Question about Online vs Offline

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 03:30

Question about Online vs Offline

Hey I have noticed some differences between the online client I have jumped on (The US server) and the offline client I have downloaded.

First of all, the "graphics" are different. Offline, for instance, the walls are solid yellow blocks. Online, however, they are very cloearly "#" symbols.

And also, I have notice that numpad functions differently. Offline, I can play the game almost entirely with my right hand on the number pad. Every key works, most notable, the "enter" key allows me to confirm selections, go through menus, and fire projectiles.

Online, the "enter" key doesn't work, and I have to move my hand over to the "real" enter key on my actual keyboard to confirm selections and fire projectiles ect...

Any way, I am not complaining at all. But I was curious as to why the offline and online versions seem to be different...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 05:33

Re: Question about Online vs Offline

I'm going to assume you're using Windows and PuTTY, and work off my limited knowledge of both.

On the issue of walls, different default character set; you probably want to add the line
  Code:
char_set = ibm
or uncomment and modify the existing line containing a template for character set modification.

On numpad, you want to go to Options > Terminal > Keyboard and set "Initial State of Numeric Keypad" to NetHack, or so the learndb says.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 07:02

Ah, very nice. Thank you muchly.

p.s where am I supposed to type that code in?

I tried editing it in the options but it seemed to have no effect.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 07:13

Oh also... I I also set that setting to be "nethack" and that had no effect either.

obviously this isn't a huge deal, but if anybody could help me figure this out I would be... "souped."

hehehe

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 08:02

You say you edited it in the options file; if this means you changed the existing line, were you sure to remove the preceding hash ("uncomment")?

On numpad, you might want to try a keymap (tilde key ingame) from numpad enter to real enter, or fiddle with numlock, but other than that I don't have much of a clue other than using a different key for the purpose.

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 08:45

You know what, I am really sorry. I didn't realize the instructions were on the website. :/ I got it now. Thanks for the help.

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 18th December 2010, 19:36

Spicycrab, please post the link so that anyone who finds this topic will find the answer. Thanks.

Return to Technical Support