Trouble compiling crawl-tiles on PCLinuxOS

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 12:07

Trouble compiling crawl-tiles on PCLinuxOS

Hello all,

I will start right out the gate -- is it even possible to run Crawl (Tiles version preferably) on PCLinuxOS?

If the answer to that is 'no' then the rest of this could probably be ignored =D

However, if it's possible to build and play crawl-tiles on that distro, then I've a few questions, and any assistance is appreciated.

Right now I've been trying to build crawl on PCLinuxOS and been having a heck of a time doing this--I am obviously not understanding something, but I'm pretty new to Linux anyway, and brand new to this distro, so that is certainly no surprise.

Before I go into a book on what I've tried so far (it's a lot of stuff), perhaps the easiest thing would be to ask if a good, comprehensive FAQ/guide exists on properly compiling crawl on a non-Debian distro, if such a guide exists. So far, the texts I've found for trying to run crawl have a lot of gaps and inconsistencies and I think I might just be making things worse lol

If nothing specific like that exists, then briefly (I can provide more details if needed of course):

I downloaded the source code tarball and I have been able to successfully unpackage that, and obtain git, and I can make it through the 'git clone' and 'git submodule' steps, which seems to successfully build the crawl-ref directory with source, but when I attempt the 'make TILES=yes' step, the errors come. I've had it fail most often with SDL_image.h but after many grueling attempts to wrangle in SDL on the machine, installing what I think is the correct files for the SDL_image, I still cannot make crawl happy. I've done many other things, but again, the details would be a lot and I don't want to over due it.

In short and conclusion, does anyone know of some steps and/or simple checks and tricks I can do to build a functioning crawl on a Linux distro that isn't Ubuntu??

Thanks for any and all advice, and I appreciate anyone's time =)

-Chris

co

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 5th November 2011, 14:48

Re: Trouble compiling crawl-tiles on PCLinuxOS

Correct me if Im wrong but, it should be "possible" to compile crawl on any linux distro, the only variable is how much work you have to do to make it work.
That said, I have no problem compiling crawl with tiles on my Arch Linux box. If you give me the output of make, i'll take a look.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Sunday, 6th November 2011, 11:30

After reading the documentation with crawl I was thinking the same thing, that it should be able to compile on just about any Linux in existence, but I wasn't certain =D

I believe what you are asking for is the text after 'make' fails to complete, which is as follows:

Code:
[crimsonblue@localhost source]$ make TILES=y
Package sdl was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `sdl.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'sdl' found
No package 'sdl' found
No package 'sdl' found
No package 'sdl' found
make -C rltiles all ARCH=i586-mandriva-linux-gnu
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/crimsonblue/Downloads/dcss/stone_soup-0.9.1/crawl/crawl-ref/source/rltiles'
    * rebuilding crawl: new build flags or prefix
    HOSTCXX tool/tile_colour.o
    HOSTCXX tool/tile.o
tool/tile.cc:7:17: fatal error: SDL.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[1]: *** [tool/tile.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/crimsonblue/Downloads/dcss/stone_soup-0.9.1/crawl/crawl-ref/source/rltiles'
  * If you experience any problems building Crawl, please take a second look
  * at INSTALL.txt: the solution to your problem just might be in there

I've tried to add SDL which I thought was on the computer correctly, and while sdl.pc is not in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH, the SDL_image.pc is present (not sure if that matters, though); at this time, I am not sure what I am missing and/or doing all wrong and failing at lol, but I think I might be getting closer--or perhaps just moving in a tighter circle? It's probably something simple that I'm missing. Perhaps I need to create the SDL.h file on my own?

If this is not quite the text you were speaking of, let me know and I can provide anything else necessary. I really want this game to work as Ubuntu chased me away and I'm so far digging PCLinuxOS =)

Thanks for taking a look, I appreciate it!

Lair Larrikin

Post Monday, 7th November 2011, 22:31

Edit: should have read the OP better =/

Hmmm maybe try making a copy of SDL_image.pc and renaming it sdl.pc in the PKG_CONFIG_PATH?
Also what directory were you in when you ran the submodule init command?

dk

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 30th December 2011, 09:21

Don't know to much about PCLinuxOS, but I think the package you are looking for is libSDL-devel. It contains SDL.h. Same for libSDL_image-devel.

Return to Technical Support