Prompt at level up

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 06:04

Prompt at level up

I mainly write this small suggestion because I chose strength on level up - the attribute I need the least.
I waited pressing 's' for some time, and accidentally I pressed it once more.

Would it be hard to give a "more" prompt (that can only be skipped with space or something) on level up, especially when there's an attribute question?

Also, maybe I'm not a very careful player, but I missed labyrinths because I failed to notice the first messages when I climb down. I would like to see a "more" prompt at the first labirint message also - but maybe just an option, because I think other players are much more careful and may be annoyed.

I know that it's always advised to play more carefully, but when you are in a relatively safe area (like I was in Lair 2 with a higher level character this time, I went to Lair a little late) I usually skip some messages and only watch the monster list.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 07:24

Re: Prompt at level up

force_more_message = interdimensional caravan
force_more_message = distant snort

Put those in your init.txt to get a prompt when you enter a floor with a bazaar or labyrinth. I have a ton of similar things in my config to make me slow down or notice when bad stuff is happening. I'm not sure if it's possible to get a prompt before the choice of which stat to pick on level up at the moment, though.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 07:53

my .crawlrc's full of them too, but it's taken me months to get there, a slightly infuriating incident at a time.

i don't know what's the consensus on this, but i think the --more-- prompts should be enabled by default for pretty much anything meaningful, and you should mess with the config files if you want to disable them.
Wins: DDBe (3 runes, morgue file)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 08:24

Thank you very much - these settings are very useful, I copied them from your config :-)

Altough I was more disappointed by the bad attribute choosing than missing the labyrinth, so maybe that could be changed. Not that it matters now - my character is dead of course :-)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 09:26

sanka wrote:I mainly write this small suggestion because I chose strength on level up - the attribute I need the least.
I waited pressing 's' for some time, and accidentally I pressed it once more.

Would it be hard to give a "more" prompt (that can only be skipped with space or something) on level up, especially when there's an attribute question?

Generally, it's never a good idea to lean on keys. If the long wait of '5' is too long, you can also use the repeat ('0') command to repeat a given command a specific number of times. Adding -more- prompts before any normal prompt would be immensely annoying. I believe the -More- prompt currently (in 0.8 trunk) only can be cleared by Space, which already brought in complaints.

Also, maybe I'm not a very careful player, but I missed labyrinths because I failed to notice the first messages when I climb down. I would like to see a "more" prompt at the first labirint message also - but maybe just an option, because I think other players are much more careful and may be annoyed.

Marvin already answered this, and I'll just add that the messages for both bazaars and labyrinths will trigger -More- prompts in 0.8 by default.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 5th April 2011, 12:29

Marvin already answered this, and I'll just add that the messages for both bazaars and labyrinths will trigger -More- prompts in 0.8 by default.

I noticed this tonight. It's great, thanks for adding it.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 02:03

I would love to see a -MORE- prompt when Xom switches your weapon with the enemy's.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 02:16

force_more_message = Xom decides to rearrange the pieces.
force_more_message = "First here, now there."
force_more_message = "This might be better!"

That should do it (it also catches instances when he swaps you with a monster though, since they use the same speech). Personally, I have a prompt for every god message when worshipping Xom:

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
force_more_message = god:
: end

For this message the author Kate has received thanks: 2
mageykun, seth

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 07:49

if i'm allowed a tiny little bit of hijacking... i learnt recently about show_real_turns, which is pretty great, but since some update it doesn't show the cost of your last action anymore. is that normal?

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 08:03

absolutego wrote:if i'm allowed a tiny little bit of hijacking... i learnt recently about show_real_turns, which is pretty great, but since some update it doesn't show the cost of your last action anymore. is that normal?

It still works the same, but the option has been renamed to show_game_turns.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 6th April 2011, 08:32

that's what i thought. thanks!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 22nd April 2011, 10:18

jpeg wrote:Generally, it's never a good idea to lean on keys. If the long wait of '5' is too long, you can also use the repeat ('0') command to repeat a given command a specific number of times. Adding -more- prompts before any normal prompt would be immensely annoying. I believe the -More- prompt currently (in 0.8 trunk) only can be cleared by Space, which already brought in complaints.

Thanks for your reply. Just for your information, I do not think that that was the problem here - I rarely lean on keys and I have already learned the repeated rest commands.

What happened exactly, that I waited for a monster to show up, pressing 's'. I watched the - otherwise very useful and excellent - monster list, and the map. Unfortunately, the monster died out of the screen, and I leveled up - nothing changed on the map or on the monster list, and I missed the message. (Of course that was my error.)

I really know that my problem is marginal, so I don't mind if it won't be addressed, but I thought I will bring it up. I do not know who are annoyed by the fact that more prompts can only be cleared by Space, but I think thats fine - the very purpose of the prompt is to NOT skip it accidentally. But maybe that can be an option too - which keys clear more prompts. Space as the default is fine I think.

Also, I think all more prompts should be optional, so that would solve the "annoying" part - if somebody does not like them, she can turn them off. I think a lot of them can be turned on by default, because they are likely to be useful for beginners, and advanced players just know how to edit the option file.

jpeg wrote:Marvin already answered this, and I'll just add that the messages for both bazaars and labyrinths will trigger -More- prompts in 0.8 by default.

Yes, you are absolutely right - I've just realized that I can create more prompts on parts of text. Thank you for making them default.

Return to Technical Support