I'm having a technical problem with the game...help :s

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 14:40

I'm having a technical problem with the game...help :s

I've been enjoying the game for some time on CAO server, and it seems it's safe to say that i'm in love with the game :D
I did, however, have trouble with occasional lag (sometimes with the server but it also doesn't help the fact that i'm sitting on the other side of the Earth ...)
So I decided to just install it in my box (Freebsd 9-stable running x/openbox/urxvt). Really, the only thing i'll be missing i suppose would be the player ghosts, which is shame but not game-breaking. The build and installation of version 0.10.2 went well, as far as i can tell. Starting and playing the game seems smooth. There's just one glitch: cursor is apparently ..err... not apparent.

When I press X or x, toggling the view mode, cursor doesn't show up. It's there; i know so because i can press directional keys and see that descriptions of the places change or use it to move my character elsewhere, but the cursor itself is not visible on the screen. This is a problem since i can't tell where I am pointing my cursor or which staircase i'm headed to, or where I am really firing the missile. Fortunately, the cursor shows in red color when i'm targeting hostile. I haven't tried it with friendly targeting, so I can't comment on that. I assume it may have to do with the coloring.

Are there any tips on how I could address the issue?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2012, 15:14

Re: I'm having a technical problem with the game...help :s

There is an option you can set in the init.txt file (I'm not sure if it's the same name on a unix build) called "use_fake_cursor". You could try toggling that and see if it makes a difference.

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 11:13

I have tried it and it didn't produced any visible changes. I also thought maybe the custom colors in my .Xdefaults would have caused problem, so tried running a term w/out it to no avail... any other possible solutions? the alternative would be to play tiles but...I really really like the terminal version better than tiles :s

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2012, 14:59

That's all I've got. I only have Windows boxes to test on.

This would probably be better off in the Interface & Software forum. Crazy Yiuf's Corner is for general silliness, not technical support.

Return to Technical Support