Proposal: Jewellery God

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 15:16

Proposal: Jewellery God

Jovillio the Jeweler: A God with an infinite love of rings, amulets, and precious metals, especially gold. He doesn't care much for what happens in the dungeon, only interested in the happiness of his customers and/or worshippers. Despite his fair and friendly dealing, years of players just worshipping him for some quick smelting and identification only to leave for Vehumet and Trog have made him wary. As such, his wrath is passive, yet aggressive. On the other hand, worshippers will gain piety quite fast with him, as loyalty between jeweler and customer is one of the deepest bonds in the dungeon in his opinion. Many Octopodes enjoy the gifted rings.

Appreciates: Killing any enemy while wearing at least one piece of jewellery.
Deprecates: Abandoning him.

Piety Level - : Amateur Jeweler : No new abilities.
Piety Level * : Sapphire Slinger : Identify - Jovillio automatically identifies all rings and amulets.
Piety Level ** : Ruby Wrecker : Smelt - 0% - By praying over a ring or amulet, Jovillio will destroy it and grant you 100 coins in return.
Piety Level *** : Topaz Warrior : No new abilities.
Piety Level **** : Bronze Basher : Craft - 0% - Jovillio will let you choose two rings or amulets, destroy them, and give you a random ring or amulet from a pool of 'good' jewellery.
Piety Level ***** : Silver Slasher : Will gift random rings/amulets at a slow pace.
Piety Level ****** : Gilded Grand Champion : No new abilities.

Punishments: Jovillio will steal all of your gold and jewelry, and permanently close your amulet & ring slots.
Last edited by Klown on Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 16:46, edited 4 times in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 15:21

Re: Proposal: Jewellery God

You may want to read a certain tavern classic

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 16:58

The * ability is essentially just what Ashenzari does, the ** ability is just selling to shops but with a different name, and the other two abilities are just variations on item gifts, and item gifts aren't really interesting. What's the draw for this god? What game-changing ability would one want this god for?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 18:02

As I see it, the proposal tries to turn jewellery into a resouce. However, I believe that this is not a very good proposition. This is substantiated by the utter lack of tactical effects.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 18:36

Perhaps though, maybe we should consider having okuwaru gift Felids and octopodes rings and amulets.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

For this message the author Tiktacy has received thanks:
earLOBe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 18:59

I think OP wants to have a god for Op.

Edit. Pun not intended.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 19:57

I seem to remember Okawaru gifting rings in, like, 0.8? Am I just imagining things?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 20:31

How about instead of "jovillio, the jewellery" we call him "slickback, the pimpin' "
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 22:49

Sar wrote:I seem to remember Okawaru gifting rings in, like, 0.8? Am I just imagining things?

I've been around since 0.6 and don't recall this happening during that period. Also Oka didn't give rings in the original Linley's Crawl (at least in the version I was playing).

So yes to the latter question.

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 22:54

Thanks. Well, maybe it was a dream then.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:03

If my vague memories of conversations in other threads are correct, there's some ambient ambivalence even about the god gifting we already have. Keeping a lot of the benefit of a god after leaving can be goofy, and in practice the gifting is the same as finding some semi-good floor loot. It's kind of like having a god of litter that makes more crap appear on the floor -- not the most interesting mechanic.
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:10

Igxfl wrote:If my vague memories of conversations in other threads are correct, there's some ambient ambivalence even about the god gifting we already have. Keeping a lot of the benefit of a god after leaving can be goofy, and in practice the gifting is the same as finding some semi-good floor loot. It's kind of like having a god of litter that makes more crap appear on the floor -- not the most interesting mechanic.

Then you keep the two +7+7 rings of slaying, sell the rest for $, and buy those potions of experience you always wanted. :mrgreen:

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:15

$2500 {god gift}
Wins: DsWz(6), DDNe(4), HuIE(5), HuFE(4), MiBe(3)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 26th November 2013, 23:21

Klown wrote:Then you keep the two +7+7 rings of slaying, sell the rest for $, and buy those potions of experience you always wanted. :mrgreen:

no selling

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 00:00

nicolae wrote:
Klown wrote:Then you keep the two +7+7 rings of slaying, sell the rest for $, and buy those potions of experience you always wanted. :mrgreen:

no selling

Smelt :P

Alrighty though. Jovillio is universally disliked. :roll:

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 00:05

Igxfl wrote:If my vague memories of conversations in other threads are correct, there's some ambient ambivalence even about the god gifting we already have. Keeping a lot of the benefit of a god after leaving can be goofy, and in practice the gifting is the same as finding some semi-good floor loot. It's kind of like having a god of litter that makes more crap appear on the floor -- not the most interesting mechanic.
It's true! Not all developers are particularly unhappy about god gifts, but I am. It's not a pressing concern, and not a problem at all for some kinds of gifts, but armour pieces, weapons and books are among them. Jewellery would be, too.

You can judge yourself: Vehumet used to gift books, but now gifts spells. I think that's an improvement but opinions will obviously differ. Similar thinking also gave me this idea about Okawaru...

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 27th November 2013, 10:43

Well, mutation affecting gods also "gift" permanent things (and multiple times for some), and those are alright...

Return to Game Design Discussion