FNG problems

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Monday, 4th February 2013, 22:07

FNG problems

Hey, to anyone who's reading this. This error is 100% PEBCAK, but it's still something i'm struggling with despite tootling around the internet for answers, so i'll swallow my pride and ask for help here.

I can't find my morgue files. I'm running mac OS X 10.6.8, which means the file should just be in (/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup/morgue/[charname].txt). I'm getting the prompt and everything after i dump my character - and i HAVE been dumping some characters, yes - I just don't know where to go in order to actually open the .txt file, and i can't figure out what to do.

Any mac-users out there able to offer help?
Cheers, luv! The CeFi's here!

Wins: MiFi of Qaz (6 runes)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 09:33

Re: FNG problems

I can't directly help, but one thing you could try is creating a character whose name is a distinctive string of letters/numbers not likely to be found elsewhere on your hard drive, dumping the character, then doing a search for that name.

If you've already tried that, then I don't know....

For this message the author Jeremiah has received thanks:
PostmodernBrony

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 12:23

Are you saying that you can't find /Users/[username]/etc.? Or just that you can't open the .txt file?

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
PostmodernBrony

Halls Hopper

Location: Inside the Lernaean Hydra's stomach (Thank god for this Amulet of rCorr)

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 15:51

@Jeremiah: i tried it, but thanks.

@Mumra: I can't find /Users/[username]/etc. I've got a couple of programs that can open .txt files - i just don't know how to find my actual morgue.

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:23

Run terminal, then try "cd /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup"

You can also try it with the goto command from a finder window. I think it is <ctrl><shift>G but I'm not in front of a mac right now.

Also check http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/faq#userdir_ if you haven't already.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 16:27

These two things might help you:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/31/go-to-folder-useful-mac-os-x-keyboard-shortcut/

Seems you can use this to directly type in the folder name and open it in Finder.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/25/mac-101-easily-show-the-library-folder-in-lion/

Apparently as of Lion, Apple in their infinite wisdom decided to hide the Library folder, that link tells you how to find it.

HTH

For this message the author mumra has received thanks:
PostmodernBrony

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 17:13

Oh, sweet merciful biscuits. The last trick worked! :D

Was able to FIND my library folder in the options menu after holding down the control key. everything went smoothly from there. I should be able to dump all of my morgue files normally from now on.

A multitude of thanks over this. I'm gonna name my next few characters after you. :p

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 17:48

Glad to help. Note: I've never even owned a Mac ;) For reference, my Google search was "mac navigate to user folder".

Halls Hopper

Post Tuesday, 5th February 2013, 18:11

...i didn't even think of that. most of my searches were crawl-related in some way or another; didn't even think of searching for Mac navigation tips. Then again, i did promise 100% PEBCAK error, and 100% PEBCAK was the answer in the end.

Has anyone else had problems accessing the morgue folder? i know i got a note from the official site, but i feel like i was the only guy that needed to open a thread to have it explained to him. :oops:

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 04:16

I'm on windows computers with a curious dual user-directory setup (one shared based on a network login, one local) and occasionally stumbled a bit locating such things. It happens, particularly on opaque operating systems. Linux is much less inclined to this sort of stupidity.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 08:01

I'm using an old Mac where the folders are still easy to see. However, it took me a while to work out how to do a character dump as my UK keyboard has £ instead of #.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 15:11

Jeremiah wrote:I'm using an old Mac where the folders are still easy to see. However, it took me a while to work out how to do a character dump as my UK keyboard has £ instead of #.

What was the solution to that?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 15:35

jejorda2 wrote:What was the solution to that?

Change my keyboard settings to US instead of UK. Obvious really... :oops:

Just means that when I want to type £ I have to do it some other way.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 19:28

Is your Mac so old that you don't have the option of turning on the menubar application that brings up international keyboards? (I forget what it's called, I haven't actually sat down at my home desktop for more than 10 minutes in several months as my wife has been crazy busy using it for paying work.)
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2013, 21:49

It's running Mac OS 10.4.11 (Tiger) - I'm not aware of a menu bar option to bring up international keyboards, I do it through System Preferences > International > Input Menu.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 7th February 2013, 12:30

There's probably an option in the same preference pane to "show input menu in menu bar." I'm not sure what they called the menu in Tiger; it may have changed.

You can also find the file that represents the menu and double-click it in the finder. I think that involves finding the file bundle for the preference pane, right clicking and choosing "show package contents." It's in there somewhere.

Return to Technical Support