something that guy Sequell recognizes.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:32

XuaXua wrote:I almost never play online and I always play tiles.

Knowing the WebTiles does not support mouse, I've been doing my best to ween myself off the mouse. I can't recognize crap in ASCII Tiles.

I'd love to participate, but I'll need a little hand-holding for the set-up and whether WebTiles is something that guy Sequell recognizes.

I am not going to play console either. I have used mouse in crawl for 6+ months but then got tired of moving mouse to spell icons and switched to keyboard only. Surprisingly it was not that hard and I finally stopped clicking Revivification icon instead of Fire Storm one :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:57

Sandman25 wrote:
XuaXua wrote:I almost never play online and I always play tiles.

I am not going to play console either. I have used mouse in crawl for 6+ months but then got tired of moving mouse to spell icons and switched to keyboard only. Surprisingly it was not that hard and I finally stopped clicking Revivification icon instead of Fire Storm one :)

At the risk of de-rail, I use it for onscreen travel shortcuts, but lately I've noticed that when I play crawl, the mouse double-click sensitivity increases and it's almost impossible to single click. I've lost too many games now to this inadvertent double-click "bug" than anything else, and I feel if I report it on mantis, it'd probably get dismissed as a factor of my machine.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 22:58

WalkerBoh wrote:I'm using an amalgam of # of wins, win rate, % of games with # of runes > 0, and avg # of runes per game. Oh and max streak length.

Where do you find this data?

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 23:05

crate: Good point! I hadn't thought of that.

XuaXua: You can play tiles, that's no problem. Just has to be online.

Magipi: In the crawl IRC channel (##crawl on freenode), you can access all sorts of statistics if you know how to format the query. Sequell is the name of the bot that handles these queries.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Magipi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 19th January 2014, 23:15

XuaXua wrote:I'd love to participate, but I'll need a little hand-holding for the set-up and whether WebTiles is something that guy Sequell recognizes.

Playing on webtiles is as simple as being able to click on a link and being able to play crawl without a mouse. Also, CSZO, CAO, and CLAN, all have webtiles and are recognized by Sequell.
take it easy

Barkeep

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 01:01

crate wrote:If you were making this serious then having the same seed is not necessarily a benefit--a player could gain an advantage by simply waiting to view a competitor's ttyrec (to learn the dungeon) before playing.

Huh, or just playing a multi.

Yeah, unless someone is going to try and vet players and not publish ttyrecs until the following day, randomness is better than seeding. It works for spelunky because it's tied to your steam account (which is tied to actual money) which is not a thing here ;)
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 02:15

Am in. Let's see how quickly I'll splat these slow non-spriggan races.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 03:29

Quick update: Signups now close on 1/24 and the competition will start on 1/27. After consulting a calendar, I realized I put up the wrong dates originally.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 20:45

anyone can partecipate right? i'd like to

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 22:30

Yep, anyone at all. Added you to the list.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 22:32

In.

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 20th January 2014, 22:38

Count me in.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 03:46

I'm in; this sounds like a good motivator to actually start working on scores.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 10:10

I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play, but what the heck sign me up as well. Thanks for organizing WalkerBoh!

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 10:30

I'm in :)
Online stats
Fastest Hell runes (enter Hell branch -> get the rune)
Icy : 56 / Iron : 126 / Obsidian : 215 / Bone : 125

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 10:58

Re: Crawl Challenges

WalkerBoh wrote:
sanka wrote:I like trunk, the only think I would add is to remove experimental races. Particulary Lava Orc and Djinni seems to be so vague that they may undergoe big changes any time sombody has a good idea, so I would not like to play with them on a tournament (yet).

Yes, exactly. Any race (or class if a new one is added) that hasn't made it into a stable release will not be a candidate for the challenges.

Just thought of something. Should the new god (Dith) be barred as well?

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 17:13

No, I think allowing Dith is fine. Unlike the races/classes, you are not required to use Dith to complete the challenge, so it's up to each player if that's how they want to build their character. Also for drastic changes to trunk, I think part of that definition is that the change has to affect every player.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 17:49

will this mode be playable at kr.dobrazupa.org? currently this server is the only available server for me due to internet problems
if it is i would like to join in

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 18:02

Unfortunately no, I don't think the Korean server is an official server. If the games you play don't show up on your profile (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... b0803.html), it won't work.

Maybe try posting a thread in the Technical Support forum to see if there's any way you can play on another, allowed server. I don't know what Internet issues you're having but that's a better place to get help.

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 18:05

I will participate with the account "TedronaiSDC" (which I will use exclusively for playing these challenge characters).

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 02:07

WalkerBoh wrote:Unfortunately no, I don't think the Korean server is an official server. If the games you play don't show up on your profile (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... b0803.html), it won't work.

Maybe try posting a thread in the Technical Support forum to see if there's any way you can play on another, allowed server. I don't know what Internet issues you're having but that's a better place to get help.

so I live in asia and this really hinders my gameplay experience in any of the official servers. are there any alternatives i might not know?

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 06:10

headcrab0803 wrote:
WalkerBoh wrote:Unfortunately no, I don't think the Korean server is an official server. If the games you play don't show up on your profile (http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... b0803.html), it won't work.

so I live in asia and this really hinders my gameplay experience in any of the official servers. are there any alternatives i might not know?

Have you tried playing console on the alternative CSZO server (dobrazupa.org)? In my experience (I live in mainland China) I could actually play here with less lag than on kr.dobrazupa.org.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 06:49

oh well, i tried to play in cszo and it actually worked fine unlike the last time i tried it. so i would like to join this competition too.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 10:46

I'm pretty sure that the Korean server is official, in that Sequell at least knows about it and tracks games/milestones, and has links to logs:
  Code:
<MarvinPA> !lg * src=ckr -log
<Sequell> 9295. dredsub, XL4 MiFi, T:1808: http://kr.dobrazupa.org/morgue/0.13/dredsub/morgue-dredsub-20140122-092428.txt

Not sure where that CAO page gets games from, I'll ask around in -dev.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 20:53

I'm in!!!

.... but why do we have to "register?" Can't this operate like the other tournies where you just "play" and some cron job scrapes a databases and updates static webpages with the latest state of the competition?

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 22:47

@Moose: First, and most importantly, I don't know how to set that up. This competition is purely limited to the extent of my knowledge until someone else who knows more volunteers something better. Plus, all you have to do is play anyways - I'll take care of recording your scores after you play. It won't be as instant as an automated script, but at least once per day.

Also for now, I'd like to keep the scope purely to players who are interested, and not drag everyone into it. This isn't an official event like a tournament, after all. If this season goes really well and there is interest in making it something more official, then I can see transitioning to what you're suggesting. Until then, I'd like to keep it limited as it is now.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 23:26

WalkerBoh wrote:I'd like to keep the scope purely to players who are interested

I'd like to try this but I'm not sure that I fall into that category: I will probably forfeit all Deep Dwarf characters and maybe others that get boring. If you have no problem with that, sign me up.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 23rd January 2014, 01:42

Yep, you can play as few or as many of the characters as you want. Though if you think you might only play 1 or 2 out of the 10, then I'd suggest not joining and just playing them on the side for fun.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 23rd January 2014, 04:04

I'm in!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 05:38

Okay, just a few quick updates:

First, a reminder that signups end tomorrow at midnight (7pm EST). I will release the divisions hopefully by Saturday morning, and the competition will begin with the selection of the first combo/bonus on Sunday at midnight (7pm EST on Sunday).

Second, with regards to divisions, unless we get a flood of new signups in the next 24 hours here is approximately how I will be grouping the divisions:
Spoiler: show
Division 0 - Players who play the majority of their games offline.
Division 1 - Players w/ 30+ online wins.
Divisions 2 & 3 - Players w/ 10+ online wins. Division 2 will be the players from that group with higher average scores and better % of games with # of runes>0.
Division 4 - Players w/ 2+ online wins.
Division 5 - Players with 1 or fewer online wins.

This doesn't shake out quite perfectly, so there may be minor tweaks, but it should be pretty good for the purposes of separating players into like skill groups. For the offline division, I really have no way of knowing how to place you guys. So at least for the first season, I think it's best to separate offline players into one division; I hope the range of skills isn't too imbalanced, but it seems most of the offline guys are relatively experienced.

Third, I have put a lot of time (way more than I anticipated) into creating a nice, mostly-automated scoring sheet for the challenges. I'll put that up when I release the divisions, but here are the stats I'm currently displaying right now:
- Each player's score for each challenge, separated by division
- Each score is color-coded to show whether the game was won/unwon and with how many runes (1+ or 10+ if unwon, 3+ or 6+ if won)
- Each player's average score, median score, and max score across all of their challenge attempts
- Each player's average ranking within their division (i.e., if you place 2nd in challenge 1 then 4th in challenge 2, your average ranking is 3.0)
- Each player's overall ranking across all players (i.e., for each challenge, all players ranked by score from 1:N and the overall ranking = each players average rank across all challenges)
- The # of times each player scores in the top 25% of all players in a challenge
- The top 3 scorers for each challenge per division, and the current top division score for each challenge
- Which players completed a bonus or collected a rune with xl<=12 for each challenge

It is quite a lot of information, but I'm open to adding more stats if there is something that would particularly interest someone. I thought it'd be particularly nice to have some overall rankings across all players, so people can easily see how they're doing compared to people in other divisions.

Fourth, I added a learndb entry for the challenges. It can be found at ??csdc, and i'll try to keep it updated with relevant information. You can also use '!nick csdc' to see a list of all players currently in the competition. I'll add another learndb entry ??csdc_info later, which will have a list of the start dates for each challenge, and a list of each challenge char. Finally, I'll also create ??csdc_bonus, which will have a list of the optional bonuses for each week.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 09:56

I haven't checked all the players inscribed but I'm thinking division 1 and 2 (and eventually 3) should be merged: while probably there are some skill gaps between who got 30+ wins and who 10 (at least, I improved a lot since my first victories), the numbers don't seems to allow such strict division.
For example, for now only you, me and yermak have 30+ wins and 3 competitors seems quite a low number for a tournament
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 10:27

nly you, me and yermak have 30+ wins

I did count 7. MrPlanck, MorganLeah, ackack and me included.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 10:56

Then nevermind, I was on my phone and I probably missed some post reading back the topic :roll:
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 14:56

Yep, 7 players. No division will have less than 6.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th January 2014, 22:23

Sounds fun. Sign me up.
take it easy

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 25th January 2014, 02:23

Can I still join? If so sign me up. I am terrible at this game so put me in the Terrible Division tyvm.
>:V=3

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 25th January 2014, 02:35

Haha damn you, I just finalized the divisions! I'll throw you in though, no worries. :)

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 06:01

Updated first post: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=10503&p=144963#p144963.

I added an updated set of rules, a list of the division assignments, and a (to be announced) list of the challenges and bonuses. And most importantly, there is a big link to the scoring sheet that will be tracking all of the results, stats, and standings for the competition.

A couple notes:

- Update to the rules: each optional bonus will be split into two tiers. Tier I challenges are easer than Tier II but worth less points - hopefully this helps give less experienced/successful players a chance to aim for completing bonuses, too.

- If you are really unhappy with your division assignment, please send me a PM and I'll see if anything can be worked out. Keep in mind that I tried to assign the divisions as fairly as possible with the (certainly limited) stats I had at my disposal, and they will not be perfect. But if I made a big mistake regarding your placement, whether too high or too low, please send me a message.

- I posted a few relevant/interesting statistics on the score sheet on the "Weekly Results" tab. If there is anything else you're interested in tracking, let me know. If I like it (and it's not too much work), I'll add it on there. I also have a couple tabs hidden - they display the tables I used for calculating rankings, both overall and divisions. If people are interested in seeing those, I can unhide them - but they are not really well organized/displayed at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reminder, the Week 1 challenge will be announced on Sunday at 7pm EST. I'm really pleasantly surprised to receive so much interest in the inaugural CSDC season (46 players, wow!), and I hope it will be as fun for all of you as it will be for me. Good luck!

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 08:33

Could you still put me in? Sorry to be late.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 14:01

I have just realized that maybe Dithmengos should not be allowed. He is the best god for getting a rune before XL 12 because of 50% damage decrease and extra attacks for all characters so I suspect too many players will use him in every game because getting early rune (and then losing) brings the same 3 points as winning a game with 3 runes does. What do you think?

For this message the author Sandman25 has received thanks:
XuaXua

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 17:39

@Sandman: I can see some sense in banning Dith. I haven't personally played with him yet, so I can't speak to how easy it would be to grab early runes with him. I can also see banning him falling in the same category as the new races (Dj, LO, Fo, and VS if that gets in soon), although less so because of reasons I outlined earlier.

For now in the interest of preventing issues ahead of time, let's go ahead and ban Dith. Maybe later in the season we can lift the ban.

I am also going to add two new latecomers: Implojin and glosham.

And one more rule update: instead of the {score-gold} <= 50 for the redo criterion, I am changing it to XL < 4. It effectively amounts to the same thing and is clearer for players. So once you reach XL4 with a character, you cannot redo the challenge.

For this message the author WalkerBoh has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 19:22

What if you complete the challenge before XL4? Can you do it again for double points?

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 19:29

If by "complete the challenge" you mean "win the game", then in that case you win everything and have nothing else to live for.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 23:17

If you're still adding latecomers, I'm interested. One humiliatingly bad game a week sounds like my kind of competition.

Either way, good luck to the challengers!

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 23:24

Sorry amilir, it's a little too late now. But you can always play the challenges on your own!

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 26th January 2014, 23:29

I figured as much. It's not like I was in any danger of doing well, so playing on my own should be just about as fun. ;)

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 00:20

Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges

Quick rule clarification: With regards to bonuses, you only get points for either Tier I OR Tier II bonuses - you do not get extra points for doing both.

For example, for week 1, you get 1 pt for killing Geryon and 3 pts if you also kill Antaeus. You do not get 4 pts for both.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 00:51

Re: Crawl "Sudden Death" Challenges - Week 1

WalkerBoh wrote:Quick rule clarification: With regards to bonuses, you only get points for either Tier I OR Tier II bonuses - you do not get extra points for doing both.

For example, for week 1, you get 1 pt for killing Geryon and 3 pts if you also kill Antaeus. You do not get 4 pts for both.

Does it mean you get 3 points if you did Tier II but not Tier I?
PreviousNext

Return to The Dart Board