4+ Lair Sub-branches in one run... and 2x Lairs.

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 03:01

4+ Lair Sub-branches in one run... and 2x Lairs.

http://youtu.be/CV-3uVEFurA

So I'm very new to v0.11. I've only played a handful of times (~12 total), with one win on a successful MiBe 3-rune run. I think, however I've experienced a glitch.

While doing a "speedy-run" (not necessarily a speed run) wherein I tried to play as fast as I could, I rolled a MiBe. Got to the Lair on D:9, and started clearing it. While inside I found the Spider Den, The Snake Pit, The Swamp, AND the Slime pit (but no shoals!). Now, I was under the impression that you never have more than 3 branches in Lair. That one was always the slime pit, and that it was shoals/swamp and snake/spider depending on how much the crawl RNG had decided to **** you. So I was pleasantly surprised to see that 3 was just a minimum and that more *could* spawn...

... until I thought about it for ten seconds and realized that didn't make any sense. After all, there are only 15 runes, right? So how can there be extra rune-containing branches.

Anyway, I didn't get around to exploring them (yet) because I'm trying to do a speed run and figured I should save lair-runes for deep-dives later on. So I continue on my quest, hacking my way through Orc with (unfortunately) minimal good finds or god gifts. And then I continue on through the dungeon. Until D:13 where I come across a suspiciously familiar clump of foliage with a fire drake trapped in it. Sure enough, it's the Lair entrance. O_O Again.

Now, I'd buy that I somehow missed an update about extra branches, but an entire extra Lair? Or even lair entrance? That screams 'glitch' to me.

For those who are curious, this character is still alive. I have his .cs file. He is *not* in Wizard mode or any other bull-muckery. And perhaps best of all, the entire process of that first 1.5hrs of play has been recorded and I will be posting it to youtube. Will bump this topic when it's up (unless you're a subscriber to my channel in which case you'll just get the notification like with all my other 100+crawl vids :) ).

Has anyone had this happen?

-AHMAD
Last edited by BountyHunterSAx on Thursday, 18th October 2012, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.
My Wins (>25):
15-runer: OPWz, DECj, DEWz x2, VpWz
Other: DEWz, DrWz, DjWz, GnIE, KeCj, SpEn, SpWz, SpCj, MuWz, FeWzx2, MiBe x7.

Crawl Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/BountyHunterSAx2
or vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/BountyHunterSAx <--

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 03:14

Re: 4+ Lair Sub-branches in one run... and 2x Lairs.

Mimics can appear to be branch entry staircases.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 03:56

Hmm... well I haven't yet attempted to enter this "2nd lair", so that certainly could be what's up. But what of the 4 lair branches instead of just 3? Or are those also potentially mimic'd...now I see, nm.

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 07:55

Yea, I'm willing to bet you got a Lair and Lair sub-branch mimic. It happens.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 11:14

Not a bug, just mimics. You will see if you try stepping on one.
What made you happy today?
Shatari wrote:I traded a goat for a Nintendo DS XL, and a ton of games.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 12:50

I think it's a bug though that you got a Lair entrance mimic *after* you had already entered the Lair. You should report that (and upload the save file) to Mantis.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 13:05

JeffQyzt wrote:I think it's a bug though that you got a Lair entrance mimic *after* you had already entered the Lair. You should report that (and upload the save file) to Mantis.

Nope, the portals are 2 Snake Pits. One of them is a mimic. I don't think he entered the Slime Pits yet.
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 19:55

JeffQyzt wrote:I think it's a bug though that you got a Lair entrance mimic *after* you had already entered the Lair. You should report that (and upload the save file) to Mantis.

That's not a bug, this is intended. Yes, assuming you've checked the first one, it does mean that the second one is obvious. But what if you hadn't? Maybe you missed it because of a shaft. I don't think there should be a rule like "in case of 2 entrances to a branch, the mimic is always the deeper".
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 20:05

If you've visited Lair already, wouldn't that knowledge be available to the game when trying to place a mimic?

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 21:11

BlackSheep wrote:If you've visited Lair already, wouldn't that knowledge be available to the game when trying to place a mimic?

Yes, but the dungeon generation and monster placement shouldn't depend on exploration pattern.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 23:04

I have no problem with it as is. I do object to the concept of mimics as it encourages tedious play (ie: throwing magic darts/rocks/real darts at every door before opening it). Especially for a frail caster in the early game who might find such a door instantly lethal.

But then, I object to a lot of design choices in crawl and still play the game, so nothing really new here ;).

-AHMAD
My Wins (>25):

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 18th October 2012, 23:11

BountyHunterSAx wrote:I have no problem with it as is. I do object to the concept of mimics as it encourages tedious play (ie: throwing magic darts/rocks/real darts at every door before opening it). Especially for a frail caster in the early game who might find such a door instantly lethal.

Well you're wasting your time for no reason there since that has no effect.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th October 2012, 10:33

minmay wrote:Of course that means it just encourages much more tedious behaviour (walk over every staircase/escape hatch if you think you might use it ever, etc.)

I think that this can be a tactital choice, wasting real time and turns or not having a particular efficient path in case you have to travel the dungeon or on the Orb final run? It's not a no-brainer.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 19th October 2012, 19:32

minmay wrote:Well, doesn't throwing things at them also take real time and turns? I'm not seeing any real difference here.

I was not speaking about mimics, just about checking stairs and portals in general... I did not specified that so that's my fault.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 19:52

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2931&p=35777#p35777

I found all three on the same level once!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 23rd October 2012, 20:35

minmay wrote:Well, doesn't throwing things at them also take real time and turns? I'm not seeing any real difference here.

Throwing was often risk free, since the mimic is normal speed. So it made some sense to test features even if you didn't want to kill the mimic.

Approaching melee range lets the mimic hit you (and possibly constrict you) so it probably doesn't make sense to test every feature unless you are clearing an escape route.

Return to Technical Support