Making online console game to look and play as standalone

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 26th December 2012, 12:28

Making online console game to look and play as standalone

I want to discuss the ways to make online console gaming looking and controllable as standalone.

I am playing Crawl for many years since Darshan's vanilla. Of course there is plenty of habits that are hard to break for me. For example, I need the same colours as CGA OEM, the same full control as standalone version (including Ctrl+arrows, num-5 = wait and Shift + Num-5 = sleep, F1...F12 (I'm using it for magic macro), and so on). Also I used to use nice-looking oldschool square font and to use the IBM charset.

An example of how I like to play crawl.

If someone want to play this style, I can share my settings, fonts, regfiles and so on.

My goal is to find a proper SSH-client and to customize it so it will have similar look and full keyboard control.

1. Mac OS X. I was successfull to tune iTerm2 so it have similar look and control set. But it was hard: it seems Mac OS X can't use raster fonts, so I had had to vectorize cga font. After many time of fighting utilities I managed it. Also keyboard redefining wasn't so quick, but iTerm2 offers various ways to do that: ESC-sequences, hex-codes.

So now my mac-onlining looks like that:

Again, I can share any settings, but I don't know how to export profile from iTerm2.

2. As for Windows, the things are much worse, surprisingly. I was sure that Windows have much more configurable ssh-clients. But I tryed several free applications and didn't manage to tune it. For example, Putty's keyboard can't be redefined, and nethack mode isn't 100% compatible with crawl. Or there are some ssh clients that allow me to redefine keys, but can't use extended charset.

So If someone know free Windows client that can use unicode or extended ascii codes, custom colors and fonts, and allows to redefine keys and combinations (with shift, control etc.) please write.

P. S. Also I tryed to break some habits and to play webtiles, but keyboard control wasn't identical to standalone version: there was problems with num-5, shift+num-5 and may-be some combinations, can't remember. Also I think 100% mouse control would be nice feature, especially if optimized for touchscreens.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 2nd January 2013, 23:41

Re: Making online console game to look and play as standalon

I play on Ubuntu via ssh, and set the font to Courier New, and it's absolutely beautiful. I use charset=dec

Return to Technical Support