Can't run crawl on ubuntu

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 27th December 2012, 21:41

Can't run crawl on ubuntu

Okay, i did just like the download section told me to do. However, when i try to run crawl-tiles or crawl through the terminal (with &) i get the following error: Failed to set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

I know that this may be a trivial problem, however I am a total noobie when it comes to using linux and i have compleately no clue what to do.

Please keep instructions as simple as possible, and sory for such a stupid problem :D

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 28th December 2012, 13:30

Re: Can't run crawl on ubuntu

Try installing the proprietary drivers. Click here for more information.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 29th December 2012, 22:05

The drivers were installed before i even downloaded crawl. Any other suggestions?

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th January 2013, 18:59

And this problem is crawl specific? I had this problem once, it was caused by bad installation of OpenGl.
Does glxgears run ok?
4 wins so far: MiBe (4), DrMo(15), HoFi(15), DsDK(6)

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 5th January 2013, 19:07

What does glxinfo say? What graphics chipset do you have?

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 8th January 2013, 19:59

snicka wrote:Okay, i did just like the download section told me to do. However, when i try to run crawl-tiles or crawl through the terminal (with &) i get the following error: Failed to set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

I know that this may be a trivial problem, however I am a total noobie when it comes to using linux and i have compleately no clue what to do.

Please keep instructions as simple as possible, and sory for such a stupid problem :D

Try with the terminal version again, but just write "crawl", not "crawl &". the & makes it run in the background (I think) something you dont want using the terminal version.

It seems like a problem with the graphics, so the terminal version should run fine.

Return to Technical Support