Help with mouse controls

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 21:41

Help with mouse controls

Just wondering if it is possible to play the game solely with the mouse? (so far I can't figure out how to chop up corpses, eat, go up and down stairs, etc.) I have a laptop and it gets to be a pain using the keyboard sometimes. Thanks a bunch!

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 14th March 2012, 21:56

Re: Help with mouse controls

I think so, yes. shift+left click the corpse to butcher it, just click an item to eat it, shift+left click your char to take stairs. More importantly, just put your pointer over something you want to use or interact with and wait a bit. The blue pop up will tell you all that. Also, if your screen resolution is high enough, you should have a command panel on the right of the screen, between the minimap and the inventory panel. If not, you can get it by tweaking the tile_layout_priority option.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

For this message the author galehar has received thanks:
frolicus

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 16th March 2012, 18:41

Re: Help with mouse controls

galehar wrote:I think so, yes. shift+left click the corpse to butcher it, just click an item to eat it, shift+left click your char to take stairs. More importantly, just put your pointer over something you want to use or interact with and wait a bit. The blue pop up will tell you all that. Also, if your screen resolution is high enough, you should have a command panel on the right of the screen, between the minimap and the inventory panel. If not, you can get it by tweaking the tile_layout_priority option.

To be fair, requiring the use of Shift or Ctrl does mean that the game cannot be played just with a mouse. Even the "common commands" are just that. AFAIK, they don't include the command to change levels. Also, is the ability menu mouse-usable yet?

An alternative suggestion that's been brought up before is to add context menus on right-clicking any button, dungeon cell, monster or item. Said menu would include the description, but also stuff like the "use" function of inventory mouseclicks and the current advanced attack key combos (cast a spell, zap a wand, ...) The left mouseclick could work as currently (execute the most likely action). The middle mouse button could execute the action that was last chosen in the context menu (for this type of object, that might be tricky) or pull up the menu if the right-click hasn't been used before (in the current game session). And don't mice have 4 buttons nowadays? (I wouldn't know, I rely on touchpads alone.)
Please report bugs to Crawl's bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

For this message the author jpeg has received thanks:
frolicus

Return to Technical Support