Questions that are nagging me

Ask fellow adventurers how to stay alive in the deep, dark, dangerous dungeon below, or share your own accumulated wisdom.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 11:26

Questions that are nagging me

Hello
There are some questions nagging at me for a real long time.I hope somebody can answer some of them :)

1)Is there a huge difference between a vampire and a mummy,except the slower healing rate?a bloodless vamp has rn+++,rc++,better attitudes and no rf-
2)come to think of it,is there a huge difference between a deep dwarf and a bloodless vamp?the vamp gets hungerless casting and when in dire need of healing,he can consume a blood bottle for some hp.
3)is dexterity any good for non stealth chars who arent going to train dodging?does it affect ranged combat damage?
4)does strength increase base damage?
5)is it possible to acquire a rune in the beginning as an abyssal knight?(with the new abyss system and stuff,i once got an artifact glaive right at d1 lol)
6)is shatter inferior to tornado?how are they best used?
7)is there a way to make macros stop working when health is too low(like the tab key)
8)is there any user created content that i can add to crawl,and if yes,can you recommend any sites?

thanks!~

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 11:50

Re: Questions that are nagging me

1)Mummies can't use potions, but they have self-restoration and necromancy boosts.
2)Deep Dwarves have damage shaving and can use good gods.
3)Yes, dex helps bows and slings. I don't think it effects crossbows.
4)Strength affects weapon damage, but base damage is base damage.
5)
6)I understand shatter is good for breaking walls, tornado is good for killing stuff. The only time I got shatter castable, everything tough enough to use it on could fly.
7)lua
8)Isn't nearly all of crawl user created content? How much of Linley's original is left?

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
gorbeh

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 12:25

1) It's not "slower" healing rate. It's "NO" healing at bloodless. This is what establishes the big difference between a mummy and a bloodless vampire.

2) Deep dwarf has 2 huge differences: innate damage reduction and recharge wands.

3) Well, doors are more likely to creak at low Dex. It does affect ranged combat damage some, but as always: Int is always superior unless you plan to stick with Trog the entire game and never venture into Int drain infested areas.

4) No, and the bonus damage it does give really isn't worth raising Str for.

5) I don't see why not, except you'd have to go down 2 floors and face monsters that are calibrated for an XL:20-ish character.

6) They are far too different to meaningfully say one is 'inferior' to another. How they are to be used is a long answer - ask it again when I'm not doing bullet-point short answers.

8) With or without re-compiling? I once had a multiplayer roundrobin with a Touhou mod to crawl, which just changed tiles and the description text database.

For this message the author Psieye has received thanks:
gorbeh

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 12:45

preferably without recompiling,but with recompiling would be okay too,if the utilities needed are very small in size,because ive a very slow inet connection and downloading something big would take forever.
also,while its true vamps dont heal when bloodless,they can always consume a potion of blood when they need healing.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 12:50

Have you actually played a vampire for a significant portion of the game? And a mummy? And a deep dwarf? I suspect that you have not. Do it, and the differences will soon become very clear to you. If you don't want to do that then please stop telling people who have done it that there is no difference.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 13:02

gorbeh wrote:also,while its true vamps dont heal when bloodless,they can always consume a potion of blood when they need healing.

Blood rots. If you don't understand why this is a really big deal, you do not know how to milk a mummy.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 13:12

i played a vamp ee of makhleb who stayed bloodless most of the game and was constantly asking myself what the heck the main advantage of mummies and deep dwarves were.granted,he died,but see question.7)(lol).my experience is limited mostly to that one,so im sorry if i mentioned something wrong,no need to get touchy.

also,i would be immensly grateful for somebody referencing some links for question 8)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 13:37

jejorda2 wrote:6)I understand shatter is good for breaking walls, tornado is good for killing stuff. The only time I got shatter castable, everything tough enough to use it on could fly.

Shatter is also good for killing stuff, and at high spellpower, things that fly still die to it, aside from the toughest fliers (fiends, pan lords, maybe some dragons). The main differences are 1) Shatter breaks walls and is spammable, whereas tornado hates being cast near too many walls and does damage over time (during which time you can spam something else), and 2) Shatter is full LOS, while Tornado is a growing portion of LOS that never hits full LOS.

Short version, they're both very good at what they do, and what they do isn't very similar.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 14:23

5. New Abyss can NOT place the rune in a chaos knight's starting Abyss. Just like old Abyss. See _abyss_create_items in abyss.cc.
7. "autofight_stop = 30". See options_guide.txt.
8. Uhh ... Crawl is open source. It is ALL user created content. You could check the tracker for vaults that were not accepted and add those to your game ... but there is probably a reason they were not accepted. There should be unaccepted patches too, but you will likely need to resolve some conflicts.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 14:30

autofight stop wont work for macros
about question 8) i meant user created content not related to the stone soup dev team.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 4th April 2013, 14:34

There's the Crawl Light fork. It is developed by dtsund, with a focus on simpler mechanics and a shorter game and letting the player choose the difficulty of the game. Might be worth checking out, I have heard good things about it.

For this message the author Galefury has received thanks:
gorbeh

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 5th April 2013, 17:04

gorbeh wrote:Hello
a bloodless vamp has better attitudes

Yeah man, mummies have real bad attitudes

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 5th April 2013, 20:12

Deep Dwarfs are able to tank a great deal more damage before going down than a bloodless vampire, and they start with a wand of healing.
These guys are good but I'm not sure why someone would compare them to a Vamp or mummy.

Bloodless vamps also get a pretty big boost to stealth, a nonleathal foodclock, and an amazing escape option.
Overall a very flexible character choice, able to do pretty much anything, but blood levels have to constantly be monitored.

Mummies have lower aptitudes, but that just means it takes longer for them to reach the highest levels.
They are a permanent Liche form without any of the micro management. And they have that from the start of the game.

All of these races are great choices although I prefer mummies. I enjoy abusing the lack of a food clock, but dont really want to deal with all the tedium of keeping necromutation up or blood management.

As far as UGC goes, most (if not all) of the good stuff is submitted to the game devs and they do us the favor of quality checking it.
Zot defense was one of the more popular mods, and now the base game includes it. But if you really want a link, this is probably the best place to look.
viewforum.php?f=19

Return to Dungeon Crawling Advice