Webtiles questions

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th February 2013, 07:33

Webtiles questions

Hi!

Could you you please answer the following questions?

1) Is there a way I could use mouse in webtiles? I am not used to key arrows for manual exploration, using mouse mostly instead. mouse_input=true in .rc does not seem to help.
2) Is it possible to decrease lagging in webtiles? I am in Europe so I believe I am recommended to use CDO server but since it does not support trunk (correct?) I tried CSZO but it looks too slow. speedtest.net displays 82mbs for download and 42mbs for upload so I hope the problem is not on my end.

Thank you

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 24th February 2013, 17:32

Re: Webtiles questions

1. Unfortunately, webtiles is mostly keyboard-driven at the moment. It's actually much closer to the ASCII interface than to the local tiles interface.

2. The important thing for lag is latency rather than bandwidth: any connection between Europe and the US, whatever its speed, is going to have a delay of at least 100 to 200 milliseconds on each keypress. That's enough to make the game too slow to be fun for some players.

You're right that CDO webtiles currently supports only 0.11: CDO doesn't have the same infrastructure in place that makes it so easy to upgrade webtiles on CAO and CSZO. Until that changes, you're stuck either with ASCII on CDO, non-trunk webtiles on CDO, or a laggy game on one of the US servers :(

Maybe we'll add another European server at some point, but that's quite a bit of work (and someone has to rent a server or already have one available)..

For this message the author neil has received thanks:
Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 24th February 2013, 18:18

Thank you for the clear answers and for the great game!

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 24th February 2013, 18:30

What's strange with webtiles lag is that it seems worse than over terminal, so it's not purely the geographical thing. It also seems much worse at some times than others, particularly when the server is busy; but I have no idea what could be causing this.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 25th February 2013, 01:55

Lag on webtiles for me strongly correlates to free memory and CPU on my local machine. The difference between different computers I regularly use is much greater than between CSZO and CDO (I'm in da UP, eh!)
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

For this message the author byrel has received thanks:
Sandman25

Return to Technical Support