Compiling and installing trunk on Linux

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 15:25

Compiling and installing trunk on Linux

Now if only there was a script for installing Trunk on Linux machines. I tried, I installed Git and followed the directions, but I got some error or other. So for now I'll stick with 0.7 on my Linux machine.

If someone could make a tarball or install package of a stable version of trunk I'd greatly appreciate it!

Server Admin

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 17:55

Re: OSX install

What exactly failed with the instructions here, danr?
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 18:42

Re: Compiling and installing trunk on Linux

I'm not at home to check exactly, but here's what I recall -

- I got git installed, that was easy
- The git clone command worked, as far as I could tell
- But I couldn't get any of the the git checkout commands shown there to work.

Now that I look at it again, I wonder if I skipped the first checkout -b command. That's quite likely, because the sample command there is for checking out the 0.6 branch, and I wanted trunk.

I'll try again tonight, but in the meantime, I think I can suggest that the instructions for the checkout -b step could be improved. I don't know what the options are (e.g. for 0.7 stable should I substitute 0.7 or 0.7.1 for the 0.6 in the example?)

Perhaps it could list the recommended commands for checking out each major branch as well as trunk? Alternately, what is the git command to see all the available branches for checkout?

The next issue I can anticipate, looking at the instructions, is not knowing where git will put the source once checked out. Once I know that, I can compile it just as I did the 0.7 release, and that I do have figured out.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 22:29

danr wrote:I'm not at home to check exactly, but here's what I recall -

- I got git installed, that was easy
- The git clone command worked, as far as I could tell
- But I couldn't get any of the the git checkout commands shown there to work.

Now that I look at it again, I wonder if I skipped the first checkout -b command. That's quite likely, because the sample command there is for checking out the 0.6 branch, and I wanted trunk.

I'll try again tonight, but in the meantime, I think I can suggest that the instructions for the checkout -b step could be improved. I don't know what the options are (e.g. for 0.7 stable should I substitute 0.7 or 0.7.1 for the 0.6 in the example?)

Perhaps it could list the recommended commands for checking out each major branch as well as trunk? Alternately, what is the git command to see all the available branches for checkout?

The next issue I can anticipate, looking at the instructions, is not knowing where git will put the source once checked out. Once I know that, I can compile it just as I did the 0.7 release, and that I do have figured out.

git checkout is to change branch or version. If you want to play trunk, you don't need it. By default you are on trunk. If it fails, maybe you forgot git submodule update --init.
The -b option to checkout is to create branch. I don't think this line is necessary. When I want to try a branch I just do git checkout branch_name. To see all the available branches, do git branch -a. Release versions are tagged. Do git tag to see them. You can checkout a tag, or also any version (like 0.8.0-a0-4553-g2b9a81d) or commit number.
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 13th January 2011, 23:11

Okay. So if I'm "on trunk", how do I compile the source. I know how to compile, but how do I find it, where do I compile it from?

Return to Technical Support