Broken character and monster graphics in Tiles 0.11.0

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 2nd October 2012, 22:13

Broken character and monster graphics in Tiles 0.11.0

Hi all!

First, kudos to a great game and an apparently great dev community. I'm new, been playing about 3 weeks now on Webtiles. Tried to switch over to the standalone version (0.11.0) so that I could practice a bit more and, let me be honest, save scum a bit until I get a better hang on things.

My main problem is I'm getting wonky character and monster tiles on the standalone version, as below:

I'm unsure if this is a known issue that can easily be fixed, or if it could be that I'm using a rather old laptop with what I assume is a lackluster video card.

I'm on Windows 7 32bit with Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
I don't know much about video hardware, so if more info on that is necessary, please tell me what to supply.

Another thought, I believe I did a clean install of this after removing a 0.10.x build, but maybe the graphics were somehow left over and are incompatible?

Second, since I have your attention :), I have had to edit the init.txt with a travel_delay = 0 to compensate slow gameplay due to (I believe) aforementioned crappy video card / drivers.

I'm fine with the delay being non-existent in this mode, but am wondering if there's a way to also speed up throw/casting/etc graphics? As it is now, throwing a dart takes forever to render.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
A$C ;)
Last edited by Grimm on Wednesday, 3rd October 2012, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved image link slightly

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 2nd October 2012, 22:56

Re: Broken character and monster graphics in Tiles 0.11.0

Yeah, that looks like a driver problem. Any modern video card should be able to handle Crawl, but the default OpenGL drivers in Windows 7 are extremely crappy. Try getting drivers for your chipset from Intel.

There's no way to speed up beams (that I know of), apart from (hopefully) a better driver.

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks:
asciigod

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 2nd October 2012, 23:14

Re: Broken character and monster graphics in Tiles 0.11.0

Thanks for the advice. That was indeed the issue with both the character graphics AND the throwing animations.

Long story short, the game appears to run perfectly now.

From what I had read elsewhere in these forums, I was figuring updating my drivers would probably be a solution. Not being incredibly hardware savvy I was a bit hesitant / scared to do so.

Lesson to others in the future who read this thread. Update the drivers. Apparently, it's a cure all for most of the visual / performance problems in Win7.

thanks again :)

Return to Technical Support