linux dcss

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 05:01

linux dcss

im on vista and since updating from xp dungeon crawl runs like crap, so what build(s) of pendrive linux would you guys suggest and could you link a tutorial for installing said linux variant and then installing dcss onto it?

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 08:39

Re: linux dcss

That's a pretty large request. Good luck.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 10:32

well i know how to get damn small linux running, and there is a linux build, right? so im just asking how to get linux working with dcss, as i cant seem to do ANYTHING with linux

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 11:08

What you need is openGL drivers. Just install your graphic card drivers and you should be fine. This should be much easier than installing any linux distro, especially if you can't seem to do anything with linux.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 13:40

i have the correct drivers installed, the problem with the game is it lags so badly its unplayable due to vistas processor intensiveness, and i cant play without tiles, ascii works, but its just not as fun for me you know? and i know linux is less processor intensive than vista

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 13:44

I'm telling you the lag isn't caused by the processor, nor by vista's overhead. If console works fine and tiles is laggy, it is undoubtedly caused by graphic drivers not supporting openGL properly.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 13:52

well all graphics drivers are working fine for all other games, gltron, minecraft, survival crisis z, fable, everything works fine except dcss

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 16:23

jofadda wrote:well all graphics drivers are working fine for all other games, gltron, minecraft, survival crisis z, fable, everything works fine except dcss

Probably because they all use DirectX and crawl is the only one to use openGL. Anyway, it's very possible that there isn't any decent openGL drivers for your card. Most linux distributions have no problem running crawl, try Ubuntu.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 15th July 2012, 22:35

galehar wrote:
jofadda wrote:well all graphics drivers are working fine for all other games, gltron, minecraft, survival crisis z, fable, everything works fine except dcss

Probably because they all use DirectX and crawl is the only one to use openGL. Anyway, it's very possible that there isn't any decent openGL drivers for your card. Most linux distributions have no problem running crawl, try Ubuntu.

GLTron uses DirectX? AFAIK Minecraft doesn't use DirectX either, although I could be wrong.

I recall Vista having trouble with full screen - have you tried playing Crawl in windowed mode?
Dearest Steve
thanks for the gym equipment
the plane crashed

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 00:15

I'm using Linux Mint. As far as a tutorial, each distro has its own installer. Once installed, the CDO download page has information for adding a Crawl repository and installing it. If you get stuck on a specific point then I'd be happy to try to help.

However, I'm not going to scour the internet for a tutorial on installing pendrive linux, which version of pendrive is best for DCSS, and then a tutorial on installing DCSS on pendrive linux. But that's just because I'm feeling grumpy today.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 02:34

danr wrote:I'm using Linux Mint. As far as a tutorial, each distro has its own installer. Once installed, the CDO download page has information for adding a Crawl repository and installing it. If you get stuck on a specific point then I'd be happy to try to help.

However, I'm not going to scour the internet for a tutorial on installing pendrive linux, which version of pendrive is best for DCSS, and then a tutorial on installing DCSS on pendrive linux. But that's just because I'm feeling grumpy today.

fair enough on not wanting to scour the net, so how well does linux mint run other things? and how compatible is it for wireless network drivers

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 16th July 2012, 18:41

I've only run Mint on one system, if you wanted to know for a specific wireless driver I guess you could google that.

Mint is based on Ubuntu and is now more popular than Ubuntu itself, I believe. I've got Mint 13 Cinnamon Edition and it's running okay but not super on a 1.6GHz Atom processor that's a couple years old.

Return to Technical Support