Joined: Wednesday, 18th April 2012, 11:54
I've had a stab at cross-compiling Crawl for Android and the results are linked below. I've got to D4 without it crashing so I thought it would be worth sharing with a wider audience. This ought to work on Android 2.2 (Froyo) and above, and might possibly work on earlier versions too. It definitely works on my Froyo tablet and an ICS tablet emulator - I should imagine it's horrid on a phone, but the SDL library wrapper gives lots of settings to twiddle, so you might get some use out of it.
At the moment I'd be interested in knowing if anyone wants to try this out, what device they're trying it on, and whether it works (at all) or not.
Latest Version (28th August, 0.12!): http://www.mediafire.com/?1ha47qj25hmdd43
If you had a go with previous builds, you must delete:
If you have stability issues after updating, you can also remove:
/sdcard/app-data/org.develz.crawl/ (the whole directory)
/data/data/org.develz.crawl/files/libsdl-settings.cfg (if you have root)
If it turns out that there's interest in maintaining an Android port, I'll have a go at tarting up the source code to the point it could be checked in somewhere. I'm quite happy to go through the technical details (in short: pelya's SDL port; string-and-sellotape; blunt instrument to glwrapper-ogl.cc) too, if that's needed.
Older builds (just in case)
Default key bindings:
home save and quit
You can submit a <return> character by opening the soft keyboard
and clicking the "Send" button with no text in the buffer
UI changes from trunk:
- menus that toggle between two views (e.g. 'a'bilities; 'z'appable spells) can be toggled by clicking on the header or help text
- multi-select menus (e.g. pick-up and 'd'rop) can be completed by clicking on the header
- clicking on items and options in a shop performs the appropriate action
- item descriptions are fully clickable (e.g. "press (e) to eat or (d) to drop" lets you click the (e) or (d) parts of the text)
- yes/no and str/int/dex prompts pop up a box to click on
- 'c'hop opens a menu when there's more than one item to butcher
- pick-up opens the menu by default (you can switch this off again in init.txt)
- --more-- is only printed on really exciting things like level-up (you can switch this back to the original, much more naggy, setting in init.txt)
- clicking on the player when there's nothing on the tile waits one turn
- clicking on the player whilst stood on a shop, portal or staircase will travel up/down appropriately
- 'i'nventory, 'z'ap, 'd'rop and 'c'hop all have their own icons in the abilities area
- common and system commands have been split into two separate tabs
- tabs for memorise and skills have been taken out (sorry) (not really sorry); you can still get at these dialogues through the buttons for 'M' and 'm'
- clicking minimap enables map mode, moves cursor
- tab for 'X' map mode added, allowing for searching for up/down stairs, setting waypoints and the like. You can click on the cursor to auto-travel to that position
- popup prompt when swapping rings