Changing resolution

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 20th March 2012, 11:47

Changing resolution

Hi there. I would like to change the in-game resolution to something that allows for larger icons and fonts. From what I've gathered and tested so far, if I set the following parameters in tiles_options.txt:

tile_full_screen = false
tile_window_width = 1024
tile_window_height = 768

I get a window that is 1024 by 768. However, the icons and fonts are still quite small. I think that, even though the window is 1024x768, the actual game running in the window is scaled to 1920xsomething (the Windows 7 "background" resolution).

So, to sum it up, is it possible to have Crawl running in a window (or fullscreen), using a lower resolution than that of Windows?

On a side note, is it possible to adjust gamma settings? I find that my (quite small) IBM lenovo T60 screen is a charm to play in but my LG LCD doesn't fare so good.

Tks.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 00:00

Re: Changing resolution

wayreth wrote:I think that, even though the window is 1024x768, the actual game running in the window is scaled to 1920xsomething (the Windows 7 "background" resolution).

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. How would the game run at a higher resolution than the window size? If you mean that the font size is scaled to the desktop resolution rather than the window resolution, then you're wrong. Experiment with other window sizes and you'll see.
Anyway, have a look in tiles_options.txt and use the tile_font_* options to configure the game to your liking.

wayreth wrote:On a side note, is it possible to adjust gamma settings?

No, there isn't. You'll have to look at your graphic card opengl drivers. Or turn the brightness of your monitor.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
wayreth

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 21st March 2012, 12:39

As an aside, but semi-relevant note; if I run Crawl in fullscreen (1440x900), my taskbar often forces itself on top of crawls window, flickering maniacally and obscuring the bottom of the playfield. If you alt-tab in and out of Crawl, it disappears but then Crawl gains a windowed border and top, also obscuring the top of your playfield, which is weird.

It's possible, however, that this is not the fault of Crawl, but rather, Windowblinds and its skinning antics, so I'm not worried. In the end; I had to settle for 1440x850 windowed, leaving the taskbar visible, which is fine. Just... weird.

As Galehar says, you can change the font size directly in the config. I did the same for slightly larger messages on the message window.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?"

My Games/Anime/Weirdness blog: http://detarame.wordpress.com/

For this message the author eharper256 has received thanks:
wayreth

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 23rd March 2012, 11:51

Tried changing the parameters around a bit and it looks better now. Thanks for all the input.

Return to Technical Support