turning rods into snakes

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:19

Re: turning rods into snakes

You can autopickup anything with the right config file settings, there's just no option for weapons on the '\' menu. I'm not sure why it's ok to turn arrows into snakes but turning, say, spears into snakes is different.

You'd still need a way to tell S2S to tell which stack of arrows to use. Would getting prompted to pick a stack each time you have vanilla and branded arrows in your inventory be an improvement over wielding the stack you want to use?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:31

I reverted the change.

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:32

BlackSheep wrote:You'd still need a way to tell S2S to tell which stack of arrows to use. Would getting prompted to pick a stack each time you have vanilla and branded arrows in your inventory be an improvement over wielding the stack you want to use?

I think so, yes. Being prompted for a stack takes only a single keypress. Swapping for arrows is a minimum of 2 presses of ' (I assume you don't walk around holding arrows). And it would be even more presses if you have, as you say, branded arrows that you may want to switch to.

FWIW, I remember my experience with S2S is as follows. The first time I cast it, I got the "your hands feel slithery" message. Then I figured out that I needed to wield those arrows in inventory. It took longer still to figure out that I can transmute things other than arrows. YMMV of course.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:33

I also like the restrictions created by wielding s2s fodder; for tm in particular it means you can't just cast while in forms (haha I'll go spider form and run away trailing adders).
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:33

Maybe it should use arrows you have quivered? You'll have some problems with throwing, though...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:34

DracheReborn wrote:I think so, yes. Being prompted for a stack takes only a single keypress. Swapping for arrows is a minimum of 2 presses of ' (I assume you don't walk around holding arrows). And it would be even more presses if you have, as you say, branded arrows that you may want to switch to.

The problem is when you want to cast it many times in a row, though I suppose ` works for that purpose.

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
BlackSheep

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:48

Note that being prompted for what to transform from your inventory each time negates the problem of accidentally transforming a rod or weapon altogether by itself (Since you're being prompted you have to manually select what you want to transform) and actually slightly reduces tedium, (four keypresses: w, (item), z (S2S) become three: z, S2S, (item))

However simply prompting for what stack/inventory item to transform also constitutes an upgrade for the spell (Since you don't have to spend the turn wielding whatever it is you want to snakeify, presuming you aren't already) which might be fine, but also might need balancing.

Personally I like being able to snakeify non-stackables, I'd actually like it if I could snakify even more things like wands, bolts etc.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:57

neil wrote:I reverted the change.

Figures, I just finished this:
  Code:
# Autoinscribe clubs +S for Sticks to Snakes
:if you.spells("Sticks to Snakes") then
autoinscribe += club:+S
autoinscribe += spear:+S
:end

At least the structure is useful for other purposes.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
neil

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 20:48

BlackSheep wrote:
neil wrote:I reverted the change.

Figures, I just finished this:
At least the structure is useful for other purposes.

Sorry about that; it wasn't my intent to make you waste your time. Perhaps I'm letting the perfect be the enemy of the good, but some of the complaints were valid, and I don't want to force people to use non-default options to make a spell not annoying to themselves. We'll come up with a better solution (and some are being discussed here and in ##crawl-dev).

As you said, your code is useful for other things, though sadly is only checked on game load. Perhaps we should make a hook for autoinscription, similar to ch_force_autopickup.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 20:50

It's not a problem, truly. And an autoincription hook sounds like a good idea.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 16:48

That being said, I DO think he had a point somewhere in all the anger about it being a bit much prompting you for every weapon. That's a standard use for the spell,

Not just a standard use. The defining use, in some respects.

The part of the game where Sticks to Snakes is most useful is when the player is XL2, and not yet able to memorise Spider Form. During this period, the player does not yet have the mana reserves to create significant numbers of snakes (the only advantage of snaking arrows). Similarly, his spellpower is very low, meaning that he will most likely only create the weakest snake possible, meaning arrows will produce ball pythons and weapons will produce adders. At this stage of the game (the most important stage as far as Sticks to Snakes is concerned) you should always cast Sticks to Snakes with weapons, unless you have no other choice but to use ammunition.

Why do you always have to be so aggressive?

How would you feel if someone made a thread suggesting that the game ask for confirmation every time Conjure Flame is cast? After all, maybe they accidentally pressed the wrong key, and now Mennas is going to kill them, all because the spell-casting interface didn't prevent the player from making that mistake. And how would you feel if one of the devs actually went and implemented it, despite arguments to the contrary? Because that is exactly how I felt. Apart from the practical annoyance, there is the basic principle that such an idea should not even be considered an option by the devteam.

If we are concerned with losing GSC to S2S, it could be useful to check character species.

No it couldn't. Snaking giant clubs guarantees a water moccasin at minimum, which means that any race capable of doing so wants to do so as often as possible. Furthermore the overwhelming likelihood is that you only want ONE giant spiked club and the rest are floor trash whether you have s2s or not.

whining

Whining was the only reason this thread was created in the first place, in case you people forgot.

it is in the interest of EVERYONE that the dev team WANTS to read GDD, and unproductive ad homs threaten that.

No it's not. This thread DIRECTLY RESULTED in Transmuter becoming practically unplayable for me, until I looked through the options guide to figure out how to make my basic cast-this-on-everything spell work again, and then the game was still ugly for me to look at for the rest of the day. From my perspective, this thread has done nothing but harm.

Similarly the best things to happen in recent crawl, like the new conjurer book, happened entirely without (or in gargoyle's case, despite) tavern's "help". The sad part is that tavern's quality standards are so low that my first reaction to the thread title (without even reading the thread) was to say on ##crawl "oh no s2s is about to get ruined :(". And I was right.

and into wrote:Don't sweat it, I'm sure your level-headed arguments and irresistible charm will convince the developers to revert this change you didn't like.

A lot of the energy people are wasting on being angry would be better spent frankly (but rationally) discussing any problems you have with the devs.

My level-headed arguments were completely ignored in favour of a knee-jerk implementation of the worst possible solution to the perceived problem (despite the devs' insistence that they "don't just throw things in without thinking about them"). On the other hand exploding and getting myself banned actually provided results. So please forgive me if I disagree with your theory of how discussions on tavern usually go.

In general people need to LIGHTEN UP about changes to Trunk. It is *experimental*.

It would be much easier to do that if it weren't for the fact that Stable looks just as unfinished and experimental as Trunk.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 16:58

It's important to remember that the devs, the people that start threads here and all the people writing responses are, in fact, people. Nobody likes being yelled at, and it's a rare individual who'll calmly parse through vitriolic screed for a kernel of truth, and then ignore the sarcasm and insults in order to move the conversation forward. It *is* possible to argue passionately about a subject without being insulting.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
rebthor

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 17:14

Volteccer_Jack wrote:On the other hand exploding and getting myself banned actually provided results.

Actually neil said he hadn't seen the reactions to his commit in this thread when he reverted it. So no it didn't.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 17:57

BlackSheep wrote:It's important to remember that the devs, the people that start threads here and all the people writing responses are, in fact, people. Nobody likes being yelled at, and it's a rare individual who'll calmly parse through vitriolic screed for a kernel of truth, and then ignore the sarcasm and insults in order to move the conversation forward. It *is* possible to argue passionately about a subject without being insulting.

It's not that V_J doesn't have valid points and in fact I agree with almost all of them. As my father is wont to say, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."

Please never forget that the developers of this game are putting in hours and hours of their time for gratis and libre because they like and enjoy the game too. There are lots of things I don't like about crawl and as a matter of fact, I've been playing mostly .12 instead of trunk because I don't like some of the changes that have been made. I did the same thing, albeit locally, when .6 came out until .8 or .9.

I debated about myself for this part and it might get me modded but whatever. Because DC:SS is FOSS, it's put up or shut up. If you think you can do a better job, do it! If the devs don't like and accept your patches, fork them.

And on topic, I think the easiest way to prevent StS on rods is not to make them wooden. It's not like it's big loss in the grand scheme of things.

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 18:17

Volteccer_Jack wrote:How would you feel if someone made a thread suggesting that the game ask for confirmation every time Conjure Flame is cast? After all, maybe they accidentally pressed the wrong key, and now Mennas is going to kill them, all because the spell-casting interface didn't prevent the player from making that mistake. And how would you feel if one of the devs actually went and implemented it, despite arguments to the contrary? Because that is exactly how I felt.

Personally I wouldn't get very angry, and if I did I certainly wouldn't post invective on the internet towards the people who did it, and if I did I certainly wouldn't try to justify post-hoc the fact that I acted like an asshole

but that's just me I guess

For this message the author One-Eyed Jack has received thanks:
njvack

Dis Charger

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 18:23

Volteccer_Jack wrote:How would you feel if someone made a thread suggesting that the game ask for confirmation every time Conjure Flame is cast?

um, the thread title is about rods

so
Volteccer_Jack wrote:DIRECTLY RESULTED

not exactly

Do you cast s2s on rods that often?(as if it's even possible)

and I already added the line from the first reply to my init.txt, so I'm sorry that this thread has resulted in upsetting you, while my problem has already been solved.

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 18:47

Volteccer_Jack: A bad fix to a minor problem was implemented for all of a handful of hours, worse bugs and whatnot have crept in for longer periods of time. I like to play Trunk usually too, I wasn't saying don't play Trunk, but by its nature it is more prone to buggy stuff (even if what happened here wasn't technically a bug). I don't think you presented level-headed arguments until now... You pretty much came out swinging as soon as someone suggested an (admittedly not well thought-out) fix that was implemented too hastily. It was very promptly removed when this was realized. Not exactly a strong case for Tavern's interfering with and impeding game development.

Good things are added to Crawl with and without Tavern's involvement, bad things are added to Crawl with and without Tavern's involvement. Either of us could pick examples one way or the other.

I've seen enough positive discussions on Tavern where an interesting but flawed proposal improved to something that *might* actually be put into the game, that I think having GDD actually be a forum for serious discussion of game design is a good thing, rather than just making it a wordier way to report bugs or whatever. (Though it is sometimes used that way, and that's fine too obviously.) Losing that because those actually responsible for the direction of the game become alienated or disillusioned is really bad for the game on many levels. It isn't like that happened here, of course, but there was a thread recently about a (by many accounts promising) developer who has taken an indefinite break, and it appears that was in part precipitated by misguided and hyperbolic Internet rage coming from people who (presumably) really enjoy and care about a game, which costs them nothing to play and exists solely because it is a labor of love.

It seems like several developers do keep an eye on GDD, and good ideas fleshed out here at least have a shot at finding their way into the game. Even if a lot of the ideas floated end up being unworkable, or not worth doing, or just plain bad—that's *usually* recognized and nothing is even implemented. An occasional exception does not invalidate the general trend.

For this message the author and into has received thanks:
galehar

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 19:13

Now I want there to be a rod that just contains the spell Sticks to Snakes.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
and into

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 20:27

Why do people still read things said by volteccer jack? He has no notion of nuance or subtlety, craps all over ##crawl, and rarely contributes anything worthwhile. Please ignore him. I'm not trying to be mean here its just how it looks from above, I think he may have a serious issue with his ability to communicate in general.
Last edited by johlstei on Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 20:45

rebthor wrote:If the devs don't like and accept your patches, fork them.

Fork you! :lol:

Amnesiac wrote:and I already added the line from the first reply to my init.txt, so I'm sorry that this thread has resulted in upsetting you, while my problem has already been solved.

Haha, right. This thread should have been exactly 3 post long.

johlstei wrote:Why do people still read things said by volteccer jack? He has notion notion of nuance or subtlety, craps all over ##crawl, and rarely contributes anything worthwhile. Please ignore him. I'm not trying to be mean here its just how it looks from above, I think he may have a serious issue with his ability to communicate in general.

You're absolutely right. I should have just ignored him or moderated him. I won't make the same mistake twice. Case closed.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 21:23

Lasty wrote:Now I want there to be a rod that just contains the spell Sticks to Snakes.

It would be a nice temporary addition next April 1st.... However, the spell from this rod should specifically be called "Stick to Snake." :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 22:19

How about auto-inscription of !D on stick-items when you first swing/fire/evoke them (and have sticks to snakes memorized)?
Previous

Return to Game Design Discussion