Randart/magic sprites

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 00:55

Randart/magic sprites

Hi there,
I was wondering if there is any reason why randarts are the same sprites as magic (runed etc.) objects?

It's been annoying me recently as I've got a +2 robe of cold resistance (I need the rC+) but want to search for a better randart without sifting through lots of blue robes. I can't see any reason why they should all be the same, as it only adds a bit of a chore in looking at each item. Is it just a lack of graphics? if it is...

I have been a graphic designer for some time now (about 4 years of commercial experience, admittedly on boring commercial projects) but have recently been given a lot more spare time and would be happy to lend a hand . I was also thinking of doing all the zombies so that they weren't all that big bear thing and anything else that needs doing?.
2012 Winner of fewest proposed ideas implemented by devs.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 09:37

Re: Randart/magic sprites

Sure, more tiles are always welcome. Feel free to draw and submit more. Regarding zombies, check trunk, because there's much more of them than in 0.7. The shape list isn't frozen too. If you think a specific monster type should have its own zombie/skeleton/simulacrum tile and are willing to draw them, do it.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th February 2011, 17:27

Welcome, "tile-maker" to our proud ranks =)

Something more drastic about robes I proposed in this thread:
https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=462
but this idea got shuffled away.

Anyway, if I may propose, zombie tiles are comparatively easy to make. And if you have experience in sprite-making and/or pixel art it would be wise to make skeleton tiles instead. Because army of zombie tiles is rising (with my help also ;) ) but skeletal version of the same creatures are missing.
Also, making zombie for every living creature is quite unnecessary in my opinion.
To this point I made a rat Z for all types of rats, toad Z for all types of toads and so on.
It's better to use excess creative potential at something else that needs to be done. And there's so many :)

P.S. Can't wait to see your tiles :geek:

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 11:41

Bim wrote:It's been annoying me recently as I've got a +2 robe of cold resistance (I need the rC+) but want to search for a better randart without sifting through lots of blue robes. I can't see any reason why they should all be the same, as it only adds a bit of a chore in looking at each item. Is it just a lack of graphics? if it is...

Hmm... as far as I can see there are three types of robe tiles: plain, runed/glowing, artefact, though I can't remember whether they are new to 0.8. If not, it's possible you simply haven't seen any artefact robes yet.

I have been a graphic designer for some time now (about 4 years of commercial experience, admittedly on boring commercial projects) but have recently been given a lot more spare time and would be happy to lend a hand . I was also thinking of doing all the zombies so that they weren't all that big bear thing and anything else that needs doing?.

Cool, that'd be great! As already pointed out, we got a lot of zombie tiles already, but check out this list: https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php? ... ng_for_0.8
Surprisingly, we've crossed off a lot already. However, we now need different-shaped "pillars of salt".
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 16:03

Robes:
My mistake, I'm sure I've seen randart robes just looking blue...OH NO I'LL HAVE TO PLAY CRAWL FOR ANOTHER 5 HOURS TO FIND OUT! :D

But yeah, what about heavy armor? they seem to only have two levels in the main.png file?

As far as pillars of salt, I don't actually know the ones you mean? If you could delegate a few graphics to me I'd be more than happy to give them a go, as I'm finding that list a bit confusing and don't want to re-do whats already been done when we've still got tiles missing.
Last edited by Bim on Friday, 3rd January 2014, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 17:25

Ahh right, good to know. Well I've done a few (mainly just minor adjustments to existing ones as I didn't want to get confusing) Is there any where I should post/upload them too for review?

Bim

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 17:42

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome curio! I will get on doing the skeleton tiles, I have to say pixel art hasn't been what I've trained in, but I can't wait to get my skills up! (and I'm sure that I get a +4 boost with my previous experience :P)
Any specific skeletons you'd like? I was thinking about doing specific kobold skeletons?

P.s I don't know how to edit posts, so sorry for the double!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 18:12

minmay wrote:There is a tile for artefact robes but it isn't actually used except with the wizmode + command (make randart from item).

Seriously? :shock: Oh noes, a bug!
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 18:24

Too much of a honor for those little nasty buggers to have their own skeleton tile, I think :lol:
Here is another link:
https://crawl.develz.org/wiki/doku.php?id=dcss:brainstorm:tiles:tiles_improvement

Tiles improvement with a table of zombie/skeletal/etc.
As you can see there's missing skeletons of a toad and a rat and those represent a very big pile of monsters altogether. Also, my lizard zombie under consideration and if it will be accepted, it's skeletal counterpart would be cool - it will singlehandedly represent all lizard of a dungeon (newts, gekkos, alligators, komodos etc). Very ergonomic :)

I see that you too a bit bothered with item tiles and I fully support aspiration to improve them. Personally, I think that ring mail, orcish ring mail and crystal plate mail should be remade completely. Many other armor items look awkward and unfitting. But that's my opinion. I must admit that i lack the skill to try and make good-looking item from a scratch. But I train ;)

Anyway, If you want to upload your tiles - do it on a Mantis bug-tracker here:
https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/main_page.php
Register and "Report Issue". It's quite self-explanatory from then.
Mantis also used for reporting various bugs, submitting vaults and patches.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 9th February 2011, 18:28

Curio wrote:I must admit that i lack the skill to try and make good-looking item from a scratch. But I train ;)

Aw, you're too modest. :D

Thanks for the explanations!

Return to Technical Support