Spell durations (was: Best Cheibriados Race_

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th June 2013, 23:50

Spell durations (was: Best Cheibriados Race_

By support I suppose I should have said benefits. Improves your casting (necromancy power booster and hungerless spells). You can cast in any form, of course. Ice form gives ac and spider gives speed, so they benefit your character, I just don't think they really benefit casting. Regardless, you're right they are useful. The main transmuter forms, blade hands and statue form, both are bad for heavy casters, and that's what I was trying to get across.

Also I agree that appendage doesn't exist.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 07:53

Re: Best Cheibriados Race

What is wrong with appendage? It is a good spell in the early game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 08:50

Yeah, appendage increases your damage output in the early game, not much, but still better than nothing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 10:51

the problem is appendage is a level 1 spell that you want to cast in every fight
this is slightly mitigated by the fact that eventually it does nothing, but it's still really annoying to do that
in addition you can scum it for your preferred aux, though this is less important than it used to be now that it both no longer gives claws and talons are slightly better than they used to be

(if you read my posts you should know that I very rarely complain about spells for being too weak)

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
rebthor

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 20:08

Really short buffs like this would probably be more bearable to use if their 'duration' were a set number of successful applications than a set number of turns. That might also prevent some brand spells from scaling so well with xl, as later on you will be getting more applications per aut.
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 20:19

mikee wrote:Really short buffs like this would probably be more bearable to use if their 'duration' were a set number of successful applications than a set number of turns. That might also prevent some brand spells from scaling so well with xl, as later on you will be getting more applications per aut.

I think it would be a no brainer to cast such spell after every fight. Now you have to choose whether you want to cast the spell or attack/retreat provided the monster noticed you.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 20:33

Do you find that every monster that notices you is suddenly adjacent to you?
mikee_ has won 166 times in 396 games (41.92%): 4xDSFi 4xMDFi 3xDDCK 3xDDEE 3xHOPr 2xDDHe 2xDDNe 2xDSBe 2xKeAE 2xMfCr 2xMfSt 2xMiAr 2xMiBe 2xNaTm 1xCeAr 1xCeAs 1xCeBe 1xCeEn 1xCeFE 1xCePa 1xCeTm 1xCeWz 1xDDAs 1xDDCr 1xDDHu 1xDDTm 1xDENe 1xDEWz

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 20:43

No, of course. But sometimes you don't have time to cast the spell. With unlimited duration you will always cast it whenever possible.

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 20th June 2013, 21:30

You should pretty much always have time to cast the spell against monsters the same (or slower) than you.

1: If the monster is 1 space away from you, make that not be true anymore (using stairs or whatever).

2: If the monster is more than one space from you, cast the spell or rest for more MP. If you haven't cast the spell, goto 1.

3: You've cast the spell!

Edit: this is why crate said it was annoying
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tomb Titivator

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 04:34

njvack wrote:You should pretty much always have time to cast the spell against monsters the same (or slower) than you.

1: If the monster is 1 space away from you, make that not be true anymore (using stairs or whatever).

2: If the monster is more than one space from you, cast the spell or rest for more MP. If you haven't cast the spell, goto 1.

3: You've cast the spell!

Edit: this is why crate said it was annoying

There are still situations in which you need to decide whether to cast a buff, move, or attack (*taur packs come to mind), so Sandman does have a valid point.

With that said, keeping up buffs is really monotonous and I'd be for anything that removes the tedium which includes duration by application.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 05:51

The same problem applies to Reflect Missiles, Deflect Missiles, Necromutation, Stone Skin, Ozocubu's Armour etc. I always have these spells on and immediately recast them when they are about to expire so they are even more annoying. Do we want to make them permanent too???

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 12:26

Sandman25 wrote:The same problem applies to Reflect Missiles, Deflect Missiles, Necromutation, Stone Skin, Ozocubu's Armour etc. I always have these spells on and immediately recast them when they are about to expire so they are even more annoying. Do we want to make them permanent too???
Yes. Here's the dev wiki page on the subject.
On IRC my nick is reaverb. I play online under the name reaver, though.

For this message the author reaver has received thanks:
Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 12:44

bobross419 wrote:There are still situations in which you need to decide whether to cast a buff, move, or attack (*taur packs come to mind), so Sandman does have a valid point.

If you're casting appendage to fight *taur packs... um, don't.

You also probably don't want to spend turns trying to appendage up with Grinder or Sigmund in LoS. So don't always apply those rules; just do it in 95% of the early game encounters where hobgoblins and gnolls can kill you.

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 14:29

njvack wrote:
bobross419 wrote:There are still situations in which you need to decide whether to cast a buff, move, or attack (*taur packs come to mind), so Sandman does have a valid point.

If you're casting appendage to fight *taur packs... um, don't.

You also probably don't want to spend turns trying to appendage up with Grinder or Sigmund in LoS. So don't always apply those rules; just do it in 95% of the early game encounters where hobgoblins and gnolls can kill you.

No, you're missing at least part of crate's point and that is as a Tm there is almost no point that you do not want beastly appendage up, it's not just the early game. What stops people from using it later on is other Tm spells and it being annoying to have to cast constantly.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 21st June 2013, 15:45

Sandman25 wrote:The same problem applies to Reflect Missiles, Deflect Missiles, Necromutation, Stone Skin, Ozocubu's Armour etc. I always have these spells on and immediately recast them when they are about to expire so they are even more annoying. Do we want to make them permanent too???

in fact you have discovered that crawl's buffs are in general not well designed!

charms is by a lot my least favourite magic school, but it's still the one i train basically every game

For this message the author crate has received thanks:
bobross419

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 22nd June 2013, 02:57

Re: Spell durations (was: Best Cheibriados Race_

Once I have spider form castable I'm pretty much done with appendage. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice