[Tiles 0.12.2] Garbled graphics, broken game.

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 8th July 2013, 00:22

[Tiles 0.12.2] Garbled graphics, broken game.

Came back after a long absence online. Updated to new version of Stone Soup. Picked up and ran, everything seemed fine... until my mouse moved. As soon as my mouse moves anywhere, for any reason, I end up with a large quantity (read: All) graphics on the screen being replaced by flickering garbage. On the first occurence, this eventually ended in a lockup with garbage non-ascii characters displayed in the message log.

Further testing shows this also occurs immediately upon opening the first door in the Red Sonja Dungeon Sprint map. (Even without the mouse moving)

Last version I played was 0.9.1, which still works fine for me. It seems odd that I would have issues with the rather low-grade graphics in DCSS, when things like ToME run without flaws for me, so I can assume somehow something isn't set up right for my system. How do I go about (hopefully) fixing this?

OS is Windows XP, and this is the offline version, rather then the webtiles version.

Edit: Further testing shows that version 0.10.4 seems to function properly, and the glitched graphics begin in version 0.11.1
Slighty different screenshot from 11.1 if it makes a difference.

Edit: Corrected previously played version typo.
Edit: Attached screenshot of the glitch in 12.4.
DCSS glitched graphics.JPG
Example of graphics after mouse has moved
DCSS glitched graphics.JPG (86.58 KiB) Viewed 3608 times

Attached screenshot of the textual glitch in 11.1. Graphic glitch also occurs, and text occurs in 12.4, but is harder to replicate. Seems to bounce between the 2.
DCSS garbled text.JPG
11.1 garbled text. Alternates between this and the garbled graphics from alternate screenshot.
DCSS garbled text.JPG (79.17 KiB) Viewed 3590 times

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 03:11

Re: [Tiles 0.12.2] Garbled graphics, broken game.

I'm not sure but this might be related to: https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=7237

Of course you should try updating your graphics drivers too and installing all Windows updates.

Failing that, maybe the solution I suggested on that ticket could work - breaking the sprite sheets down into smaller parts.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 03:36

1. Split the tilesheets up more; how this split would work I'm not sure but for memory management purposes it would seem reasonable to have per-branch sheets for branch-native walls, floors, monsters; and then global sheets for stuff used everywhere. Some might need arbitrarily splitting up further but first we need to figure out exactly what size of tilesheet is triggering the bug.

That your solution? How does an end user go about doing that?

As for graphics drivers, I'm not sure I'm even SUPPORTED for an update anymore. It's an antiquated integrated graphics set in the Intel family. (Intel Extreme Graphics, according to the label...) And I'm a bit of a hardware moron. Assuming I COULD update it, how would one go about it?

As for windows, I might be able to update that, I know I'm on XP service pack 2, not sure how up to date it's own updates are, since we bought the computer quite some time ago.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 03:42

Lord Light wrote:
1. Split the tilesheets up more; how this split would work I'm not sure but for memory management purposes it would seem reasonable to have per-branch sheets for branch-native walls, floors, monsters; and then global sheets for stuff used everywhere. Some might need arbitrarily splitting up further but first we need to figure out exactly what size of tilesheet is triggering the bug.

That your solution? How does an end user go about doing that?

That's how we might eventually solve it in Crawl; I'm not suggesting you need to do this yourself.

Lord Light wrote:As for graphics drivers, I'm not sure I'm even SUPPORTED for an update anymore. It's an antiquated integrated graphics set in the Intel family. (Intel Extreme Graphics, according to the label...) And I'm a bit of a hardware moron. Assuming I COULD update it, how would one go about it?

If you go to the intel website you might be able to find the latest drivers for your chipset. Alternately you can try your laptop manufacturer's website, quite often they'll have updated versions of all the drivers for a specific laptop model.

Lord Light wrote:As for windows, I might be able to update that, I know I'm on XP service pack 2, not sure how up to date it's own updates are, since we bought the computer quite some time ago.

I would definitely recommend updating your windows files.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 03:48

Typing 'intel extreme graphics' into the search portion of the intel website brings up about 75 results. How do I find the exact chipset of my graphics on my computer? (Again, something of an idiot, not sure how I find out about this.)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 04:02

It's probably easier to search on your PC manufacturer's site; what make of computer is it? Hardware vendors quite often have bespoke versions of these kind of integrated chipset drivers so it's best to go directly to them first.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 04:04

Gateway, IIRC. But it's a desktop, not a laptop. Not sure what model of a Gateway computer it would be though...

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 9th July 2013, 04:09

Well here you go: http://support.gateway.com/product/?cmpid=topnav, the model number is normally written somewhere on the computer, or you could contact Gateway tech support for more help. Then find your desktop in the list and they should have all the drivers and instructions on what to do with them.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2013, 05:06

Graphics drivers updated (found a windows button to do it, with a bit of help. Wasn't able to narrow my PC model down any further then 'E-series'), and no change. However, this has become something LESS of an issue, given that the webtiles online version appears to function for me, with no issues (so far). Of course, everything looks different so I have to learn everything again, but at least now I can play modern verisons. Just not offline.

Edit: Would still be nice to find some way to get the offline version working again. I assume from the other error reports, I'm not the only one with a similar issue.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2013, 15:38

Another option for offline would be to play console (That's my preferred way to play personally, I find colored letters less ambiguous than a 32x32 image)

Of course a lot of people love using the mouse for everything, which only works for tiles...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 10th July 2013, 15:57

I got so used to playing tiles, that going back to ASCII characters threw me off fairly bad. I learned to recognize things by those cute little tiles. And while I tend not to play with a mouse, if I need to instantly examine multiple locations/targets, mouse is first choice there. Losing access to that in webtiles hurts too.

Return to Technical Support