Problems compiling for Windows: tilegen.elf crashes

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 15:17

Problems compiling for Windows: tilegen.elf crashes

Hi guys, I'm a total linux/coding noob in general, but I'm taking a few programming classes and figured crawl might be a fun place to start playing around with compiling and other back-end tasks.

I've figured out the basics of downloading the source from git and getting all the various dependencies set up, and it compiles and runs fine on my Ubuntu installation. However, I typically spend most of my time on Windows (win7 64-bit, in case it matters), and I'd like to to compile the source there as well.

I managed to get it to work once after downloading a lot of software (git, minGW, msys, perl, and I don't even remember what else), but then I foolishly decided to delete that copy in order to monkey around in the source files. (I admit, I wanted to try cheating by boosting a few racial aptitudes and so forth.) Now I'm getting errors every time I try to compile the game, whether the unmodified .12 source or the current version that git downloads. Both regular 'make' and 'make TILES=y' fail with the same behavior, and I've tried 'make clean' several times with no luck.

Specifically, the make command seems to be successful (though it does pop up an awful lot of "No prior declaration of foo_variable" warnings) until the rltiles directory comes up. Somewhere between "HOSTLINK tool/tilegen.elf" and "GEN main.png", a Windows error box pops up and informs me that tilegen.elf has crashed. The make command then gives an Error 5, leaves the directory and gives an Error 2, then stops. Again, this is with unmodified code, so I don't think any changes I attempted to make are involved. At least, I hope not.

Anyone know what is going wrong? Am I somehow missing a dependency type file somewhere? Like I said, it works fine in Linux and worked fine earlier today, but now I can't get it to work.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 16:15

Re: Problems compiling for Windows: tilegen.elf crashes

Pretty strange if you had it working earlier. I would recommend getting a fresh copy of the source (cloning it via git if that's not what you're already doing) and of course obvious things like restarting your computer.

Another suggestion, and this is very recent, like in the last few days, is that compilation using MSVC is now possible (Visual Studio 2012 Express or Full editons). This is only in the latest trunk version (not 0.12). The INSTALL.txt file has been updated to reflect this. The Express edition of VS2012 is a free download from Microsoft. So if you're working on Windows this might be a more comfortable environment for you anyway, especially while learning. I did a lot of the work getting this integrated and working in trunk so I'm happy to help out with any problems/questions (and it'd be good to have more people test it out anyway!)

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 16:16

Oh one other thought - if you cloned the source from git, did you remember to update the submodules first before you tried to compile?

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Tuesday, 21st May 2013, 23:39

Well, I think the problem turned out to be MinGW's fault somehow. I reinstalled it and forced it to redownload all the updated packages, whereas before I think I accidentally left it on "use the default packages" setting. Things appear to be working now, even my cheat-y little code changes.

So, in case anyone ever has this problem again, update your MinGW. ;)

Return to Technical Support