Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11


Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Master

Posts: 125

Joined: Sunday, 8th May 2011, 21:54

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 16:41

Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

Hi,

Starting with 0.11, all chat messages in Webtiles games will appear in the game notes (accessible via ?: in-game or in the morgue file). Since chats weren't logged so far, I thought I should announce this. You've been warned ;)

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks: 2
tcjsavannah, yogaFLAME

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 21

Joined: Saturday, 2nd July 2011, 00:38

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 17:11

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

I don't know if other players have requested this or it's just being done to have the same features. Still - could this logging be an option instead, please? Even if auto opt-in. I would very much prefer to both keep my game chats (somewhat) private and notes clean :)
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 5832

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 18:30

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 18:07

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

I guess I'll have to take my "sprigganing" elsewhere.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!
User avatar

Snake Sneak

Posts: 117

Joined: Sunday, 6th February 2011, 03:18

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 20:45

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

I understand this logging function may be optional(?). If it can be disabled, that'd be great. I chat too much as it is and would rather not clog up my (or my friend's) dump files. Thanks!! :mrgreen:
Annotations
D:3 exclusion: Sigmund
User avatar

Pandemonium Purger

Posts: 1298

Joined: Wednesday, 11th April 2012, 02:42

Location: Sydney, Australia

Post Thursday, 7th June 2012, 23:57

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

edlothiol wrote:Hi,

Starting with 0.11, all chat messages in Webtiles games will appear in the game notes (accessible via ?: in-game or in the morgue file). Since chats weren't logged so far, I thought I should announce this. You've been warned ;)


When I saw this I thought 'Wow, some people's morgue files are going to go on forever and forever!'. Can it be enableable/disableable? Maybe with a gradient of options, like 'log all conversation' / 'log player's conversation' / 'log nothing' that the player can set at any time during the game.

Dungeon Master

Posts: 553

Joined: Wednesday, 22nd December 2010, 10:12

Post Friday, 8th June 2012, 01:56

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

You might also want to add a mute feature, or some other way for the player to censor their chat. It's currently easy for people to spam chat (sometimes maliciously, sometimes they're just being too chatty) and it would suck if that meant spamming your log file as well.

Halls Hopper

Posts: 77

Joined: Thursday, 10th February 2011, 23:20

Post Monday, 11th June 2012, 20:58

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

I'd also much prefer this to be optional. I probably chat too much and people tend to chat a lot in my games. Which is nice and sociable and doesn't bother me when I'm playing at all but, personally, I wouldn't want it all saved and cluttering up the useful information in the game notes.
User avatar

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 155

Joined: Tuesday, 22nd February 2011, 18:24

Post Thursday, 14th June 2012, 07:13

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

I'm not sure how well this is going to work in the logs, I guess it depends where it's put and in what format.
There's sometimes a lot of talking in webtiles chat, especially high spec games (and sometimes it's completely unrelated banter, where the player isn't even involved.)

Dungeon Master

Posts: 125

Joined: Sunday, 8th May 2011, 21:54

Post Friday, 29th June 2012, 19:05

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

The logging is now optional (by default on).

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks: 4
BlackSheep, Daydreamer, nago, paplaukes
User avatar

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 168

Joined: Sunday, 27th February 2011, 16:54

Post Thursday, 19th July 2012, 23:15

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

Any chance of getting a 'friends list' in Webtiles? Would be cool to keep up with people I bump into in games.

Dungeon Master

Posts: 125

Joined: Sunday, 8th May 2011, 21:54

Post Friday, 20th July 2012, 16:44

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

There is a long list of things that I'd consider more important, so probably not anytime soon... Not to mention the fact that it would be a bit problematic because of the integration with the dgamelaunch user database.

For this message the author edlothiol has received thanks:
ClawlessVictory
User avatar

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 168

Joined: Sunday, 27th February 2011, 16:54

Post Sunday, 22nd July 2012, 01:14

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

edlothiol wrote:There is a long list of things that I'd consider more important, so probably not anytime soon... Not to mention the fact that it would be a bit problematic because of the integration with the dgamelaunch user database.

Okay, thanks for the consideration anyways. Keep up the good work, man!

Spider Stomper

Posts: 236

Joined: Thursday, 2nd August 2012, 18:53

Post Friday, 31st August 2012, 18:13

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

edlothiol wrote:The logging is now optional (by default on).

Would you mind setting the default value to off?

Mines Malingerer

Posts: 41

Joined: Wednesday, 22nd August 2012, 19:45

Post Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 07:48

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

Turgon wrote:
edlothiol wrote:The logging is now optional (by default on).

Would you mind setting the default value to off?

I second this. Also, please provide an optical indication in the game or in the lobby for games that _do_ log chats. Otherwise private talk in other people's games becomes pretty much impossible for people who are concerned in privacy.

For this message the author wolloloo has received thanks:
Turgon

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1567

Joined: Friday, 21st January 2011, 22:56

Post Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 08:25

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

Private talk in other people's public games. Right.

I think if you say something in a public game that anyone can spectate, especially someone else's game, you shouldn't say things that you would mind being logged. Passwords and sensitive private information do not belong on crawl chat. Neither do terrorist plans, insults towards your boss at work, and how super high someone is right now. If you want to talk privately, do so. But don't do it via crawl. There are lots of other chat services. The purpose of ##crawl on the freenode IRC network is to be a platform where people can meet to talk about crawl, and IRC has ways of chatting with someone reasonably privately. There even is ##crawl-offtopic for talking about non-crawl stuff to crawl people.

Chat in console games has been logged forever, and people are fine with it because they use it to talk to the person playing the game, about the game. This is relevant to the person playing, and relevant to everyone spectating the game, and it is what the ingame communication is for. If you want to use it for things it is not meant for, deal with the consequences.

All that said, mentioning the logging in the lobby or on registration would be good. Publicly accessible logging can lead to nasty surprises if people don't know about it.
Last edited by Galefury on Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1509

Joined: Wednesday, 21st September 2011, 01:10

Location: St. John's, NL, Canada

Post Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 08:25

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

Defaulting to off and giving an indicator reinforce a false sense of security. If you're typing things over a non-encrypted link, you should assume that the Times of India will be making it front-page news tomorrow if they want to. Note that when you sign up for online DCSS you are cautioned that your password isn't remotely secure - more places should be upfront about that.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

Dungeon Master

Posts: 1531

Joined: Saturday, 5th March 2011, 06:29

Post Wednesday, 5th September 2012, 10:47

Re: Webtiles chats will be logged in 0.11

rchandra wrote:Defaulting to off and giving an indicator reinforce a false sense of security. If you're typing things over a non-encrypted link, you should assume that the Times of India will be making it front-page news tomorrow if they want to. Note that when you sign up for online DCSS you are cautioned that your password isn't remotely secure - more places should be upfront about that.


Where is that caution exactly? I'm not seeing it on the register option on webtiles. I hope they're not storing passwords in plain text. Since it's all over https it would be pretty hard for the Times of India to get their mitts on it. Most of the data loss gaffs of recent times have only been an issue because companies that really should know better (e.g. Sony) were storing plain text passwords when it is really not very hard to apply a one-way encryption.

Return to Technical Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.