Eating the Flesh of Corpses

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 19:24

Eating the Flesh of Corpses

It always says for certain characters that eating raw flesh is disgusting so why don't we add the ability to use sticks for fire and cook the corpses? Sticks to snakes uses clubs, arrows, and other wood. Plus you have spells to burn things. So how about the ability to make a fire to cook your corpses with the drawback that monsters on the level that you're on will notice you and come attack? i would be very happy to cook my meat instead of always eating it raw. Furthermore, cooked meat can possibly fill faster. As raw meat is somewhat unfulfilling, cooked meat can fill the same as the steaks we currently have. Really hope this post gets some great attention. It would improve the game significantly for people like me :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 19:34

Re: Eating the Flesh of Corpses

https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ng:wont_do

This is a list of often-suggested concepts that will deliberately never be designed for various reasons.

Cooking skill
Would probably just complicate things. Would really only be worth considering for whimsy, not as an actually useful skill.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 19:49

I mentioned some ways above that could make it an actual useful skill. More filling at the least..
As a note, things are already complicated, and I like it that way. I see no issue with adding more beneficial skills.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 19:56

nymphy83 wrote:I mentioned some ways above that could make it an actual useful skill. More filling at the least..
As a note, things are already complicated, and I like it that way. I see no issue with adding more beneficial skills.

The issue with things that are beneficial and tedious is that optimal play might require doing them, which makes playing optimally more tedious. People like playing optimally and don't like tedious things so they could very well end up making crawl less fun for those people. Food is fiddly enough as it is.

Maybe you can add lua to your rcfile to print "You cook the meat with your pocket grill" every time you butcher a corpse.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 19:59

Its not a requirement now, and it wouldn't have to be then. Its just an added benefit if you feel like it. If you don't feel like it, you can still eat raw, gross flesh.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 20:06

Won't happen. We also don't bother with opening doors, underwear or taking a pee. It's a game, not a simulator. (You could argue that the raw flesh message is simulator-style, but it does have slight gameplay relevance. However, if pressed, I'd rather remove the message than even think about cooking.)

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 20:07

Crawl is not one of those games where you can bake bread, catch fish, roast it on a campfire, go to a library and read some lore books, buy a nice house*, pin some trophies to walls, marry a nice elven girl, have kids, live long and fulfilling life and silly stuff like that.

Crawl is a game where you go into a dungeon and kill dudes, and if you hunger you eat those dudes raw, because every turn spent making food is a turn you are not killing dudes and we can't have that, can we?

*Admittedly, some people make really elaborate stashes.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 2
dck, Neon

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 20:10

I wasn't asking about fishing and owning houses. You're making this extremely more elaborate than I am. Both of you are acting like I want a simulator when I'm only asking for the 1 skill. I don't care about all the other skills. I certainly don't know of any game that you use a skill to go pee....

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 20:14

Still waiting for a faithful FATAL-based CRPG/roguelike.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
Neon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 21:34

You should familiarize yourself with the design section of the manual, in particular the "major design goals" and "minor design goals." Realism appears on neither, but avoidance of grinding ("just an added benefit if you feel like it") is. If you enjoy grinding, that's fine! But Crawl is for people who don't want that.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 21:39

nymphy83 wrote:I wasn't asking about fishing and owning houses. You're making this extremely more elaborate than I am. Both of you are acting like I want a simulator when I'm only asking for the 1 skill. I don't care about all the other skills. I certainly don't know of any game that you use a skill to go pee....

He was exaggerating to make a point, I think.

Anyway, it's been pretty well established that cooking isn't being added, and the reasons given are valid, but just to reitterate:
1) you have better uses for your wooden items
2) if cooking makes it more nutritious, it becomes optimal play
3) If cooking _doesn't_ make it more nutritious, it becomes a time-waste.
4) doesn't make sense anyway. fire and cooking meat would attract monsters, so you wouldn't have time to cook and eat unless you find a completely safe place.

your inability to understand doesn't change the facts, and I think Sar was trying to show that. I like the idea of changing your own options to say it's cooked.
The above post is for entertainment purposes only. If you think anything I ever say is backed by fact, or if you cite things I've said in any argument ever, you are insane.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 22:27

nymphy83 wrote:It would improve the game significantly for people like me :)

How exactly? This is rethorical, just think about it. This is on the won't do list, which you would have known if you had bothered to read the GDD forum rules.
Thread locked.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Game Design Discussion