Generic Brainstorming!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 12:19

Re: Generic Brainstorming!

Don't confuse mods and devs! ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th April 2011, 14:30

I had had the former version {http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLg2JbELs9o} in mind but I like mageykun's description so much we'll go with that one.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 11:25

It is entirely possible that the game will actually include Octopoids! (Well, they're named Octopodes.) One of the Devs has put up a version with them for test playing on the crawl.akrasiac.org online server. They can wear an amulet, a hat, 8 rings, and nothing else. I forget if they get 1 wield or 8 wields, but they get more than 0. And they tentacle-slap.

For this message the author erisdiscordia has received thanks:
Grimm

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 8th April 2011, 15:52

I actually invented a race of squidmen once.

All of their vital organs are in their "head", which is twice the size of a human head, with large eyes. They have 2 very long tentacles which they use as legs, 2 shorter tentacles with opposable thumbs (like mittens), and 4 short tentacles which can wear rings, and squi and nothing else.

They have no neck so they can't wear amulets.
Craziest Hamster

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 06:09

ENCAPSULATOR: Shouts constantly and wakes everything on the level. If it kills you, your morgue file will be in ALL CAPS.

For this message the author danr has received thanks: 2
MyOtheHedgeFox, pratamawirya

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 9th April 2011, 07:14

WIZARD HAT:

A wizard that is also a hat. On death may be worn on the head.

For this message the author The Mantis has received thanks:
pratamawirya

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 04:27

hahahah

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 10th April 2011, 05:47

Grimm wrote:There might be a seed of an idea there for using floor trash for other purposes...I like that Nemelexers get to utilize otherwise useless crap for a good purpose (even though decks of destruction are weak). Maybe artificers could reforge weapons or something? Use the metal to power some sort of device?
I am really, really into this idea. I desperately want artificers to be amazing but I think it would require an entire new skill.
mageykun wrote:Ever play Earthbound? All the healing items were food, and there were condiments. If a character ate something, and had condiments in inventory, they would randomly add one to the meal. Depending on the combination of ingredients, and on which party member was doing the eating, effects varied, wildly.

I could definitely see catchup, or a variety of sauces, improving chunks of raw meat. Even the spriggans could use some salad dressing, or parmesan cheese. XD
Pretty much my favorite RPG mechanic of all time, save the For Sale Sign (drop a sign and someone comes to buy your trash) which is also from Earthbound. -_-

Shopkeep class plz.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 04:34

SOLAR BEAR: Like a polar bear but from the tropics.

MOLAR BEAR: Like a solar bear but tooth-themed. Vegetarian. Spriggans can eat this bear if it is heavily curried.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 12:55

idea: Winning by going through the bottom of the hells with the orb a la dante's inferno.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 20:45

New weapon: Boomerang! - always has the returning brand, but can have other brands as well.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 21:17

mageykun's prime post about posting your concepts led me here.

Due to this thread on cross-school spellcasting, I came up with an idea for eliminating the Spellcasting skill, which really just becomes a general dump for experience points, by turning it into an ability based on overall spellcasting knowledge.

I only had a little in-thread feedback since it was somewhat off topic, so I posted my idea (and a few alterations on the idea) in-full this week here on the dev wiki and really would love some feedback. Do I need to post it here, or can I just leave it on the wiki?

A similar approach could be used to remove Fighting.

edit: Wait, is this thread for goofy ideas? I ask because several posts seem a little silly and I am 100% serious about my suggestion. Have I been misdirected by the prime sticky post?
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 17th April 2011, 21:47

XuaXua wrote:Wait, is this thread for goofy ideas? I ask because several posts seem a little silly and I am 100% serious about my suggestion. Have I been misdirected by the prime sticky post?

's how I've always taken it. Most of the ideas are pretty silly, and this is Yiuf's after all. Not saying good ideas can't come out of it or anything, just seems like the predilection is otherwise.
The green ugly thing basks in the mutagenic energy from your post and changes!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th April 2011, 01:50

Megabass wrote:
XuaXua wrote:Wait, is this thread for goofy ideas? I ask because several posts seem a little silly and I am 100% serious about my suggestion. Have I been misdirected by the prime sticky post?

's how I've always taken it. Most of the ideas are pretty silly, and this is Yiuf's after all. Not saying good ideas can't come out of it or anything, just seems like the predilection is otherwise.

Grr, that's what I get for misreading the last part of this post. :/ I'll find the appropriate place to discuss; hopefully I'll get the feedback I'm looking for. :)
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 18th April 2011, 02:03

I apologize for misleading you, XuaXua. The main reason I linked this thread was to provide a counterpoint; after all that stuff about the formal, correct, and time consuming proposal process, I threw up the quick, easy, informal and joking alternative. I made a small edit to the sticky, hopefully this is clearer now.

This thread is mostly for joking around, but occasionally jokes become reality.

For something as serious as the removal of the spellcasting skill though, you probably want to make a thread in design discussion. Definitely link your wiki article- you put a lot more work into fleshing out the details of your proposal than most. That effort is appreciated, no matter how the proposal is ultimately accepted.

For this message the author mageykun has received thanks:
XuaXua

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 18th April 2011, 03:27

mageykun wrote:For something as serious as the removal of the spellcasting skill though, you probably want to make a thread in design discussion.

Done, thanks. :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 07:57

boomerang is an excellent idea

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 10:08

ARMOR-PIERCING BRAND: Nullifies the target's AC. Can be found on bullets/arrows/bolts.

KRIS: Short Blade. Amplifies the user's magical power and/or increases his MR.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 12:04

Grimm wrote:boomerang is an excellent idea

I concur. Only chakram would be cooler weapon for this I think.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 15:22

Grenades.

When all the stairs down are blocked by crowds of monsters, I'd like nothing more than the ability to lob a grenade down the stairs to clear myself a path.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 16:24

Oh yeah, that reminds me of a similar idea: sacred explosives. A fixedart stack of throwing items that explode like a more powerful holy word (but making a lot of noise in the process).

For this message the author Tiber has received thanks: 2
dolphin, pratamawirya

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th April 2011, 16:39

"The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch" just popped into my mind.
Human kind cannot bear very much reality.
TSE

For this message the author dolphin has received thanks:
RFHolloway

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 18:43

Berserkers totally need the option to set bookstores ablaze. It's not like they need the piety, or that I'd expect any shopkeeper gold to survive for looting, I just want to be able to burn. For laughs. And for Trog, of course.

Heck, maybe all shops should be destructible. Watch where you point that level 9 spell...

Finally, if it doesn't already, tornado should knock down trees.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 1st May 2011, 21:17

mageykun wrote:Finally, if it doesn't already, tornado should knock down trees.

It does. This is fun in the Spriggan Forest vault. Make sure the infestation never returns.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks:
mageykun

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 9th May 2011, 12:02

I propose changing Shoutitis 1 to Sneezing Fits.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

For this message the author joellercoaster has received thanks:
shriash

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 04:39

Only if you get it from an ice-themed mutation source.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 04:39

Only half in jest, wands of cold should be renamed wands of ice.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 10th May 2011, 10:13

Omg this tread is beautiful. I have some too !

Add the possibility to play as Crazy Yiuf, therefore adapting the game log to Yiufese conventions of language. Also Crazy Yiuf sometimes refuses to obey your commands and do what he wants. "Crazy Yiufs refuses to eat the meat ration. Crazy Yiuf eats a spear. You die...".

A wall specie. Your aim is to completely shut the dungeon by cloning yourself and filling open spaces (you're a mutant wall so of course you can clone yourself). You gain XP by crushing monsters and eating weapons makes you a badass wall with traps. Best combo for crushing is of course Wall SUMMONER.

A new class : the Badass. Has some incredihugetastic stats and skills boosts when the odds are totally against him (kill sigmund naked at level 1 without spells ? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED).
EDIT : also the possibility of taunting the ennemy, therefore strenghening the boosts. The more ridiculous the taunt, the better.

Also half-serious ideas, kinda.
Playable Jelly is on my mind since some times. You upgrade your unarmed attacks by eating weapons, and you can brand your unarmed attacks by "holding" (that is keeping it in some jellystomach-proof space i guess :? ) a branded weapon. You can use brands and scrolls ofc, but the "non-digestive" space inside your stomach is limited and grows bigger as you eat more corpses (or things). Same for AC, you gain AC by eating armors and you can "equip" armors/rings/amulets to gain protections.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 11th May 2011, 03:28

Ququman wrote:A wall specie. Your aim is to completely shut the dungeon by cloning yourself and filling open spaces (you're a mutant wall so of course you can clone yourself).

"Help I'm a Rock"
Last edited by Grimm on Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 31st May 2011, 22:43

If you play as a Crusader or Archer, and convert to Trog, he should on occasion summon flaming peasants to surround you, because everyone knows that Trog *adores* burnination of knights, archers, and peasants!

Also, slime creatures should on occasion drop medicinal herbs which restore 30 HP... and red spotted mushrooms should temporarily double your max HP and allow you to break holes in the ceiling to retreat to a shallower part of the dungeon!
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

For this message the author ekolis has received thanks: 2
Grimm, MyOtheHedgeFox

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2011, 08:35

A race of anti-ogres that gets +2 aptitude in all magic schools but -3 Spellcasting.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2011, 09:21

this proposal isn't far off. racial high metabolism could make it interesting. high mp-regeneration more so (although it kind of offsets high metabolism...).
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 1st June 2011, 13:40

ekolis wrote:... and red spotted mushrooms should temporarily double your max HP and allow you to break holes in the ceiling to retreat to a shallower part of the dungeon!

If that goes in, then oklobs need to go down with one hit from a fireball.

(Pedantic question, does it double your max HP, or does it give you one more HP? All looks the same when you start with one hit point!)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 18th June 2011, 17:39

Casting Shatter in the shoals should cause a tsunami.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 10:11

LIQUID BULL: a bull that is made of liquid. Comes in different flavours: green tea bull, lymph bull, bleach bull, tea tree oil bull, i tak dalej.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 24th June 2011, 20:00

You should be able to defile altars to other gods. Especially if you worship one of the evil gods or Trog. Slaughtering the other gods' servants isn't enough, dammit, I want to desecrate their holy places, too! In-game, it could be a way to win a nice chunk of piety, at the risk of having the victim god smite you or something.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 03:33

You can disintegrate Beogh idols and hear a scream. Not sure if there are any game effects though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 04:48

UNIQUE'S GHOST: When you kill a living unique (not demon or undead), you will meet his ghost in the next game you play.

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 09:19

An Engineer Class. Can build ballistas, stationary trebuchets (has to kite monster into the range of it), build fortifications for +AC and resists.
Needs wood to build most of em .. has to collect the wooden weapons for building.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 10:44

MonorailCat wrote:An Engineer Class. Can build ballistas, stationary trebuchets (has to kite monster into the range of it), build fortifications for +AC and resists.
Needs wood to build most of em .. has to collect the wooden weapons for building.

And maybe can also build screw pumps and pipes that can be used to move lava and water around the map? ;)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 11:04

Grimm wrote:You can disintegrate Beogh idols and hear a scream. Not sure if there are any game effects though.

There is if you worship Beogh. He doesn't like it if you blast his idols.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 12:16

Ring of see things and seethingitis. When you have one, you see squirrels, birds and developers running around chatting and making hints. They disappear whenever they become adjacent to anything offensive and do not collide with anything and anyone, as well as cannot be targeted with Haunt. Enemies cannot see or attack them, and you hardly can direct them. You have a chance of summoning some imaginary things instead of rats and imps whenever you cast a level 1 or 2 Summoning spell.
Basically it could be something like "sense surroundings" mutation, but for loot and enemies. Seethingitis 1 has a chance of giving a false hint.

Code:
Your imaginary Dpeg shudders, points somewhere and disappears!
You suddenly sense a presence of a powerful monster nearby.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

The Verse flows throughout Aquaria...
Through each ripple and wave...
Through every living being...
The Verse binds us all as one.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 16:11

Jeremiah wrote:
MonorailCat wrote:An Engineer Class. Can build ballistas, stationary trebuchets (has to kite monster into the range of it), build fortifications for +AC and resists.

And maybe can also build screw pumps and pipes that can be used to move lava and water around the map? ;)

Crawlcraft! Or Minecrawl.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 16:38

Heh, I was thinking more of the TF2 Engineer...
Eee-rectin' a fountain! Teleport trap goin' up! Buildin' an oklob plant!
The Ed draws near! What dost thou deaux?

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 25th June 2011, 16:52

No, let's make Evil Dungeon Genius. Build traps, gold storages, hire and train minions and henchmen.
If you find any mistakes or typos in my post, feel free to PM me about it. Thanks in advance!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 02:48

Dungeon Keeper 2 was fun. Would be fun to play Crawl as the dungeon, slaughtering characters ad libitum.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 04:52

Would it be hard to merge Dwarf Fortress and DC?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 05:08

Dwarf Soup?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 06:07

Doesn't DF have an adventure mode?

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 26th June 2011, 10:18

Grimm wrote:Dungeon Keeper 2 was fun. Would be fun to play Crawl as the dungeon, slaughtering characters ad libitum.

Design a sprint map and watch other players die in it.
PreviousNext

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner