minor gripe about ring interface

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 13th April 2013, 21:25

minor gripe about ring interface

I find it odd that the game asks you if you want to take off the ring you're putting on. For instance, if you're wearing a ring of fire resist and a ring of cold resist, and try to put on another ring of fire resist, you'll be asked which ring you want to remove. Obviously you don't want to remove the ring of fire resist, so why are you asked?

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 13th April 2013, 22:05

Re: minor gripe about ring interface

This is undoubtedly true but I feel that here we have another case where the gain/cost ratio for the change is too low.

Not only is the situation you describe quite rare, there are also bizarre edge cases: a follower of Ashenzari might want to replace an uncursed ring of fire resistance with a cursed one, for example. Or anyone else might replace the uncursed ring of fire resistance with such a ring of unknown status, in order to get most of the subsequent scroll of Remove Curse reading. These cases are admittedly even more rare, and they could be addressed as well, but I doubt the added logic is worth it.

DCSS has a long history of improving the interface, and we're not nearly done. Yet I think that the interface has reached a level where many proposals are not quite worth it. In my assessment, this would be one of them.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
some12fat2move

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 14th April 2013, 00:39

Re: minor gripe about ring interface

Yeah, interface inconsistency in places like this is pretty common in Crawl and annoys me quite a bit. At some point I'd like to add options to force consistency for such prompts.

Return to Technical Support