Hexes discussion

Although the central place for design discussion is ##crawl-dev on freenode, some may find it helpful to discuss requests and suggestions here first.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 15:07

Hexes discussion

Personally I love the hexes/charms split. I have to say that hexes seems to be the school with the most potential to open up a new style of play, that of debuffing enemies.

I played around a bit with enchanters and combining slow with Corona, felt so fresh, weakening my enemies instead of buffing myself. Nothing like bashing a slowed easy to hit snake in with a huge club.

What really needs to be done is add more irresistible spells to make it more consistent.
For example will making slow irresistible make it over powered? Haste has a similar effect but effects all creatures in the area of effect and is irresistible.
How about reducing slow effectivness to 1.5 (as was done with haste) and making it irresistible. (with a low duration that increases with spell power)
Unlike confuse, slow doesn't break the game if it always works and it still costs a turn to cast it.

Other suggestions for irresistible spells:
Reduce enemies accuracy.
Reduce enemies melee damage.
Give an enemy a chance to fumble when casting spells.
Reduce an enemies resistance by one.
Enemy drops his weapon.
Maybe even animating the enemies weapon against him (a level 5 Tukima spell.)

these will provide a completely different type of play style, of weakening dangerous enemies, before you engage. Adding some more tactical options for hybrid casters.

They also fit in with the idea of curses.

Add your ideas...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 17:51

Re: Hexes discussion

tazoz wrote:How about reducing slow effectivness to 1.5 (as was done with haste)

didn't this already happen

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 18:11

MrMisterMonkey wrote:
tazoz wrote:How about reducing slow effectivness to 1.5 (as was done with haste)

didn't this already happen

Why would any sane person make Slow 1.5 like haste ? Haste improves your speed compared to all monsters, while Slow improves your speed only compared to one monster. And it needs a MR check, and the target must not be immune. No amount of spell power will make it work on a greater naga, while Haste will help against Guardian Naga.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 15th March 2011, 18:45

Maybe even animating the enemies weapon against him (a level 5 Tukima spell.)

That's too much. But... if the spell only makes the weapon attack the owner for one or two turns, it will be okay, I guess. So the weapon isn't fully animated like Tukima's Dance.

hxy

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 16th March 2011, 01:19

sounds like a good method to disarm the enemy :)

Return to Game Design Discussion