Different Windows Terminal

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2012, 09:00

Different Windows Terminal

Has anyone made crawl run with a different terminal on Windows? I tried mintty and console (which is quite cool as you can run different shells in different tabs). Crawl crashes in both terminals because it "cannot set the cursor position" or "console input mode initialization failed". It is annoying that you cannot resize the Windows terminal. I also don't like the colours and fonts. Is this possible at all, or does crawl use Windows terminal specific calls on Windows?
At the moment I run crawl in a virtual machine because the gnome-term looks much better.

gnome-term:
gnome_term.png
gnome_term.png (100.22 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

windows-term:
windows_term.png
windows_term.png (110.33 KiB) Viewed 3315 times

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2012, 17:19

Re: Different Windows Terminal

It's a bit tedious, but the colors can be controlled (to a degree, anyway) in the init.txt under the settings folder of your crawl directory. Different elements of the UI have different settings, so I don't have any overall advice here. Read through the other files in the directory to see what appeals.

As far as fonts go, the easiest way to control that is to create a shortcut to the Crawl.exe (right-click, "create shortcut" from the context menu). If you go to right-click, "Properties" on the shortcut, you can specify the font. Note that a proportional font is recommended.

You can also specify the number of rows and columns in the window in the "Layout" tab of the shortcut properties, but note that it won't by itself change the size of the dungeon map (though it will potentially make it easier to see any lines that were formerly truncated in various parts of the UI.)

Also, you might want to consider modifying the character set used. By default, I believe Crawl uses ASCII on Windows, whereas it uses Unicode for Unixes. You can also specify ibm for Windows, which I happen to prefer. The init.text setting for this is "char_set", and it's mentioned in the group 6 miscellaneous area.

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 31st January 2012, 21:41

How are you running crawl-console? I don't find any problem in console2.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2012, 11:16

JeffQyzt wrote:It's a bit tedious, but the colors can be controlled (to a degree, anyway) in the init.txt under the settings folder of your crawl directory. Different elements of the UI have different settings, so I don't have any overall advice here. Read through the other files in the directory to see what appeals.

As far as fonts go, the easiest way to control that is to create a shortcut to the Crawl.exe (right-click, "create shortcut" from the context menu). If you go to right-click, "Properties" on the shortcut, you can specify the font. Note that a proportional font is recommended.

You can also specify the number of rows and columns in the window in the "Layout" tab of the shortcut properties, but note that it won't by itself change the size of the dungeon map (though it will potentially make it easier to see any lines that were formerly truncated in various parts of the UI.)

Also, you might want to consider modifying the character set used. By default, I believe Crawl uses ASCII on Windows, whereas it uses Unicode for Unixes. You can also specify ibm for Windows, which I happen to prefer. The init.text setting for this is "char_set", and it's mentioned in the group 6 miscellaneous area.

I use the same configuration for Windows and Unix with char_set = unicode. I'm going to try IBM. I know that you can specify row and cols via the properties, but it's tedious compare to just resizing. I'm using Lucida Console on Windows, but it does not look as good as the generic "Monospace" font that gnome-term uses. Another terminal probably won't fix that problem though.

CommanderC wrote:How are you running crawl-console? I don't find any problem in console2.

I compiled it myself with msys-git netinstall as recommend on downlad page/INSTALL.txt. Tried to run in with bash.exe and cmd.exe.
I'm going to try the offical release and report on that.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 1st February 2012, 16:57

Hm it works with Console and the 0.9 release, but not with the crawl.develz.org/trunk release. With some tweaking it does look way better than in the Windows Terminal.
Anybody knows why Trunk does not work? I don't want to play 0.9 ;)

---
Well, after some digging I found that there were some major changes concerning unicode handling in libw32c.cc . But i cannot determin what the problem is :/ GetLastError gives

ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER
87 (0x57)

Adam: Git blames you ;)
---
Trunk:
trunk_build.png
trunk_build.png (100.04 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

0.9:
release_build.png
release_build.png (97.62 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 02:16

ldierk wrote:I'm using Lucida Console on Windows, but it does not look as good as the generic "Monospace" font that gnome-term uses. Another terminal probably won't fix that problem though.

You could install Gnome's console font in Windows...I believe these are Gnome's fonts:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 03:19

ldierk wrote:Anybody knows why Trunk does not work? I don't want to play 0.9 ;)

Trunk also works. Try these builds: http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 13:41

CommanderC wrote:
ldierk wrote:Anybody knows why Trunk does not work? I don't want to play 0.9 ;)

Trunk also works. Try these builds: http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/

The upper screenshot in my second post is the build from that site.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 13:57

JeffQyzt wrote:
ldierk wrote:I'm using Lucida Console on Windows, but it does not look as good as the generic "Monospace" font that gnome-term uses. Another terminal probably won't fix that problem though.

You could install Gnome's console font in Windows...I believe these are Gnome's fonts:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Thanks for that tip. I'm getting interesting results, need to fiddle a bit with those. If someone's interested: Here's a MS article on how to add fonts to the windows terminal.

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 2nd February 2012, 15:08

It's very strange. Console-2.00b148-Beta_32bit.zip with crawl.develz.org/trunk worked for me.

Anyway, I have noticed an important bug in console: Highlighted characters leave artifacts if you use ClearType (and disabling ClearType is a very bad idea).

Crypt Cleanser

Post Monday, 6th February 2012, 05:04

You could also try a software to get another terminal, it would be less invading than a VM.
(And usually it's Linux user that VM Windows for games... :D )

A DOS terminal emulator:
http://www.roguetemple.com/z/cons2tcod.php

Noteye, a front-end for console roguelike:
http://www.roguetemple.com/z/noteye.php

Return to Technical Support