Which font do you recommend for console games?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 08:15

Which font do you recommend for console games?

As 0.12 tourney is going on and American servers have too much lag I started playing a console game on CDO (bash on Linux Ubuntu, ssh). However, it's exhausting for the eyes, so I thought about changing the font.

• Using google I found that sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup should change the font. I got a menu to switch between VGA 16, Terminus, Fixed e.g. and rebooted the system but this seems not to do anything.
  • Looking at my rc-file on CDO I only see font settings for tiles like tile_font_crt_file = VeraMono.ttf or tile_font_stat_file = VeraMono.ttf which doesn't affect anything as expected.
Can I change the font for a console game? If so, how? And what will be best to reduce eye strain?
Last edited by Turukano on Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 08:57

Re: How to change font for console game?

You need to do it through your terminal settings. Do you know what terminal you are using?
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Turukano

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 09:54

Re: How to change font for console game?

galehar wrote:You need to do it through your terminal settings. Do you know what terminal you are using?

Alright, I changed settings in my bash.

There are not many fonts to choose from but I hope I'll manage to install other fonts. So the remaining question is: what do console players think which font will be best for reducing eye strain when playing? And do you have experience with different colours?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 11:26

Re: Which font do you recommend for console games?

I like to use DejaVu Mono at 20 pt.

http://dejavu-fonts.org/

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 18:02

jejorda2 wrote:I like to use DejaVu Mono at 20 pt.

Thanks for your idea. My bash has Monospace predefined, and one of the fonts I can choose from is DejaVu Sans Mono. It seems to be the same.

Well, I'd prefer webtiles, maybe we'll get it back some day. Now let's see what's going on with my console game.

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 22nd May 2013, 18:28

I like courier new or consolas.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 23rd May 2013, 14:11

I like consolas now as my monospace font, but DejaVu looks nice. I'll have to give it a download and see if I like it better.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 30th May 2013, 10:49

Thanks for your answers. Although I played console games quite a lot before DCSS started I couldn't become (re-)familiar with it.

Now there's a new European webtiles server, lantea has started as mentioned here.

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 31st May 2013, 07:25

I like classic 8x8 CGA font, it is oldschool (I feel it is good for roguelikes) and has height = width.
Examples: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6594&p=88199

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 31st May 2013, 15:00

blinkfrog wrote:I like classic 8x8 CGA font, it is oldschool (I feel it is good for roguelikes) and has height = width.
Examples: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6594&p=88199

The other current font thread suggested "Clean," which is a bitmap font for XWindows. Do you know how to go about vectorizing it for use on OSX? And have you posted your vectorized version of the CGA font anywhere, or the process you used to create it?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 31st May 2013, 23:43

I highly recommend the "Tiles" font.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

For this message the author XuaXua has received thanks: 2
Grimm, Sandman25

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 3rd June 2013, 11:44

jejorda2 wrote:Do you know how to go about vectorizing it for use on OSX? And have you posted your vectorized version of the CGA font anywhere, or the process you used to create it?

I have used FontForge and potrace for bitmap->vector conversion.
I would post ttf-version of CGA font, but don't know if it legal. Original .fon contains copyright string: "(c) Copyright Bitstream Inc. 1984. All rights reserved."

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 05:38

I have also used the FontForge and potrace for bitmap and Tiles. I advice for Tiles.

Return to Technical Support