0.25.0 --- crash on first downstairs

Problems running or configuring the software, commands & options, compiling, different platforms, using the interface, documentation, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 28th June 2020, 23:46

0.25.0 --- crash on first downstairs

Posting here as I assume I'm setting it up wrong. On Linux, I downloaded the tarball, untarred, cd'd in, then

Code:
cd crawl-ref
echo 0.25.0 > source/util/release_ver # to avoid dependence on git
cd source
make TILES=y
rm -rf ~/saves # to get rid of any crap left over from a prior install
./crawl -builddb
./crawl

and it works fine until I take a downstairs, at which point the game dies with an error message about "Failed to load map, rebuilding all maps", that the "map was built for a different version of Crawl" (I think it was 6.195 while the current version is 34.something), and then that it's trying to rebuild the des cache but can't because I didn't run "crawl -builddb" first (which I did, see above). So I assume I'm messing up the install somehow. Googling reveals that servers have sometimes had similar problems, unrepeatedly; but this is repeatable. Advice?

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 29th June 2020, 15:56

Re: 0.25.0 --- crash on first downstairs

Self-replying as I solved it (I hope) and someone else might have the same problem --- it was my .crawlrc file. In my innocence, I'd thought I should specify a crawl_dir other than "random location in the build tree". This apparently broke things. I don't know what the intended use case for the crawl_dir option is then, or how one would set one up correctly; but anyway fixed now.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th June 2020, 17:54

Re: 0.25.0 --- crash on first downstairs

andrew wrote:Self-replying as I solved it (I hope) and someone else might have the same problem --- it was my .crawlrc file. In my innocence, I'd thought I should specify a crawl_dir other than "random location in the build tree". This apparently broke things. I don't know what the intended use case for the crawl_dir option is then, or how one would set one up correctly; but anyway fixed now.

crawl_dir is where it finds the crawl data files "/dat", should you want to locate them in a different place than the executable (for example many system-wide applications put the application itself in e.x. /usr/local/bin but the data (logs etc.) in /var or /etc)

The default for crawl_dir is "the same folder that contains the executable"

It's also the default location for the settings, saves and morgue folders (which can be overridden separately if desired)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
andrew

Return to Technical Support