Picking a stat to increase at level-up

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 16:35

Picking a stat to increase at level-up

I don't know if I am alone with this problem, but for me it is a bit troublesome that (S)trength and (D)exterity are using two keys next to each other. I am often hit the wrong one when it's dark, but now I missed it during a day. It's not critical, but annoying. Maybe S(t)rength can be used this way, with (t) as active key? Or maybe confirmation with (y/n) is appropriate?

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 18:25

Re: Picking a stat to increase at level-up

The movement keys are next to one another, and hitting the wrong one can mean certain death. Do you want confirmation there?

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 18:45

Are you really do not see the difference here?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 19:08

white_noise: I've had that problem too, but I have taken it as a sign that I need to play closer attention to what my fingers are doing. As yogaFLAME implies, the game as a whole demands this level of alertness.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 19:18

Raising a stat is fairly rare event. And it has pretty big impact. Why don't add the confirmation? We have confirmations on many events although it unnecessary if player keeps attention. But it has been made to exclude unwanted mistakes. This is exactly the same thing.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 19:58

I think it could easily implemented as an optional confirmation (e.g. defaulting to off) in the .ini file...
My wins so far - FeBe, KoBe, DsCo, MDFi, DsBe

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 20:22

I don't see how this is a problem. Everything stops when you gain a level. There's a "More..." and then a prompt. You have all the time in the world to be careful, think about your character's development, and then choose Int.

For this message the author BlackSheep has received thanks:
galehar

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 21:26

I personally do not need any time to think about it. I know what I will choose long before level up. So I just close this "pop-up" and continue playing. This kind of actions rarely requires much attention. And if you always pick int, you probably wouldn't want the keys 'u' and 'o' doing some irreversible changes to your char. Well, I always pick dex and there is always a chance to pick str instead if I don't see keyboard good enough. Also I don't know any other events in game that provoke such mistakes.

Vestibule Violator

Post Sunday, 2nd September 2012, 22:29

One example was already brought up: movement.

Also, each single stat choice isn't all that relevant.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 06:59

Galefury wrote:One example was already brought up: movement.

- Movement keys are close to each other because you use them all together and with one hand. Something you don't do (and don't need) with stat picking.
- I (and I believe everybody else) always keep a hand on movement keys, so I don't need to search for them. And if I do, they are easier to find even without looking.
- Movement keys are used every turn and stat picking key is once every three levels. Nine times per game at max. I don't think that confirmation here is something unreasonable, but in case of movement keys confirmation would be crazy.
- You CAN go back if you push wrong movement key.

I have brought example too. There is pretty unnecessary confirmations in game, like walking into a cloud or excluded area. Hell yes I want to go there if I push this button. But in case I am sloppy the game asks me if I am sure. And I am sloppy with stat picking, so I'd like the game to ask me about it too.

Galefury wrote:Also, each single stat choice isn't all that relevant.

I know that my char don't turn into a mess after one mistake. It can spoil the game a little, though, but I don't see how confirmation (especially turned off by default) can.

I understand now that not everybody (to say the least) have the problem with this issue, and I doubt it will be fixed, but I still think that it should be.

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 07:14

Are we really having this thread? You just typed an essay and yet you maintain that you're unable to find home row in the dark.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 07:17

That's not a reasonable objection to white_noise's arguments.

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 08:41

Any dev has idea on how much would this implementation cost in term of coding?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 09:06

palin wrote:Any dev has idea on how much would this implementation cost in term of coding?

Not a lot, but that's not the issue. We already have too many options, I don't want to add a useless one. And prompts are quite annoying. Really, Blacksheep couldn't state it better. There is a more prompt, you have all the time in the world to find the right key. Also, if you're playing tiles, you'll soon have a popup window where you can click your choice. One of the improvement done to the android port which is getting merged into trunk.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 09:24

Maybe one solution is changing the DEX prompt to a capital "D".
So the choices should be: (s)trength, (D)exterity or (i)ntelligence and the interface should not accept a capital S or a lowercase d.

Vestibule Violator

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 09:33

Maybe there is no problem to solve?

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 14:02

You can also already automatically select your stat gains through Lua, by defining the choose_stat_gain function:
  Code:
: function choose_stat_gain()
: crawl.sendkeys('d')
: end

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 16:02

Grimm wrote:That's not a reasonable objection to white_noise's arguments.

I suppose if you're coming from the basis that his arguments are reasonable in the first place. But reasonable objections have been made already. When you pop up a confirmation dialogue, you don't pop up another confirmation dialogue asking if the user meant to click "OK." It's just bad UI design. I also reject ideas like these:

palin wrote:I think it could easily implemented as an optional confirmation (e.g. defaulting to off) in the .ini file...

palin wrote:Any dev has idea on how much would this implementation cost in term of coding?

This is the software development philosophy I firmly believe in. Adding every opt-in feature that every user wants is a great way to arrive at orphaned features and generally unmaintainable code.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 17:04

I'm coming from the basis that civility is in the serious sections of this forum always devoutly to be wished.

That being said, as the OP has accepted the rejection of his proposal, this thread can be closed. Anyone against this, say so soon.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 3rd September 2012, 19:25

Internationalization discussion split and thread shuttered.

Return to Technical Support