Purple DrWi XL 7: What direction if I find book of Necro?

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 21:55

Purple DrWi XL 7: What direction if I find book of Necro?

Just wondering -- no god yet (no altars, no sign yet of Temple) -- what a better player would do. Trying to teach myself to roll with what RNG hands me. So far, I've just been training Conj and Dodging; spell-wise, I've got dart, imp, meph cloud, conj flame, and blink. Any ideas what I should train for?

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 22:12

Re: Purple DrWi XL 7: What direction if I find book of Necro

You'll want a way to kill things sometime soon. Maybe pick up a pointy or thumpy thing and learn to hit monsters with it?

Can't know what spell schools to train until you find some spells you want.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 21st January 2014, 22:16

What god are you planning on? If you're going for Veh, then keep the Conjurations turned on for a while to make good use of his spell gifts.
If you're going for Sif, then you have more options. Especially being purple. Good apts for hexes and charms means that some of her spellbooks will be easier to get online with.
Being such an early level, I would really make a concrete decision on what magic skills to focus until you find either an alter or a random book (whichever comes first).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 02:00

Probably I would pick Okawaru or Kiku. It's unlikely that I would have conjurations higher than 5 or so, and the only spells from the starting book I would be using are magic dart and blink. With a few exceptions, I just don't really care about spells at this point in the game. I don't know if this helps you at all, but it's what I would be doing.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 03:01

Thanks to all that responded -- I'm sure I was unclear in the OP, but I didn't think it made sense to get too detailed given the low level of the character -- I've been higher (won a couple of times), but every once in a while I actually try to get at least a little better at playing.

Mikee, if you happen to check back in here, I'm not sure I understand -- you don't care about spells at the early stage of the game, or you just don't care about them at all now as a player? Anyway, thanks again; I'll see what god I run into first, I guess.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 22nd January 2014, 03:50

In the part of the game that you are at (xl 7 with a drwz), there are only a few spells that would influence my decision making. These tend to be very xp efficient and directly help the character as soon as possible: sticky flame, ensorcelled hibernation (if interested in stabbing)... I can't actually think of any others... animate skeleton I guess, if I liked that spell. There are some books that are very good in general, especially around lair, but if I found a book of frost or something with this character, my initial reaction wouldn't be like, 'omg have to train ice magic right now'.

As njvack has mentioned, this is a character that can melee quite well, and developing that has the biggest immediate impact. (Again, this is just answering the question of what I would do. If you end up posting a dump or something or have some other questions, I will try to answer otherwise).
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

For this message the author mikee has received thanks:
Abominae

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice