Compatibility between platforms?

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 02:29

Compatibility between platforms?

Quick question, which I could probably try by experimentation, but it seems quicker to ask: Are savefiles compatible between OS platforms? I tend to use dual-boot PCs with Crawl installed on both Windows and Ubuntu, and I have this mad notion of have both versions use a common highscore table and saves. Would this work, or is it a Nethack-like situation where the savefiles just won't port?

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 07:17

Re: Compatibility between platforms?

I was just about to post the same question, but for a different reason - I use Linux on one machine and Windows on two others, and I have a dropbox folder that syncs to all three computers.

If I set the savedir to be in my dropbox folder, should the same version of crawl be able to use the same save files on each OS / computer?

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 09:20

As far as I know, save files are entirely compatible between operating systems. As a dev I've repeatedly loaded Unix save files (uploaded in bug reports) on my Windows machine (and vice versa).

That said, I've recently learned that Lua is getting compiled into the save itself and that that might cause problems, but that's all hear-say and I don't understand why, myself.

It's probably best if you guys try it and report your findings back here. 8-)
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
Napkin

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 09:57

I just tried to load a windows save file under linux and it works fine. Haven't tried playing it yet, though
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
Wolfechu

Vestibule Violator

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 17:06

I've noticed that saves used to use a bunch of separate files, and now there is just one .cs file (crawl save, I assume) in the latest builds.

I guess it would be easy to try. What I'm not sure about is how to change the default save location on my linux box. Is there an option that can be set, or does this need to be set when compiling the game?

- wait, never mind - I'll just delete the saves folder from usr/games/crawl/data/saves/ and make it a symlink to a saves folder in my dropbox!

I don't see why that wouldn't work! Then I'll be able to continue my games from any of my computers at any time!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 21:58

There's a save_dir option, but I haven't tested it. Default location can also be set at compile time I think. Be careful to avoid the savescum temptation with dropbox ;)
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 21st December 2010, 23:54

Thanks for all the feedback; no Internet access right now, but I'll certainly give this a try with dropbox tonight and let you know how it turns out ;)

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 05:09

Just transferred an Ubuntu save to Windows through dropbox. Oddly, crawl sees the name and places the char on the start screen, but if you select it, it just takes you further into character generation like the file didn't exist. Further testing may be required here, as I could well be bodging this up somehow.

Server Admin

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 07:30

What versions of Stone soup are you using? Could you please list all the files you copied?
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 09:22

The prebuilt windows binary of 0.7.1, and the straight tiles compile of the same version on Ubuntu. Only thing I copied over was the <playername> tarball, which windows didn't recognize initially and I unzipped out of experimentation in the saves folder, which seemed to at least pull the name up.

Did I miss something?

Edit: For completeness, just checked the exact build: 0.7.1-1-g7ce9b19 on both

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 16:40

I would try copying the entire save folder?

Server Admin

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 19:30

In the past the save game files on Linux had the UID of the Unix account running the game added to the filename (<charname>-<UID>.cs). Not sure this is still done and not sure how this is handled in Windows, but I could imagine that there is a discrepancy between what Stone Soup is looking for and what you gave to it.

That's why I asked for the filenames, but you can check yourself. Create a new char with a different name in Windows and compare the filenames.
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 21:56

Yep, you're absolutely right. The Linux savefiles are <charname>-1000, the windows ones have no such suffix.

Will try copying the savefolder just in case, danr, but I suspect this is where the problem is coming in.

Server Admin

Post Thursday, 23rd December 2010, 00:12

Removing the "-<UID>" part from the save game files should make it work in Windows then :)

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 24th December 2010, 10:31

Wolfechu wrote:Yep, you're absolutely right. The Linux savefiles are <charname>-1000, the windows ones have no such suffix.

Doh. Somehow I completely forgot about that when claiming I was able to switch games without problems. I'd gotten so used to it that renaming saves in the process seemed entirely natural to me. Sorry about that! :/

Obviously this makes repeated switching between different OSes more annoying that it has any right to be.

On the upside, this won't be necessary for 0.8 anymore.
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 28th December 2010, 12:26

I just had to reboot in windows to load a save file someone uploaded on Mantis. I had a lua error when I tried to load it under Linux. So there are compatibility issues.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 1st January 2011, 12:37

To ensure good compatibility with windows, compile crawl with BUILD_LUA=y

Server Admin

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 09:48

Weird, galehar, neither the mingw32 builds nor the native builds for CDO - built on CDO - need to enable that option manually. Either you are missing something or the portion responsible for natively building in Windows needs adjustment then, I'd say.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd January 2011, 11:36

I mean, if you want to be able to load windows save files under linux, compile crawl under linux with BUILD_LUA=y. This options force the makefile to use the contrib lua instead of the system one. The contrib lua has a special patch that makes it incompatible with standard one (hence the windows/linux compatiblity issues). See mantis #3079.

Return to Technical Support